Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderhunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Okay, so I have a Passport Essential External HD, and I'm beginning to have some trouble with it. When I plug it in via usb, i get the following message:

"Disk Insertion: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

And it gives me two options, Ignore or Eject. Eject just brings up the warning again. Ignore ignores it.

I've been searching the internet all day for solutions. Nothing I've done so far has worked.

I tried resetting the usb drive by holding "command+option+r+o" (or whatever it is, I can't quite remember now)
I've tried updating the WD firmware and software
I've tried erasing the hard drive via both Disk Utility and the WD Smartware software.

With Disk Utility, and the WD Smartware, it reads it as a 2 TB hard drive, but it's only 180 GB. I thought that was weird.

I don't know. I'm stuck. At this point I'll sacrifice all the memory on it just to get it working again, but I can't figure this out. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you!

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
If the computer thinks it's 2 TB but is actually a much smaller drive, then your drive has a mechanical or electrical failure. You'll need to replace that drive.

Is your drive still under warranty? You can check online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.