PDA

View Full Version : Aspyr opens pre-orders for Mac Doom 3

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2004, 03:47 PM
Category: Games
Link: Aspyr opens pre-orders for Mac Doom 3 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041103164748)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

isgoed
Nov 3, 2004, 04:21 PM
Availability: This item will be released on December 20, 2004. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
That is faster than I expected. The XBox version will only be available in march 2005. I expected the mac version to be after the XBox.
Preliminary system requirements were listed as follows. Note the G5 requirement, 32M video, and the OS X 10.3.6 (only available to developers from Apple). We're hoping there will not be a CPU check upon the application's launch. One of Aspyr's other titles, Battlefield 1942, had a CPU speed requirement that was later rescinded in their "Public Beta Patch 1." If a CPU check mainfests for Doom 3, it will be the first major title to lock out G4s entirely.

Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
PowerPC G5 1.5 GHz or faster
384MB RAM (512MB recommended)
2.2 GB free disk space
ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 3 or better
32MB of Video Ram (VRAM)
DVD drive required to install and play
Only a 32mb Card? I can hardly believie it.

And since when is there a 1.5Ghz G5?

The requirements that are pointed out are interesting also. OSX 10.3.6 probably for faster OpenGL support and hopefully complete ARB2 support. It is interesting to see wether there is indeed a CPU check, because I could see a G4 @ 1.8Ghz running this game, so that would be an interesting development.

I see this more aa technological statement, since I am not gonna buy doom3 for mac anyway. I already finished Doom3. The graphics were great but the levels got boring. Hopefully someone will license the engine and make a cool versitile game for it *which will come to the mac*.

combatcolin
Nov 3, 2004, 04:36 PM
Um, at the moment in time G5's are just the same as a G4 chip with a higher clock speed.

Making Doom 3 a G5 only game is neither a technical nessisity nor good buisness sense.

Standard comments on GPU.

TwitchOSX
Nov 3, 2004, 05:17 PM
I have heard people talking about Doom 3 for the PC and how you need a super computer to run it. Games ALWAYS lag on the Mac.. I know Halo lags hard on my system unless I have the settings to "medium" on all settings. Its OK, but when I turn the settings up all the way, it looks fricken awesome.. just not playable. I have a Dual 800 G4 w/ GeForce 3 card. No way in hell I will be able to play Doom 3.. that sucks.

Also.. anybody played Battlefield 1942 for OSX? How does it run? Do you think I will be able to play it smoothly on my G4? I played it when the demo came out on some PC's at a friends internet cafe and it ran very very well. Hoping that the port to OSX doesnt suck.

iJon
Nov 3, 2004, 06:18 PM
Battlefield plays like ass on a Dual 1.8. It plays all high settings on my 2 year old PC. Doom 3 may run a little bit better just because ID does a good job of porting, but I highly doubt any G4 will be able to handle this. I would only consider playing this game well on a G5 with a 128MB video card.

iJon

TwitchOSX
Nov 3, 2004, 07:16 PM
Dont tell me Battlefield runs like ass on a Dual 1.8! That means I will never be able to play it.. and that pisses me off. How is it compared to Halo? Do you have the settings turned to max in BF1942? Help me out here.... Thanks,

TwitchOSX

iJon
Nov 3, 2004, 07:19 PM
Dont tell me Battlefield runs like ass on a Dual 1.8! That means I will never be able to play it.. and that pisses me off. How is it compared to Halo? Do you have the settings turned to max in BF1942? Help me out here.... Thanks,

TwitchOSX
Well once it came in at our store I popped in on the demo machine to see how it ran. It was completly stock, 256RAM, 64MB video card and so forth. But to be honest, I don't think more ram could have saved that game. A PC with similar specs would have played that game more than fine. I don't remember the exact settings I had it on, but I know I had to knock it down to medium and it was still awful.

I can't compare it to Halo cause I have no played it on the G5. I simply don't play games on my mac, they play like ass. Before you go buying some games I would either make sure you can return it or download a demo or pirate a copy and give it a shot before purchasing a full version.

iJon

TwitchOSX
Nov 3, 2004, 08:50 PM
Well once it came in at our store I popped in on the demo machine to see how it ran. It was completly stock, 256RAM, 64MB video card and so forth. But to be honest, I don't think more ram could have saved that game. A PC with similar specs would have played that game more than fine. I don't remember the exact settings I had it on, but I know I had to knock it down to medium and it was still awful.

I can't compare it to Halo cause I have no played it on the G5. I simply don't play games on my mac, they play like ass. Before you go buying some games I would either make sure you can return it or download a demo or pirate a copy and give it a shot before purchasing a full version.

iJon

Well that sux. I really really wanted to play that game. I did the "download from somewhere before purchasing" with Halo and everything worked out great. I tried the same with Battlefield 1942 and it didnt seem to work.. would really like to try it though since NOBODY lets you return games after you buy them... especially at the local Apple Reseller which is run by a bunch of tards. So.. I guess I will have to get it somehow before I purchase it to try it. If its ass (like Nascar games) I definately wont buy it.

Anybody tried this game on a system comparable to a Dual 800 G4?

Nermal
Nov 3, 2004, 09:48 PM
Anybody tried this game on a system comparable to a Dual 800 G4?

It runs 'fine' on my single 1.25 G4, but your definition of 'fine' may be vastly different from mine :)

1.25 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9000.

TwitchOSX
Nov 3, 2004, 09:59 PM
Well.. have you played Halo?
How about Nascar 2003?

Halo plays fine with medium quality on everything....
Nascar 2003 is almost unplayable... it just harsh....

So... uh... what vid card u got? I have a GeForce 3 64mb card.
What do you think? I guess Dual 800 obviously doesnt equal a 1.6G4.. but.. anywho.. i guess I cant compare since your clock speed is twice mine and it works fine for you. I just need to get it from somewhere.. try it and if its awesome.. I will SOOOOO buy it. I hate breaking the law.. you know.. but still, Im not about to buy something and then have it be gay on my computer and not be able to return it. Its like buying tires for your car that just dont work and not being able to return them.... weak. So.. I will keep trying.

Nermal
Nov 3, 2004, 11:51 PM
Well.. have you played Halo?
How about Nascar 2003?

Halo - Yes, I've played it. It runs quite well with everything on full, except when there's a lot of action onscreen, in which case it can slow down dramatically :(

Nascar - No, never played it.

Phat_Pat
Nov 4, 2004, 12:08 AM
amazon has changed their idea of the release date
Availability: This item will be released on February 28, 2005. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006A5IWE/aspyrmedia-20/104-6164734-5487906)

FriarCrazy
Nov 4, 2004, 12:11 AM
Ive played halo on my 1.33 powerbook (specs in sig) and it played just fine maxed out (but no AA). Suprisingly, it gave me the option to do 9x antialiasing. With that turned on, it was a slideshow, but it looked great. My 6800 GT in my PC will only do 8x AA, I found it hilarious that the 5200go went higher.

Little Endian
Nov 4, 2004, 07:04 AM
1.5Ghz G5 or faster..... How odd. I wonder why it states that, I would say that a Dual Processor 1.25-1.42Ghz G4 should handle especially if it were equiped with a Radeon 9800. I would also think that a 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook could handle especially if it were equipped with a Radeon 9700Moblity 128MB. A 1.6Ghz G5 is not that much faster than a 1.5Ghz G4 so hopefully this Game will run on more than just Powermac G5 and the new imac G5. And if these are the minimum requirements I doubt the new imac G5 would be fast enough to play at Doom3 at anything above 1024x768 at low to medium settings and even then I would imagine it would be rather poky. 1.6Ghz to 1.8Ghz G5 imac is not that much faster than the minimum processor requirements and the Geforce 5200FX Ultra is not that much faster than the Geforce 3/Radeon 8500 minimum GPU requirements and 32MB of VRAM is probably only enough to run at 640x480. I also find it strange that a G5 is reqired as miniumum but then why the hell would the list Radeon 8500 and Geforce 3 as the minimum requirements when there are no G5 based machines that use such Graphics Cards.

isgoed
Nov 4, 2004, 08:10 AM
why the hell would the list Radeon 8500 and Geforce 3 as the minimum requirements when there are no G5 based machines that use such Graphics Cards.
I also noted that. Quite strange. The logical reason is of course is that they don't want a difference in hardware requirements between PC and Mac. And maybe it is an indication that top end G4 owners can play the game also. I played DooM3 on my PC which has an underspec Athlon 1.2Ghz. DooM3 did not protest. The game ran acceptable (20fps). I don't think they have hard coded the G5 requirement. We will see.

iMeowbot
Nov 4, 2004, 08:31 AM
Only a 32mb Card? I can hardly believie it.
Believe it. We found out by accident that Doom 3 is playable on a PC with the cheesy intel shared-memory graphics deal (bought the game and an ATI card for my brother's birthday kind of blind; he insisted the machine was new and would take the card, but Compaq hadn't even soldered an AGP slot into the board. He fired it up before I could get a PCI version to him, and it worked).[/QUOTE]