PDA

View Full Version : Portable video players fail to tempt consumers

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2004, 09:45 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Portable video players fail to tempt consumers (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041103104532)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iMeowbot
Nov 3, 2004, 10:23 AM
Why have marketers been positioning these things against devices like iPod anyway? Handheld video is wicked obviously a niche product.

2GMario
Nov 3, 2004, 10:34 AM
The article isnt exactly clear on what its talking about.

a: you cannot even begin to compare markets in europe, japan, usa, britian, or anything else. thier so different it makes for a simple dumb conversation

europe has allways been ahead of usa in fashion, not sure how electronics go. and for those of us that live close to the border here, like me and my friends in buffalo, a quick drive (1.5 hours) to toronto over in canada and you wouldnt even recognize some of the cloths they wear or where the style came from.

b: a video ipod, the size of a brick and probably weighing as much doesnt appeal to me

a video ipod design by apple, with excellent battery (8+ hours given the screen) and excellent storage (lets say on average dvd rips to 5-7gb, so lets say 50gb to get about 7 uncompress movies) for a decent price (400-600) would definately appeal to me. i have a lcd panel in my car that i can huck up to a dvd player but dont because i dont like the current car audio dvd players and a house one is to big (i've tried).

i also have a laptop, but i usually leave it in the basement next to my g5 and no dvd player in my bedroom would definately welcome a video ipod with video out when tv absolutly sucks at 1am and i dont feel like going into the family room to watch a movie

or the shear fact that it would hold dvds / videos on it. theres been a number of times i have bought a movie and gone to a friends house, wanted to watch it and had to go home to get it. as i do with my ipod, if a device were similar in size id keep it on me all the time as i do with my ipod.

i dont think 1 device "hybrid" should cover all factors, but your talking 3 different markets, audio, pictures, and video, which all require a screen, all require some sort of mass storage, and all require some output.

the new vPod - 1000 songs, 1000 pictures, 5 of your favorite movies, on hand, everywhere you are.

hybrids are bad if its done bad. if a hybrid is done good and no single feature lacks, bring it.

-Mario

munkle
Nov 3, 2004, 11:22 AM
Shhh...don't tell Thurrot that Steve said this all along! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure the day will come when portable video will become popular and mainstream, namely the day when home videos become a lot more popular and they can keep the size down to make it a true portable device.

shamino
Nov 4, 2004, 06:56 PM
The article isnt exactly clear on what its talking about.
Seemed clear to me - that people aren't interested in portable video. And they're not interested in multi-function devices if it means sacrificing anything on the audio-playback side.
a video ipod design by apple, with excellent battery (8+ hours given the screen) and excellent storage (lets say on average dvd rips to 5-7gb, so lets say 50gb to get about 7 uncompress movies) for a decent price (400-600) would definately appeal to me. i have a lcd panel in my car that i can huck up to a dvd player but dont because i dont like the current car audio dvd players and a house one is to big (i've tried).
I think you confirmed what the article (and lots of others) have been saying.

You're not interested in a hand-held portable video player. You would want to use such a device as a car-player. IMO, people like you would be better served by a good DVD player designed to be built-in to a vehicle, not a small iPod-like player.
or the shear fact that it would hold dvds / videos on it. theres been a number of times i have bought a movie and gone to a friends house, wanted to watch it and had to go home to get it. as i do with my ipod, if a device were similar in size id keep it on me all the time as i do with my ipod.
I don't think so. Hard drives simply aren't big enough to solve this problem.

One of the biggest appeals (IMO) of an iPod is that you can load your entire music collection and never have to worry about loading it. (Now that they've released a 60G model, this is a possibility for my collection :) ).

Now try and apply the same principal to video. A typical DVD contains between 6 and 10GB of data. My DVD collection consists of 250 titles. If we assume, for the sake of argument, that each title is only one disc (not true, but good enough to make my point) and that each has 7GB we're looking at 1.7TB of data. Even if you recompress the video to 1/10 of its size we're still looking at 170G of storage. There's no way you're going to cram that storage into any of today's iPods. You'd need a 3.5" hard drive to hold everything and that would make the entire unit (to quote your words) "the size of a brick and probably weighing as much." And, of course, the act of recompressing will seriously degrade the quality, since DVDs are already MPEG compressed.

We're probably looking at at least three years (maybe more) before 1.8" hard drives are developed with storage in the 160-200G range.

Now, you could, of course, erase and re-load the unit and not store your entire collection on it. But if you do that, you're stuck with the problem you were originally trying to solve - not having to run back home to get a DVD you forgot to bring along (or load into the player.)