PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating iRiver H30 "doesn't begin to compare" to iPod...

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2004, 12:48 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Frustrating iRiver H30 \"doesn\'t begin to compare\" to iPod Photo (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041103134813)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iMeowbot
Nov 3, 2004, 01:00 PM
The H320's 2-inch color screen is the same size as the iPod, and almost the same resolution (220 x 165 pixels vs. the iPod Photo's 220 x 176), but none of our photos took up the player's entire screen. iRiver says this is because each photo is automatically resized for optimal viewing.
I figured that as much would be true of players that process photos for viewing on their own. That kind of scaling is easier to perform, but it's a lousy compromise when the pixel space is already limited.

Chimera
Nov 3, 2004, 03:29 PM
I think this article is a good response to those people putting down the iPod Photo, it lays out plainly that for the target market for the iPod this device is absolutely perfect (maybe excluding price).

It also shows some major flaws with the iRiver, not including the ability to see album artwork seems a stupid thing to leave out, and as for the user interface and ease of use...

I guess that within the next 6 months that there will be plenty of competitors just like with the standard iPod now but fortunately for Apple they have the Christmas season to themselves to keep raking in the money.

*8gb iPod mini in Q1 2005 here i come*

requies
Nov 3, 2004, 03:39 PM
while these competing players do offer impressive feature sets, one of the main things that they are missing is the tight software integration offered by the ipod.

i love that i don't ever have to worry about what's on my ipod. it's always taken care of for me whenever i plug it in to charge.

the ipod gets slammed over and over on places like slashdot. it seems that geeks underestimate the importance of interface and integration. including those geeks that are designing the competition.

Santaduck
Nov 3, 2004, 09:40 PM
The important detail of this review is the author... the incomparably influential Walt Mossberg of the WSJ... and that this is yet another in a recent string of glowing review of Apple products.

Just by himself, he can convince more people to 'Switch' than an entirely unconvincing campaign by Apple...