PDA

View Full Version : crop circle projects (does this count)

jefhatfield
Aug 15, 2002, 10:46 AM
so dukestreet challenged mischief and i to making a crop circle...actually in the sand or on pavement with chalk to be legal...and so far i have heard from mischief and we are just waiting for a convenient time

i have some understanding of large scale outdoor projects and mischief is well versed in mathematics so we are up to the challenge

when we pull it off, i will post a photograph;)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 15, 2002, 11:11 AM
I can't wait to see it - you should post the design you're going to do before you go out start drawing - so we can see the intended design vs the results.

D

jefhatfield
Aug 15, 2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I can't wait to see it - you should post the design you're going to do before you go out start drawing - so we can see the intended design vs the results.

D

i was so confident, too on making the crop circles i have seen...but the one you showed us is the most complex one i have ever seen with dozens of circles spiraling within a hexagon within a circle...and all this overnight?

it is an amazing piece of art whoever made it

i will confer with mischief and see what is up on this weekend

mischief
Aug 15, 2002, 12:12 PM
The next couple of weekends will be crazy. I have my dad's 57th birthday party this weekend and a bigass staff party to arrange for next weekend which I am madly (ahem) acquiring music for...

How big do you want to make this to make the point? The example Duke used was easily an Acre in size.... That's a lot of friggin beach.:eek:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 15, 2002, 12:19 PM
I won't accept anything but the largest you can get away with. The smaller it is, the easier it is. That's one of the reasons crop circles are pretty damn amazing.

Make the call yourself, but I'm hoping you can pull off some thing around or more than 100'x100'

D

jefhatfield
Aug 15, 2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mischief
The next couple of weekends will be crazy. I have my dad's 57th birthday party this weekend and a bigass staff party to arrange for next weekend which I am madly (ahem) acquiring music for...

How big do you want to make this to make the point? The example Duke used was easily an Acre in size.... That's a lot of friggin beach.:eek:

it looks to be large enough so we won't be able to see the work from ground level in it's entirety...maybe the circle is 150-300 ft in diameter?

we will literally have to trust the poles, string/ropes, compass, drawings, or whatever we use.. the beach boardwalk is the only place i can think of where one can get an instant snapshot of the work without having to climb some high mountain with telephoto lens or have an aircraft

the 50-75 feet of the beach's skytram will give at least a general view

it sounds like it will be a lot of fun, even if it doesn't work well...it may take several tries and several separate forum posts to get it good and i am ok with showing the progress...however bad at first

i bet the good crop circle makers, who i believe to all be humans, had to practice to get good at it

the crop circle dukestreet gave us is not only hard to draw, but harder to make on a large scale

the concept in general is easy with a hegagon drawn out from center at 60 degree angles within a circle is easy enough...but the placement and exact size of all those peripheral circles might be very hard to pull off

if duke lets us, we may only be able to have enough time for the spiraling circles in a hexagon within a circle with the time we have allotted...we can only do this during one day and i know the authorities would look down on us working on this thing afterhours

let me know what weekend is good...next weekend i am in la but other than that, things are good for me any weekend

jefhatfield
Aug 15, 2002, 12:33 PM
I won't accept anything but the largest you can get away with. The smaller it is, the easier it is. That's one of the reasons crop circles are pretty damn amazing.

Make the call yourself, but I'm hoping you can pull off some thing around or more than 100'x100'

D

more than 10,000 sqare feet

ok, then i will make sure i have tons of materials, digital camera, and an all day pass on the skytram (at the santa cruz beach and boardwalk)

this will be very fun and i know if we even make a half good attempt at this, the temptation to find a field will be huge...but illegal damaging of even dead weeds is looked down upon in california...here, we leave alone dead, dry trees and when someone tosses a cig out a window, poof...all gone

and the authorities won't clear out the sun-dried dead trees laying on the ground ready for a fire in the 90 degree california heat

Mr. Anderson
Aug 16, 2002, 07:50 AM
you will most likely get some local publicity - which won't be a bad thing - if you can pull it off, that'd be great.

Your mention of the the string and ropes is a good one, that I hadn't said anything about before. As the string gets longer, it stretches and becomes harder to keep an accurate length. One of the reasons some of those crop cirlces are so impressive is there uniformity and accuracy.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the results.

D

Durandal7
Aug 16, 2002, 04:35 PM
So are you guys going to do this at night or in the day? I just saw Signs so my interest in the subject has been aroused.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 16, 2002, 06:22 PM
Out of all the crop circles I've seen, that one is pretty tame, too regular. Here's the one I picked out for them to do.

D

Durandal7
Aug 16, 2002, 07:08 PM
That's a good one :D That must be one of the more famous crop circles, all the sites I went to had that one plastered everywhere.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 16, 2002, 10:16 PM
Its a nice obvious patern, but not something easily done - and if you look at the scale - compared to the road on the right - it truly is impressive. If the two of them can pull of anything close to this I'll be impressed. But they'd have to do it in the dark! ;)

firewire2001
Aug 17, 2002, 12:20 PM
http://www.circlemakers.org/ .

They tell you whats involved -- if you guys were actually making crop circles with grain of corn or whatever..

its crazy to see all the stuff theyve created that you would think not even the biggest team of people could have created..

Mr. Anderson
Aug 17, 2002, 01:56 PM
nice site, where do they show the how to stuff, I looked around and only found pics, but no extras.

D

firewire2001
Aug 19, 2002, 04:40 PM
nice site, where do they show the how to stuff, I looked around and only found pics, but no extras.

D

yeah.. ive looked around for a while now and havent been able to find the section where the creators of the website actually made a crop circle...

apparently they made it for honda or sumthing for one of their commercials..

a pretty neat site, nonetheless...

btw: im seeing signs today... ive heard its pretty good.. any opinions?

-f