Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
i have been looking for apple's ipad case and cant find one. the online store is 3-4 weeks before shipping. bestbuy is out and when i called bestbuy they said it was discontinued? the apple store near me is also out. anyone know whats up?

how does the incase book jacket compare to the apple case?

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I've got a friend that works for Apple and was just telling me today that Apple is selling way more of these cases than they originally expected to. Assuming my friend was correct, my guess is that their production isn't quite up to the correct rate as of yet. I am doubtful they are discontinued as they are apparently more popular than planned for.

misterc0w

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I just got my apple case in today. Here are my initial thoughts.

The incase case feels really nice and sturdy with the leather, there is also an elastic strap to keep everything closed. Though it makes it bulkier. The main problem I have had with this case is that no matter how much I have tried to stretch it out, the connection ports don't line up with their corresponding places in the leather. I can push it into place, and then it slowly slides back out. The case also sits up nicely but not as high as the apple case.

The apple case is nice, but almost feels cheap in comparison. The sides are pressed together and fused from what I can tell. The main thing that I like about the apple case is just how thin it is. It looks much smaller in my bag, but still feels nice in your hands. The case stands up nicely when you fold it back on itself, but still folds flat for reading. it would be nice if there was some sort of elastic strip like the incase model.

Overall, I'm still out on which one I like better, I still have a little time to decide as I should be able to take it back to Apple within 14 days.

I'm still out on which one I'll keep.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Hi! Did you call a few Apple stores? Mine (MN) just happened to have a bunch in a few days ago. I have one (waiting to see if Vaja really makes me a case as I can't get reply from them) and it does have a couple advantages. Nice grip if you are trying to hold it while standing up, very thin, and the cover folds underneath very nicely when you wish.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Don't know where you are, but I just bought one from the Burlingtom Mall, Burlington, MA. They had several in stock. My local store in Louisiana was out of them when I initially bought the iPad.

misterc0w

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago from apple.com, and have been waiting patiently. To their credit, apple did ship it before the date they had originally expected, and it was delivered faster than fedex said it would as well. Both were nice surprises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.