PDA

View Full Version : crash report once again

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hello,
can someone give me a hint where this crash may appear?
Thanks in advance!
MACloop

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x454c4c45
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x000025fa objc_msgSend + 18
1 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
2 MapKit 0x00052b96 -[MKAnnotationView dealloc] + 102
3 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
4 MapKit 0x0005238e -[MKAnnotationView release] + 22
5 UIKit 0x00015754 -[UIView(Hierarchy) removeFromSuperview] + 392
6 UIKit 0x0003a6e4 -[UIView dealloc] + 148
7 MapKit 0x00026826 -[MKAnnotationContainerView dealloc] + 698
8 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
9 UIKit 0x00015754 -[UIView(Hierarchy) removeFromSuperview] + 392
10 UIKit 0x0003a6e4 -[UIView dealloc] + 148
11 UIKit 0x000c8c6a -[UIScrollView dealloc] + 206
12 MapKit 0x000513f2 -[MKScrollView dealloc] + 58
13 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
14 UIKit 0x00015754 -[UIView(Hierarchy) removeFromSuperview] + 392
15 UIKit 0x000c8b82 -[UIScrollView removeFromSuperview] + 42
16 UIKit 0x0003a6e4 -[UIView dealloc] + 148
17 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
18 UIKit 0x00015754 -[UIView(Hierarchy) removeFromSuperview] + 392
19 UIKit 0x0003a6e4 -[UIView dealloc] + 148
20 MapKit 0x0000c7ec -[MKMapView dealloc] + 816
21 CoreFoundation 0x00004714 -[NSObject release] + 24
22 Foundation 0x0007275a __delayedPerformCleanup + 22
23 CoreFoundation 0x00026230 CFRunLoopTimerInvalidate + 244
24 CoreFoundation 0x00022d60 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 2160
25 CoreFoundation 0x000224da CFRunLoopRunInMode + 42
26 GraphicsServices 0x000030d4 GSEventRunModal + 108
27 GraphicsServices 0x00003180 GSEventRun + 56
28 UIKit 0x000034c2 -[UIApplication _run] + 374
29 UIKit 0x000019ec UIApplicationMain + 636
30 iPadApp 0x00002d40 main (main.m:14)
31 iPadApp 0x00002cf4 start + 32

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 07:04 AM
Given that it's seems to be map view annotation releases and timer related I suspect it's the release you are doing in a performSelector:withObject:afterDelay: that I told you yesterday was a bad idea and would lead to crashes that you would not be able to debug.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 07:20 AM
Given that it's seems to be map view annotation releases and timer related I suspect it's the release you are doing in a performSelector:withObject:afterDelay: that I told you yesterday was a bad idea and would lead to crashes that you would not be able to debug.

ok 1:0 for you ;-)
Hmmm...I have to reconsider how to solve that. The delegate method did not do the job, unfortunally :-(

MACLoop

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 07:37 AM
ok 1:0 for you ;-)
Hmmm...I have to reconsider how to solve that. The delegate method did not do the job, unfortunally :-(

MACLoop

You suggested yesterday that I should control the view not to call dealloc/ViewDidUnload before the map was done loading. How can I control that?

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 07:38 AM
You suggested yesterday that I should control the view not to call dealloc/ViewDidUnload before the map was done loading. How can I control that?

No, I didn't. I suggested you should not release the delegate until the map was done with it.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 07:43 AM
No, I didn't. I suggested you should not release the delegate until the map was done with it.

ok, and how did you mean that I could do that?

EDIT:
and what very strange is - this is happening without that I dealloc or get a memory warning. I use nslog to se where in the progress I am. I am not releasing or setting the map to nil, but in those to methods

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 07:46 AM
ok, and how did you mean that I could do that?

Well my suggestion was not to release the reference to the delegate object until the map has completed loading. This may not be necessary: from what I remember of your code you release the delegate but you don't set the delegate property of the map view to nil which leaves a dangling pointer. I'd try setting the delegate property to nil before releasing the delegate object. This certainly stops UIWebViews crashing the app in identical circumstances.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 07:57 AM
Well my suggestion was not to release the reference to the delegate object until the map has completed loading. This may not be necessary: from what I remember of your code you release the delegate but you don't set the delegate property of the map view to nil which leaves a dangling pointer. I'd try setting the delegate property to nil before releasing the delegate object. This certainly stops UIWebViews crashing the app in identical circumstances.

So, to set it like this is not an option? If I have an IBOutlet, I have to retain it in the property?

.h
IBOutlet MKMapView *map; //connected to object in .xib file

.m
... in viewDidLoad
region.span=span;
region.center=austin;
map.showsUserLocation = YES;
map.userLocation.title = @"You are here!";
[map setRegion:region animated:NO];
[map regionThatFits:region];
[self doSomething];

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
I don't see what any of the above has to do with the delegate property of the MKMapView which is where I understood the problem came from.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
I don't see what any of the above has to do with the delegate property of the MKMapView which is where I understood the problem came from.

well, I removed the property....

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 08:08 AM
well, I removed the property....

You cannot remove the delegate property of MKMapView (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/MapKit/Reference/MKMapView_Class/MKMapView/MKMapView.html#//apple_ref/occ/instp/MKMapView/delegate). Which is the property I am talking about. What you have done is stop declaring the instance variable map of your class as a property. Which I did not ever suggest.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 08:13 AM
You cannot remove the delegate property of MKMapView (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/MapKit/Reference/MKMapView_Class/MKMapView/MKMapView.html#//apple_ref/occ/instp/MKMapView/delegate). Which is the property I am talking about. What you have done is stop declaring the instance variable map of your class as a property. Which I did not ever suggest.

ok, so I have to use @property(nonatomic,retain)... for the map? I did so and it lead to memorywarnings... whitout self.map for instance and all the other IBOutlets for the view my app is running without no warnings...

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 08:18 AM
I did not want you to change anything about how you keep a reference to the map. I am beginning to think you are intentionally misunderstanding what I type.

You are releasing the map property after some time to prevent what you call "the blue dot problem". I have no idea what this is. I assumed that you had set the map delegate property (the one I linked to above) to something and the map was trying to call a method on this delegate object that no longer existed when it completed loading/locating. So my suggestion was to ensure that the map delegate was set to nil before the delegate object gets released:

map.delegate = nil;

It might be more helpful if you posted the crash log from this "blue dot problem"

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 08:31 AM
I did not want you to change anything about how you keep a reference to the map. I am beginning to think you are intentionally misunderstanding what I type.

You are releasing the map property after some time to prevent what you call "the blue dot problem". I have no idea what this is. I assumed that you had set the map delegate property (the one I linked to above) to something and the map was trying to call a method on this delegate object that no longer existed when it completed loading/locating. So my suggestion was to ensure that the map delegate was set to nil before the delegate object gets released:

map.delegate = nil;

It might be more helpful if you posted the crash log from this "blue dot problem"

ok, but I dont think this is the problem because I create the map and let it live till a memorywarning is raised or the viewcontroller is dealloced. None of those is happening when the crash appears. This means, it cannot be the reason for the crash. Here is a link about the mapkit problem http://omegadelta.net/2009/11/02/mkdotbounceanimation-animationdidstop-bug/

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2010, 08:38 AM
ok, but I dont think this is the problem because I create the map and let it live till a memorywarning is raised or the viewcontroller is dealloced. None of those is happening when the crash appears. This means, it cannot be the reason for the crash. Here is a link about the mapkit problem http://omegadelta.net/2009/11/02/mkdotbounceanimation-animationdidstop-bug/

And in the comments there are multiple solutions that look safer and better than performSelector:withObject:afterDelay:. I also note that right at the top of the page it says "set the delegate to nil when the delegate deallocís, as per that advice to fix one of the crashbugs" which is what I told you to do in this thread.

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 09:08 AM
And in the comments there are multiple solutions that look safer and better than performSelector:withObject:afterDelay:. I also note that right at the top of the page it says "set the delegate to nil when the delegate deallocís, as per that advice to fix one of the crashbugs" which is what I told you to do in this thread.
I got this msg when running the app...seem to be some problem with my Annotations class...
An instance 0x6cb6cc0 of class Annotations is being deallocated while key value observers are still registered with it. Observation info is being leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:
<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x76d3500> (
<NSKeyValueObservance 0x7645110: Observer: 0x6c2b6f0, Key path: coordinate, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x6c7a680>
)

MACloop
Jul 6, 2010, 12:44 PM
I got this msg when running the app...seem to be some problem with my Annotations class...
An instance 0x6cb6cc0 of class Annotations is being deallocated while key value observers are still registered with it. Observation info is being leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:
<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x76d3500> (
<NSKeyValueObservance 0x7645110: Observer: 0x6c2b6f0, Key path: coordinate, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x6c7a680>
)

So I have made some updates now. What do you think about this:

.h file

IBOutlet MKMapView *map;
Annotations *annotation;
}
@property(nonatomic,retain)IBOutlet MKMapView *map;
@property(nonatomic,retain)Annotations *annotation;
- (IBAction) dismissView:(id)sender;
- (id)initWithAnnotation:(Annotations*)anno;

.m-file

- (id)initWithAnnotation:(Annotations*)anno {
if ((self = [super init])) {
self.annotation = anno;
}
return self;
}

- (void)viewDidLoad {
[super viewDidLoad];
if(annotation != nil){

[self.map setRegion:region animated:TRUE];
[self.map regionThatFits:region];
[self.map setHidden:NO];
[self.map addAnnotation:annotation];
//some label are set from annotation title and subtitle
}
[self.annotation release];
}

- (void)mapView:(MKMapView *)mapView didAddAnnotationViews:(NSArray *)views {
if([[UIApplication sharedApplication] isIgnoringInteractionEvents] == TRUE){
[[UIApplication sharedApplication] endIgnoringInteractionEvents];
}
[self.map release];
}

MACloop
Jul 7, 2010, 02:35 AM
I have read some more and in almost every post I have seen about memory warnings and viewcontrollers, the answer was that it is ok to set variables free in the viewDidUnload method, because the dealloc is not going to be called in this case... Of course it would be dfifferent with a navigation controller for instance. So I have tried this aus and I have provoked some memory warnings and it seem to work out fine. I would very much appreciate you comment on this, because it has always been very helpful!
I have done this:
.h

NSMutableArray *objects;
NSMutableArray *otherObjects;
@property(nonatomic,assign) NSMutableArray *objects;
@property(nonatomic,assign) NSMutableArray *otherObjects;

.m

- (void)viewDidLoad {
[super viewDidLoad];
self.objects = [[NSMutableArray alloc]init];
self.otherObjects = [[NSMutableArray alloc]init];
//other stuff....