PDA

View Full Version : Sept. iPod Share Slips 5% on Strong Flash Sales; HP Second

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2004, 07:10 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Sept. iPod Share Slips 5% on Strong Flash Sales; HP Second (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041103201020)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iMeowbot
Nov 3, 2004, 07:23 PM
Okay, it's really a 1.1% drop from 92.0 to 90.9 when hPod sales are included. That's still pretty darned impressive when more (and better than before) competitors have been coming into the pipeline.

the_mole1314
Nov 3, 2004, 07:23 PM
Shows that Apple needs to release a cheap flash player to maintain an advantage. Anyway, the problem is that the article acts like the HP iPod is just another player and Apple gets no profits from it at all.

shadowfax
Nov 3, 2004, 07:50 PM
shoot, the iPod is taking market share from the iPod? what the hell?

Wonder Boy
Nov 3, 2004, 07:53 PM
according to the article, hp will over come apple in marketshare (or something like that). there is no way apple would willing or unwilling for that matter just give the ipod away. which brings me to the conclusion that this article is fubar.

im on oxycontin, did that make any sense?

jsw
Nov 3, 2004, 07:53 PM
Sept. iPod Share Slips 5% on Strong Flash Sales
Apple's U.S. market share of hard drive-based portable media players fell 5% in September to 87.3% as more consumers bought flash-based players and Hewlett-Packard with its branded iPod took share from Apple, according to numbers from the NPD Group research firm.

OK, I can see how strong sales of flash-based players would reduce iPod sales, but they have nothing to do with market share of "hard drive-based portable media players". That's like saying Honda's market share of compact cars was reduced because more people were riding the subway.

Also, I'd say a ~90% market is, um, reasonably healthy.

Stella
Nov 3, 2004, 07:56 PM
HP figures are impressive, OK so its only 3.6%.. but in a few months they have bypassed Rio and Creative et al who have been in the game a lot longer.

iPod rocks.

IF apple claim to like open standards they should open up fairplay.. they could easily undo WMA market share with the strength of iPod. Apple are in a prime position for this.. unfortunately they will miss the opportunity.

jsw
Nov 3, 2004, 07:57 PM
according to the article, hp will over come apple in marketshare (or something like that). It just said that HP would gain market share.

Of course, since hPods are iPods, it makes little difference to Apple - less profit, yes, but still profit, and, besides, I don't see a threat of HP overcoming Apple's share. Also, for all we know, people bought hPods who wouldn't have bought iPods (i.e., as a package deal with HP, etc.), and so Apple sold more 'pods total than they would have otherwise - so the HP market share represents no loss to Apple whatsoever (smaller profit but more sales could even each other out). In other words: the sales figures might have been even lower were it not for HP.

mvc
Nov 3, 2004, 08:00 PM
No shortage of morons working in market analysis is there?

The only reason they are not combining the HP and Apple iPod figures, (even though HP is effectively just a reseller with a good price break) is that it makes it look like there is some movement in the market, which means there is a reason to pay attention to their statistics (i.e pay them money).

Self serving crap really - lets analyse PC sales the same way, all those different brands of PC surely have to be treated separately, so Apple's contribution suddenly looks really dominant! They are in the top 3-5 manufacturers of PC's AFAIK, just behind Dell!

Why do we never see that statistic? - because its the same false analysis.

JeffTL
Nov 3, 2004, 08:34 PM
This doesn't really mean declined iPod sales -- but rather increased sale of cheapo MP3 (and maybe WMA) players that go for less than $50 -- a market in which Apple cannot compete without serious cannibalism and brand dilution.

Earendil
Nov 3, 2004, 09:11 PM
I found this line, to be found at the very end, interesting-

NPD does not break down player market share by model, so it not known how many consumers bought an iPod versus an iPod mini. Figures are based on retail sales and do not include sales from Apple online store operation. Also, because Dell does not sell its portable media players through retail stores but only online, Dell's products are not included in the market share results.

Has Apple ever given figures on what percentage of it's players are being sold through the Apple store? I would guess it's a fair amount...

Tyler

dashiel
Nov 3, 2004, 09:47 PM
Shows that Apple needs to release a cheap flash player to maintain an advantage. Anyway, the problem is that the article acts like the HP iPod is just another player and Apple gets no profits from it at all.

i don't think we'll see a flash based ipod until after xmas. i suspect the margins on ipod and ipod mini will be greater than ipod micro, and apple will want to capitalize on their brand awareness. i'm getting the sense that ipods are reaching saturation point in terms of awareness and are about to go from "cool" underground thing, to everyone has em (and the backlash will begin). good for apple. bad for us elitists :)

nagromme
Nov 3, 2004, 10:18 PM
I found this line, to be found at the very end, interesting-

NPD does not break down player market share by model, so it not known how many consumers bought an iPod versus an iPod mini. Figures are based on retail sales and do not include sales from Apple online store operation.

I don't know if Apple breaks down those figures themselves, but I know they sell a LOT of iPods that way. It's easy (right from the source), costs about the same anywhere, and there's the free shipping. Plus that's where early adopters buy to get theirs quickly. Most importantly, it's the only way to get your iPod engraved!

macridah
Nov 3, 2004, 10:22 PM
iPod and hPod should be counted as the same when it comes to market share. I wonder if the iPod Photo will bring those numbers back up ... to even a higher market share :)