PDA

View Full Version : Will my external DVD burner work with USB 1.0?

ghostboy
Nov 4, 2004, 12:15 AM
I apologize in advance for what may be an enormously stupid and ignorant question. :o :o :o

I got me a NEC ND-3500 in an external enclosure off of eBay. It came with a USB 2.0 connection cable. Now the hardware I have here is an old 700Mhz combo drive eMac with only USB 1.0 and Firewire 400 (planning to buy a new iBook which the drive is meant for).

I hooked it up to my eMac cos the USB cable is the same as a USB 1.0 and I thought maybe it might work, just work slower because it's only a USB 1.0 port. So should it work? :confused: The eMac can detect the burner but says disc burning is not supported and when I inserted a blank DVD-R it can read it but wont burn it (Disc drive is not supported error code 0x80020025). My logic dictates that this is because the eMac is NOT USB 2.0 compatible... Could somebody just validate this for me please?

Eternally grateful :)

SpaceMagic
Nov 4, 2004, 01:44 AM
I'm thinking more.. it's not supported by apple software. Try Toast. Otherwise, yes it'll be the USB 1.0 in that it'd take ridiculous amount of time to transfer over 4.7gb to burn.

ghostboy
Nov 4, 2004, 01:49 AM
I have Toast Titanium 5.2 but the "Burn to DVD" option is grayed out.

SpaceMagic
Nov 4, 2004, 03:28 AM
Ah right. Then yeh. Probably because of the USB 1 sorry..

years back when i wanted a dvd drive for my ibook clamshell i looked at getting a usb one. however there weren't any. then usb 2 came out and they were usb2.. so i'm guessing dvd players/burners were never meant to run on usb1

Solafaa
Nov 4, 2004, 09:37 AM
What modle do you have?

I dont think you can buy usb 1.0 dvd rom, just wait till you get the ibook.

tutubibi
Nov 4, 2004, 09:56 AM
USB 1 is too slow for external DVD burning. That's why external CD-RW drives ware limited to 4x CD burning when connected via USB 1.
If you need to burn from your old machine, then better get external firewire enclosure.

cluthz
Nov 4, 2004, 10:29 AM
Also get patchburn II to enable finder/idvd/itunes/iphoto burning on your external drive.

ghostboy
Nov 4, 2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help :) I got it working last night with Toast 6 and it took something like 3 hours to burn a 95 minute DVD :eek: Very painful..

Will be getting that iBook real soon.

toughboy
Nov 4, 2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the help :) I got it working last night with Toast 6 and it took something like 3 hours to burn a 95 minute DVD :eek: Very painful..

Will be getting that iBook real soon.

3hrs for 3/4 of a DVD reminds me something more than USB1.0.. man you are using an old eMac.. that g4 processor should not have more than 128-256kb cache.. plus its not even 1 GHz.. I'd go for iMac G5 instead of iBook, if you want more computing power..

Mechcozmo
Nov 4, 2004, 08:46 PM
FYI, it is USB 1.1 and not 1.0.

USB 1.0 was I think 5 Mbps. Not widely used.
USB 1.1 was 11 Mbps. First wide implementation of the USB standard.
USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps. Second wide use of USB, offering high speed transfer.

Mbps= Megabits per second. Not MegaBytes (MB).