PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch 2nd Gen Skype Questions

tenshinoneko
Jul 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hello ^^
Today I went with my bf to buy a new Mac Book Pro and we got the free Ipod touch (after rebate) since I go to school.

I would like to use the ipod touch with skype 24/7 as a main phone, but i don't know if they fixed the wifi disconnecting after 20 minutes or so, cuz i dont want to open it and find out they didn't and apple charging me 15% to return it T_T

Thank you in advance for the help ^^

tadad1
Jul 7, 2010, 12:21 AM
Don't know about the 20 minute thing but Skype disconnects the instant your touch goes into sleep mode.

David-fr
Jul 7, 2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah i have been using Skype for the last week HEAVILY and if it goes to sleep mode is dead (skype) what i do is cover the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4 so it saves battery with the display off. But the 20 mins thing i have not expirience.

tenshinoneko
Jul 7, 2010, 02:32 AM
awww T_T but the ipod touch doesnt have proximity sensor T_T and dunno that if i leave the skype screen if the pixels will burn in T_T

Skyhigh223
Jul 7, 2010, 02:44 AM
Low chance of the battery lasting long enough for it to burn in. :P

If you'd got a 3rd Gen iPod touch then you could multitask Skype in the background, so you could be doing other things with you still logged into Skype and recieving calls, and Im sure that if you shut the screen off while Skype was backgrounded, it wouldn't log you out. Also in iOS 4, WiFi is 'persistant' so it doesn't turn off after 20 minutes or so - it stays on forever.

tenshinoneko
Jul 7, 2010, 02:52 AM
just updated to iOS and it lied T_T i locked it and it automatically shut down wifi T_T

tadad1
Jul 7, 2010, 03:54 AM
If you'd got a 3rd Gen iPod touch then you could multitask Skype in the background, so you could be doing other things with you still logged into Skype and recieving calls, and Im sure that if you shut the screen off while Skype was backgrounded, it wouldn't log you out.Also in iOS 4, WiFi is 'persistant' so it doesn't turn off after 20 minutes or so - it stays on forever.

Skype does not support multitasking yet and wifi still shuts down for me in iOS 4.0 during sleep mode.

Skyhigh223
Jul 7, 2010, 06:20 AM
Skype does not support multitasking yet and wifi still shuts down for me in iOS 4.0 during sleep mode.

It doesn't support multitasking yet? WTF? They had it running perfectly in the background in an Apple keynote speech on the new iOS, and that was months ago... Weird.

FallenAnjel
Jul 13, 2010, 11:33 PM

Ditto that. I use skype, and i have a 3rd gen w/ OS4. I tried "multitasking" but as soon as i shut down ANY app that is running the app is shut down. I have not found an app yet that runs in the background.

Saberon
Jul 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Navigon, Whitenoise, Pandora, TuneinRadio all do

FallenAnjel
Jul 14, 2010, 11:33 AM
Navigon, Whitenoise, Pandora, TuneinRadio all do

Cool, thx!