Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Hi. I've tried to find a thread about this, but couldn't find anything. The issue is I'm noticing my applications such as Skype take longer to start up with the new iOS 4. Although even simple things like when I go to Settings, I see a blank screen for a couple seconds before the Settings menu will open up. Same with Music. My iPod used to be a lot faster (read: "snappier") than this, but now it seems slooooow. It's not a huge issue, just a little annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I also still have a little over 18GB of free space, so I don't think it's a RAM issue.

If there is a thread about this, someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Vursz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
i do know what you're talking about...it does seem a shade slower. Not super pronounced on mine, but noticeable. I'm OK with it as is, because there are a lot of iOS 4 updates that make it worthwhile to me, and the battery life is loads better...but yeah, it's not just you.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
i do know what you're talking about...it does seem a shade slower. Not super pronounced on mine, but noticeable. I'm OK with it as is, because there are a lot of iOS 4 updates that make it worthwhile to me, and the battery life is loads better...but yeah, it's not just you.

+1

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
That's odd as I haven't really noticed a slowdown at all for me. My iPod seems to run the same speed that it used to. Have you tried doing a restore and then not using the backup? Some people have had better luck that way.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
My iPhone 3G is significantly slower. It's most noticeable for me when I zStart up the calendar, it just drags!

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Thanks everyone for your responses! It's good to hear other people's experiences. So I guess I'm not the only one. I think the biggest thing I've noticed is that Skype takes longer to start up even though I have it on "Sign In Automatically". Sometimes it even fails to sign in and just kicks me back to the iPod home screen. I never experienced these things before iOS 4.

Thanks for the feedback!

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Thanks everyone for your responses! It's good to hear other people's experiences. So I guess I'm not the only one. I think the biggest thing I've noticed is that Skype takes longer to start up even though I have it on "Sign In Automatically". Sometimes it even fails to sign in and just kicks me back to the iPod home screen. I never experienced these things before iOS 4.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sure!!!

dougouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Same with mine! My itouch 3g even freezes sometimes now... so i have to reboot it and crap...

jcal0820

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Serious Battery drainage since iOS4 update

Ever since updating my 3rd gen iPod Touch 32GB to iOS4, my battery life has degraded severely. I'm getting less than half the battery life I used to on the same tasks and applications I was doing prior to getting the update. Has anyone else also experienced this?

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Ever since updating my 3rd gen iPod Touch 32GB to iOS4, my battery life has degraded severely. I'm getting less than half the battery life I used to on the same tasks and applications I was doing prior to getting the update. Has anyone else also experienced this?

Almost everybody, try and restore it.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
My 3G sometimes runs sluggish as well after upgraded to iOS 4. My guess is 3G has barely enough ram (128M) and the processor is slow, between the two it can barely handle iOS 4. It happens on my friend's 3G as well.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Hi. I've tried to find a thread about this, but couldn't find anything. The issue is I'm noticing my applications such as Skype take longer to start up with the new iOS 4. Although even simple things like when I go to Settings, I see a blank screen for a couple seconds before the Settings menu will open up. Same with Music. My iPod used to be a lot faster (read: "snappier") than this, but now it seems slooooow. It's not a huge issue, just a little annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I also still have a little over 18GB of free space, so I don't think it's a RAM issue.

If there is a thread about this, someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

That's not been my experience so far. If anything, my iPod touch 3G seems a little faster with iOS 4. Speed-wise, I didn't notice much of a difference when I tried out the the supposedly mighty iPhone 4 at the Apple store.

I haven't tried all of my third party apps (see below) so maybe there are issues in that regard. But the Apple apps (Safari, Mail, Contacts, Calendar and so on), its either a tab bit quicker than with iPhone 3.whatever or no difference. Definitely no slow down. No delay launching the settings app.

All of the new features (folders, so-called multitasking) seem to work just fine. Again, not noticeable difference from the iPhone 4 that jumped out at me.

Full disclosure - one thing I did notice is that after using the iPad for months now, the iPod is just too small. Even with the iOS 4 improvements, the iPod has been regulated to pretty much a pocket music player, the iPad just blows it out of the water for just about anything else.

richieboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Yup

I've had the same very noticeable issues with the iOS4 update on a 2nd-gen iPod Touch. everything is generally slower than it was previously, with blank screens showing much longer before apps are displayed, and Safari rendering pages very slowly (so much so that when I was listening to the iPod whilst loading a webpage, the music started to stutter!) I've also noticed a HUGE drop in battery performance; it no longer lasts all day like it used to.

I think this is a big price to pay for some folders and a couple of other 'non-CPU intensive' features (2nd-gen don't even get multitasking!) and I'm not happy with Apple for failing to provide the ability to downgrade.

To those that have yet to upgrade, be warned!

Scuzzbozo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Found a fix

My iPhone was very slow within safari sometimes freezing for 10seconds or more. I fixed this by turning off facebook and twitter push notifications. I haven't had a freeze since.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
My iPhone was very slow within safari sometimes freezing for 10seconds or more. I fixed this by turning off facebook and twitter push notifications. I haven't had a freeze since.
We know already.... ;)

What does it do anyway? Could someone actually explain this to me? Last time i asked i got "pushes notifications to the device" or something like that.

Herminius

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Hi i have an itouch 1st gen, unfortunatky can only use soft until 3.1.3:mad:, but from what i saw today i tested a 64gb 3g itouch with ios4 and it was (compared with an 4g 8gb ios4.1) extremely slow in comparisson, pression the main botton to return to the main screen from the config, well it made me wonder if i really pressed the botton hard enough, the itouch 4g super super fast, of course it has the new processor a4. Now i am not so p?)8%$# itmy itouch can only update to 3.1.3.

pogi

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
I upgraded my iPod Touch 2G 8Gb to iOS4.2.1. Acctually, I didnot want to do it, but I had some problems and after Clear all settings and contents. Only thing I could do to start my iPod again was upgrade to 4.2.1. Any other attempt with 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 was unsuccesfull. I was tired, so I tried with 4.2.1 and it worked well.

Yes, iPod is a little slower now, but I use it normally (watching movies, Safary, Skype, some games). When I say "little", I mean really little :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.