PDA

View Full Version : The Pirates' Truth Behind The Mac OS X Transition - An Unto...

MacBytes
Nov 4, 2004, 09:16 AM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: The Pirates\' Truth Behind The Mac OS X Transition - An Untold Tale (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041104101627)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

[mod note] discussion of warez and how to obtain them is not allowed on our site - anyone linking to illegal means of obtaining software will be met with an instant and permanent ban from our forums. That being said, there is a lot of discussion that can take place about this that doesn't have to lead to illegalities. Please - just watch yourselves, and if something is out of line, report it.

thanks - Mudbug [/mod note]

iMeowbot
Nov 4, 2004, 09:34 AM
I know that there are some very public and relatively simple ways to obtain this stuff, so what's the deal with all the cloak and dagger business? Is this all more of a game-like thing, kind of like a MUSH, than a serious attempt to distribute software?

Einherjar
Nov 4, 2004, 10:42 AM
Don't submit this crap, guys.

Horribly written article from some people that definitely weren't in the scene back in the day.

I want my 5 minutes back.

Earendil
Nov 4, 2004, 12:10 PM
Actually, as someone who WAS in the scene, though not behind the curtain, that article sums it up very well, though perhaps in simple words. Hotline servers, if not used for FanClub type sites, are still today locked doors where you have to jump hoops to gain access.

~Tyler

Santaduck
Nov 4, 2004, 03:08 PM
(mudbug: I think I haven't mentioned anything unmentionable, but if I did, just delete it)

I was curious:
1) how did apple x-net decide that their 'inside contact' was for real? Possibly the author knew someone in the inside by being in the inside themselves.

2) was the contact's claim that they were, among other things, adobe & yahoo employees just rhetoric (as in "we are not teenagers"), or literal?

a) It's plausible: on a smaller scale I've seen it was very common for Mac/PC service techs to have access to illegitimate resources, for example to help them with repairing software setups of legitimate customers who had simply lost or didn't bring along their original CDs & manuals (with SN#s printed on them). It certainly makes sense that yahoo/adobe employees would dip into that pond on an individual basis, but it seems rather risky if they are current employees, rather than ex-employees.

3) I have read news articles that according to ISPs tracking P2P traffic within their systems, indicate that Bittorrent was rapidly becoming the biggest protocol for what is likely to be piracy. Is there any reason to believe Mac pirating follows a different trend from windows in this regard?... because the article certainly de-emphasized the significance of P2P.

a) For example, P2P "success" depends on a large base of user peers, which is easy with a large community (windows), and more difficult in a comparatively tiny community (mac). Perhaps he was claiming that p2p is not yet important on mac for that reason.

b) The article seems to hint that seems that piracy is more common on the windows side; this certainly seems to be true when comparing the mac & pc acquaintances that I know. Is it because it is easier for casual users to discover how to do it, AND to actually get what they want?

Finally:

4) The most interesting point to me was when the author claimed:

The transition from os 9 to os X was very expensive, and that fact helped drive mac software piracy to a higher level.

Einherjar
Nov 4, 2004, 08:39 PM
Actually, as someone who WAS in the scene, though not behind the curtain, that article sums it up very well, though perhaps in simple words. Hotline servers, if not used for FanClub type sites, are still today locked doors where you have to jump hoops to gain access.

~Tyler

It was that way from late '99 on, when it was ported to Windows.

Hotline isn't worth it anymore (wasn't worth it past '01) with BT and KDX. Adam Hinkley was **** on and from then on, it just wasn't the same. HLC has been crashy bloatware for years.

It was a poorly written article with little detail.

The guy just went to Freaky's site and talked to 'a bud that was in the scene' and decided to write a basic article that ends up being little but filler.

Abstract
Nov 4, 2004, 10:12 PM
How is it filler for someone who didn't know this existed?

I learned something.

Einherjar
Nov 4, 2004, 10:28 PM
How is it filler for someone who didn't know this existed?

I learned something.

Damn you and your Puss n Boots icon with that post... :-D

I feel all guilty now--but I still hold firm that the article is crap--I feel like writing one to put in more of a substanced look.

Santaduck
Nov 5, 2004, 01:24 PM
ah ok, someone submitted a new bittorrent traffic article to macbytes:
http://in.tech.yahoo.com/041103/137/2ho4i.html

presumably most of this traffic is illicit.