Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
I just got a new Mac Pro (Not technically new cause it's the model with the Harpertown processor) it's got two processors and a nice graphics card and... well basically I'm quite confident it will run any mac game fine. But I want a game with really good graphics for the mac. Anyway, I just want some game that I can play and just look around and go "Wow". Maybe this is a dumb question but I just wanted to show off my new computer with some sick graphics :)

Thanks

Oh and a note. I don't want to run Bootcamp cause I don't want to buy windows so please don't suggest PC games. And also don't tell me to get a console for good games. I'm asking for a good looking game for my MAC, not.... Anything else. :)

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Try out the Steam client for Mac. There is an absolutely massive library of games from there to choose from. In terms of graphics performance, Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare, Civilizations IV, Half-Life 2, Portal, or Elder Scrolls IV are just a few excellent examples.

Mac Pros are so beast. You must be one happy individual. :cool: :apple:

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Try Dragon Age: Origins. Fantastic game with great graphics ( especially the effects ) and if you have a nice video card ( say 8800GT, 4850/4870 ), it will be an amazing overall experience.

Other than Valve games, BioShock comes to mind. Epic game and quite a looker. :cool:

Enjoy

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Team Fortress 2 and BioShock are the best that come to mind. League of Legends, while not so graphically intensive, I think is gorgeous, and will be coming to Mac this summer. And it's free.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena was released for Mac some time ago and didn't receive any attention, so I don't know how well it would run. Only graphically intense game I've tested is Bioshock and that is indeed one beautiful game, both technically and especially artistically :)

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
The later Source-engine games (Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, etc) are pretty good for graphics, even years after their release. Chronicles of Riddick is pretty good looking as well, and even the aged Bioshock still holds up pretty well.

For what they are, Torchlight and Braid are also VERY visually pleasing, although they may not win any awards for graphics tech.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
well basically I'm quite confident it will run any mac game fine. But I want a game with really good graphics for the mac. Anyway, I just want some game that I can play and just look around and go "Wow". Maybe this is a dumb question but I just wanted to show off my new computer with some sick graphics :)

Whats your gpu? i bet its something slow like a 7300gt.. unless you have a minumum of an 8800gt you wont be able to max out any game.

There is not a single mac game that makes you go "wow". They are all mostly old ported games. IF you want a WOW play crysis in windows.

Oh and a note. I don't want to run Bootcamp cause I don't want to buy windows so please don't suggest PC games. And also don't tell me to get a console for good games. I'm asking for a good looking game for my MAC, not.... Anything else. :)

People dont buy macs to play games... Bootcamp, buy a pc, or 360/PS3 is the only real options. Since the 10.6.4 update games run like **** and its pointless to even try on it.

donuttakedonuts

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
You guys are gonna laugh at me, but playing Homeworld 2 on my ibook g4 still makes me go wow... Its not cod mw2, but its damn impressive for a 6 year old game.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Check out Modern Warfare 1 or 2.

Edit: You might have a hard time finding Modern Warfare 2 for Mac, as I've learned. Go for Modern Warfare 1 then.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Oh and a note. I don't want to run Bootcamp cause I don't want to buy windows so please don't suggest PC games.

Although it's a mortal sin, and will result in you going to hell :)rolleyes:), you could always borrow a copy of XP from a friend, torrent it, or try any number of ways of getting windows for free. I'm sure that Windows would likely allow you to play prettier games at higher graphics quality than OS X at the moment.

Stick it to the Gates! \m/ :cool:

And I agree, Half Life 2 (Orange Box?) is quite pretty, and definitely worth playing if you haven't yet. You should pick it up next time it's on special on Steam.

If not, Starcraft 2 will be out in a few weeks.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Not counting Boot Camp, the only recent-ish game that comes to mind is Bioshock (and even that looks a little bit better in Boot Camp with the DirectX 10 effects).

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Whats your gpu? i bet its something slow like a 7300gt.. unless you have a minumum of an 8800gt you wont be able to max out any game.

It's the GeForce GTX 285. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW387ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU2MDA That should be plenty right? And I didn't get that mac to play games, I understand that you need a PC for serious gaming. I got the Mac pro for color grading and compositing, however I just wanted to play some games on it. And I suppose I have some friends with XP that I could "Borrow" ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Well there's always been a Mac game with 'WOW' at any time since 1984.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in the last few years, runs like a dream on my Mac Pro.
Battlefield 2142 before that.
Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty: United Offensive before that.
Dungeon Siege before that.
And so on, back through all the Myst versions and countless games like Another World / Out of This World before that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.