Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ichaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Can you help?

I'm converting Bluray to Apple TV. 95% of the time MakeMKV works fine in Handbrake. Sometimes I need to pass it via TSMuxer to get a .m2ts file, which in turn works in handbrake.

However I've come across a BD rip (BBC HD Life Series) that just wont play ball. I've tried as a .ts file and even demuxed in TSMuxer further to .vc1 and .dts files. With still no luck.

Am i missing a step?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I've found an easy way to convert .MKV files: use QuickTime. If you use QuickTime's pass-through settings when converting to a .mp4 file, it will use the same video portion of a .MKV file and only re-encode the audio. If you don't need a .mp4, maybe you could try doing this quickly with QuickTime then converting the .mp4 to whatever file format you need. I couldn't find any video converters that would actually convert .MKV files decently without a very noticeably hit on quality. QuickTime was the best option by far from what I found for the Mac.

ichaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
You know what - Quicktime did it!

MKV files straight into Quicktime and hit export with a custom mp4 1280x720 setting. I just changed the .mp4 to .m4v and it's ready for iTunes. Perfect.

Although it seems the backbone of this was Flip4Mac and I consequently purchased Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro at $28 for the pleasure of a non-watermarked export.

So, that's another piece of video software I didn't think I needed. :)

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If I were a betting man, I'd say that the problem was likely with the ffmpeg libraries HandBrake uses to read the file. ffmpeg has a known issue with interlaced VC-1 sources that I've run into with a Nine Inch Nails concert Bluray. There's been talk about fixing it for awhile now, but as far as I can tell no progress has been made.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
What NightStorm said. The BBC use interlaced VC-1 encodes on their Blu-Ray releases, or at least the ones I have - notably Dr. Who.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
There are two different Life blu-rays, the one narrated by David Attenborough is VC-1 1080p and the one with Oprah Winfrey is VC-1 1080i

As for the Dr Who blu-rays some are 1080p and some are 1080i, would it kill them to be consistent with there encoding:rolleyes:

kosovosteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Salisbury, UK
You know what - Quicktime did it!

MKV files straight into Quicktime and hit export with a custom mp4 1280x720 setting. I just changed the .mp4 to .m4v and it's ready for iTunes. Perfect.

Although it seems the backbone of this was Flip4Mac and I consequently purchased Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro at $28 for the pleasure of a non-watermarked export.

So, that's another piece of video software I didn't think I needed. :)

Just a quick question. Are you using QT Pro with the Flip4mac plugin? I have a few movies in VC-1 1080i/25 that I just can't convert to mp4. This seems like the perfect solution but I just want to confirm.

ichaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Yes, I'm using Quicktime 7 Pro (found in apps/utilities) and Flip Pro Plugin.

Money well spent and the export has so far been perfect. (if a little slow as QT7 is only 32bit, not native 64bit like Handbrake)

kosovosteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Yes, I'm using Quicktime 7 Pro (found in apps/utilities) and Flip Pro Plugin.

Money well spent and the export has so far been perfect. (if a little slow as QT7 is only 32bit, not native 64bit like Handbrake)

Thanks for the info mate. I've been looking for ages for a way to do VC-1 1080i!

ichaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Really fantastic! The quality is just as good if not better than Handbrake.

I export from QT7 at 1280x720 at 25fps 2300kbs, H264 Audio 128mp4 so that if there's any spikes in the data rate the Apple TV will handle smoothly. 1hour of video is roughly 900mb.

The quality is perfect. My example encode was the BBC Life series which heavily uses slow frame rates on the video (to capture animals etc) , the playback is smooth as you like.

I'm happy.

kosovosteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Really fantastic! The quality is just as good if not better than Handbrake.

I export from QT7 at 1280x720 at 25fps 2300kbs, H264 Audio 128mp4 so that if there's any spikes in the data rate the Apple TV will handle smoothly. 1hour of video is roughly 900mb.

The quality is perfect. My example encode was the BBC Life series which heavily uses slow frame rates on the video (to capture animals etc) , the playback is smooth as you like.

I'm happy.

Great news. Thanks again for the invaluable info. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.