PDA

View Full Version : WoW Beta client of FilePlanet won't unzip

Hackett
Nov 3, 2004, 06:37 PM
Hey!

Subscribed to FilePlanet.com to download the WoW Open Beta and have received an error when I try to unzip the downloaded file....error: -40 or something.

I have downloaded it twice by now from different servers but I keep getting the message of Stuffit that the file may be corrupt or something....what am I doing wrong? The size of the file is about 2.01 GB but it won't unzip it...FP says I should use WinZip 9.0...but there is no WinZip for Mac.

I meet all the system requirements for WoW...the download takes about 3hours and i usually put the system on sleep mode...could that be the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

dubbz
Nov 3, 2004, 06:53 PM
You mean you put it in sleep mode after you've started downloading the beta? Try not doing that :)

If you're just downloading it using Safari, try using some download helper/app. Using the browser to download very big files isn't always optimal in my experience.

Search Versiontracker for "Speed Download" (shareware, integrates nicely with Safari) or "SimpleWget" (free, but slightly harder to use). They're two apps that may prove more reliable.

rbarris
Nov 3, 2004, 07:48 PM
Hey!

Subscribed to FilePlanet.com to download the WoW Open Beta and have received an error when I try to unzip the downloaded file....error: -40 or something.

I have downloaded it twice by now from different servers but I keep getting the message of Stuffit that the file may be corrupt or something....what am I doing wrong? The size of the file is about 2.01 GB but it won't unzip it...FP says I should use WinZip 9.0...but there is no WinZip for Mac.

I meet all the system requirements for WoW...the download takes about 3hours and i usually put the system on sleep mode...could that be the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Make sure you download with Safari and that you get all 2.5GB (not 2.0 or 2.1).

I have successfully un-zipped the FilePlanet zip file with both the built-in Panther ZIP file expansion (just double click it) and with StuffIt Expander.

invaLPsion
Nov 3, 2004, 08:20 PM
If you use a download accelerater Blizzard will give you a fault download. Most sites don't like having people use download acceleratera as they waste bandwidth.

Hackett
Nov 3, 2004, 08:44 PM
Hi!

Cool I solved the problem! Thanks for the great help.

All I did was wrong ;-)

1. I did use a download manager (2 in fact iGetter+SpeedDownload <- nasty piece of software - just deleted it)...because Safari didn't work on my Mac and IE + Firebird both stopped half way through the downloads.

2. Safari didn't work on my Mac for the last 12 months...and NOW even Safari works. I had some stupid app extension called Saft installed...wasn't compatible with Safari anymore.

3. IE never displays the complete Filesize...Firebird + download mangers always showed a size of 2.01 GB.

Started Safari after installation + restart...logged into FilePlanet and the Safari Download Manager shows the complete file of 2.5 GB :-))

8 Hours left to download though....well i need to activate sleep mode. Can't sit here for hours + hours... ;-)

Thanks all!

iZzle
Nov 4, 2004, 09:59 PM
kparvez, have you had good performance on your 1GHz PB?