Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theyear1960

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Past Experiences I purchased one of these cool-looking and well-spoken-of drives (1TB) last year, when they still carried the Q (symbolizing the four connection options) designation; in combination with Time Machine, I found it a bit of a broken reed to lean upon. After constant problems with reading and writing errors (and loss of 8GB of music) I placed it back in its box and left it there until a few weeks ago, when I dusted it off and contacted G-Tech. Eventually I did get a response and they sent me a new one, which is OK so far... early days yet.
Connection/Ejection? The G-Tech manual specifies that the drive be connected, powered on, then the Mac powered on. Note that the Mac must be off. For safe ejection, one drags it to the trash in the usual fashion. Now, my G-Drive is currently used on a MacBook that goes to sleep regularly. Does anyone know if this will affect the drive and if it is essential to reconnect it to a machine that is not powered on? I wrote G-Tech about it, but they're not very responsive, in fact, I didn't get any response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.