Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I spoke with Arlo Rose (via iChat) about a month ago or so, and he was hinting then the windows version would be completed soon. I use konfabulator to keep track of various things on my machine, and happy to have contributed to it's development early on.

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
konfabulator

I really wanted to like konfabulator.

but it is S L O W.

Dashboard is 10000000x better, because it doesn't eat up my system resources.

Apple came out with a better product, and I am tired of Arlo whining.

my .02

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Peecers don't appreciate the art of work that Konfabulator may be, if they find customers for it, are surely mac users who have to use PCs at work and some friends... but popular for the mac crowd like it is... won't it be (Yoda)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Well, maybe Bill will buy him out, rename Konfabulator Longhorn and get something out the door at last :)

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
mvc said:
Well, maybe Bill will buy him out, rename Konfabulator Longhorn and get something out the door at last :)

Right away, I thought of that one Simpsons episode where Bill Gates says "Buy him out boys" to Homer when he was running a business called "HyperGlobalMegasomethingrather..'.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
reckless_0001 said:
Right away, I thought of that one Simpsons episode where Bill Gates says "Buy him out boys" to Homer when he was running a business called "HyperGlobalMegasomethingrather..'.

Ehh... simpsons...

NOW FAMILY GUY!

*flying in jet packs over land*
Michael Eisner: "They look like ants down there."
Bill Gates:"They are ants Michael! They are ants...."

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
reckless_0001 said:
HyperGlobalCompuMegaNet

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
ZildjianKX said:
Apple really screwed him on this... no question about it... :(

I totally agree. It's great they're using the idea but they did this with the command+tab thing to some other guy in 10.3(?) - they could have at least given him some money or a job or something...? If it's a better product that's because they're better programmers but they can't just go round ripping people off like that - i doubt he had any kind of patent on it, but it's really bad practice...

Hob

backupdrummer

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Chi town
hob said:
I totally agree. It's great they're using the idea but they did this with the command+tab thing to some other guy in 10.3(?) - they could have at least given him some money or a job or something...? If it's a better product that's because they're better programmers but they can't just go round ripping people off like that - i doubt he had any kind of patent on it, but it's really bad practice...

Hob

You have to be joking about the Command tab thing. Alt-Tab has been on windows for ages and I'm sure someone will point out that it was somewhere else before that even.

As for being screwed. There are all sorts of applications in the world that do the same or similar things but are executed in different ways (ie Layout programs, calculators, photo touch up, word processors, web browsers, the list goes on and on) this is another scenerio. The way these applications improve is through competition. Konfab was not the first to buld an application that runs small apps. I know there was a windows thing (http://www.desktopx.net) that was available well before konfab. Also web pages have been imbedding little apps that use the same javascript language to make "widgets" for a long time.

What the hell is the difference between the Konfab calculator, the Dashboard calcultor, the OS X calculator, and the calculator on http://www.calculator.com/? The way they are executed. Some use javascript some use other languages. They are all little apps. Call them widgets. Call them apps. Call them bananas. They are all the little apps. So the only difference is how they are executed and Dashboard and Konfab are executed in totally different ways.

Just like Apple (or any company for that matter). Konfabulator needs to differentiate itself from the competition to stay relevant. By taking Konfabulator to windows they are. Good move Arlo.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
backupdrummer said:
You have to be joking about the Command tab thing. Alt-Tab has been on windows for ages and I'm sure someone will point out that it was somewhere else before that even.

Nope, I'm not joking - I've been using alt+tab for years, but the way Apple executed it in 10.3 vs 10.0-10.2 was identical to another application - i forget the name.

backupdrummer said:
Just like Apple (or any company for that matter). Konfabulator needs to differentiate itself from the competition to stay relevant. By taking Konfabulator to windows they are. Good move Arlo.

I agree with you there - Konfab's gotta jump off OS X now cos it'll be irrelevant in 6 months.

Hob

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I love Konfabulator. One of the few small apps I didnt mind paying for.

Too bad Apple didn't include Rose, and just integrate Konfabulator into Tiger. But, business is indeed "dog eat dog".

At least I can carry the legend on with my PC ;)

hey...I wonder if our registration for the mac version will be the same, or if windows users will have to purchase it all over again?

EDIT

I've just downloaded it and installed it on my PC. It's EXACTLY the same as the Mac version. I love it. This was a very smart move, and I couldn't be happier about it. :)

JulesTM

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
dragula53 said:
I really wanted to like konfabulator.

but it is S L O W.

Dashboard is 10000000x better, because it doesn't eat up my system resources.

Apple came out with a better product, and I am tired of Arlo whining.

my .02

Yeah, also desk space to me is valuable, so making the widgets disappear and appear is a great idea. Many of the Konfabulator widgets do not need to be open all the time, for example the weather or a calculator.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
reckless_0001 said:

haha! that was one good episode of simpsons! how could I forget!? :D

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
hob said:
I totally agree. It's great they're using the idea but they did this with the command+tab thing to some other guy in 10.3(?) - they could have at least given him some money or a job or something...?

Yeah, man, it's terrible that Apple is using ideas that they've had since System 1.0 in 1984 and implementing them in a way that's consistent with thier current look and feel. Shame on them for using the OS X design and polish on it, too, when Arlo worked for them and learned his UI from being an Apple designer! Oh, wait, that's right...

Daring Fireball already disected this in detail and basically shows hor stupid this line of argument is, but the simple fact is that Arlo was stealing ideas and basically set himself up for failure from the get-go. Apple has long had small applications with limited functionality in their system releases, and this is just an expansion of their implementation to make it even easier for people to write applications or applets for the mac. Attacking them for it means you need to go after Automator and any AppleScript, too, since they're just rehashing of things that other people have done.

:rolleyes:

If it's a better product that's because they're better programmers but they can't just go round ripping people off like that - i doubt he had any kind of patent on it, but it's really bad practice...

Arlo was an Apple programmer, took what he learned, and made a product in the third party space that was, from what some people say, already in development. Also, if you know anything about what Dashboard is an how it works, it's vastly superior to Konfabulator.

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
I put Konfabulator on my Mom's Dull - er, Dell - yesterday. Looks the same, acts the same.

It sucks 'cause now the coolest app on my PB won't let me say "sorry, Mac only!"

Apple should have paid the developers. I'm disappointed.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
thatwendigo said:
Daring Fireball already disected this in detail and basically shows hor stupid this line of argument is, but the simple fact is that Arlo was stealing ideas and basically set himself up for failure from the get-go. Apple has long had small applications with limited functionality in their system releases, and this is just an expansion of their implementation to make it even easier for people to write applications or applets for the mac. Attacking them for it means you need to go after Automator and any AppleScript, too, since they're just rehashing of things that other people have done.

:rolleyes:

Arlo was an Apple programmer, took what he learned, and made a product in the third party space that was, from what some people say, already in development. Also, if you know anything about what Dashboard is an how it works, it's vastly superior to Konfabulator.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
I'm glad you brought that up. Now maybe this subject will be put to rest for the fourth time. Dashboard is a 100 times better compared to Konfabulator.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Josh said:
hey...I wonder if our registration for the mac version will be the same, or if windows users will have to purchase it all over again?

Just found out: windows user need to purchase a SEPERATE registration code.

I tried registerring Konfabulator on my PC today (Ive registered it on my Mac) and when using the same code, I get the error:

"Sorry, that code is a Macintosh code and is not valid. You must purchase a windows registration code."

Kinda ticks me off. We shouldnt have to pay twice for the same thing. Hopefully they fix that and decide not to double-charge existing users....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.