PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft says MSN music sales to "overtake iTunes very soo...

MacBytes
Nov 4, 2004, 02:11 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft says MSN music sales to \"overtake iTunes very soon\" despite higher prices (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041104151114)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Bear
Nov 4, 2004, 02:19 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft says MSN music sales to \"overtake iTunes very soon\" despite higher prices (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041104151114)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by MudbugSo is this just wishful thinking? Or do they hope by saying it that it will happen because people believe it will happen?

Talk about FUD.

zelmo
Nov 4, 2004, 02:25 PM
So is this just wishful thinking? Or do they hope by saying it that it will happen because people believe it will happen?

Talk about FUD.

You know what's sad? There are a lot of people [lemmings] who will read that and think that it makes sense. "Bigger installed base, 95% market share, their store must be better, right?" And their prices are up to 30% higher?? Where are they getting their crack?

mvc
Nov 4, 2004, 02:29 PM
That press release has got so much spin it's generating its own gravity :rolleyes:

the_mole1314
Nov 4, 2004, 02:31 PM
Wants to take over Apple by going to more markets.
Has fluxuations in prices.
Smack talkes Apple.

Sounds like another music store, buymusic.com.

asif786
Nov 4, 2004, 02:44 PM
lol, are these people on ****ing crack?

oh dear, this is so terrible. I hope micro$oft gets caught doing corporate fraud or something and collapses just like enron :D - that would be so cool (oh, expect for the people in MBU losing their jobs, that would be that bad side, they're good people..:) )

jholzner
Nov 4, 2004, 02:46 PM
Well, at least MS put it in some of the native languages. All of Apple's new stores in Europe are in English...except Austria.

munkle
Nov 4, 2004, 02:49 PM
'Very soon' like Longhorn is getting released 'very soon'! ;) :p

MacDawg
Nov 4, 2004, 02:49 PM
They give no data or statistics to back up this assertion other than "larger installed base". But if that installed base doesn't download music, then it won't help.

Anybody know the actual comparison figures right now?

macridah
Nov 4, 2004, 02:54 PM
Mr. Arndt Salzburg will be looking for a job "very soon" when he made a prediction he won't be able to deliver. iPod killer this, over take iTunes that ... all failed embarassing projects.

Lancetx
Nov 4, 2004, 02:59 PM
Microsoft says MSN music sales to "overtake iTunes very soon"

Good luck with all of that and thanks for the laugh. :p

AmigoMac
Nov 4, 2004, 03:15 PM
That made my week! :D :D :p :p ....

is B. Gates going to buy his own music? :rolleyes:

MS Music store to be integrated *soon* with Longc**k, 2010, the year of the music? ...

MS: Stop smoking that crap!

neonart
Nov 4, 2004, 03:29 PM
Their 95% market share and larger installed base includes a huge amount of the losers too cheap to buy a real computer. The same losers who can't bear paying 99Ę for a song.

This also includes ALOT of super low end consumers that buy their computers at Wal-Mart and can barely use them. Those people are also not the type that will be big online music consumers.

Most intelligent people (Mac or Windows users) realize that Apple has a proven, easy to use, solid music store. Those people will continue to use what works right. In general, people are scared of Microsoft and use their operating system based on necessity and not preference or choice.

Will this new music store have viruses? Will it install spyware? Will it become yet another piece of software tied to the OS that will make my compute have a mind of it's own? MS has been, and continue to be an ugly monster no matter how much they sugar coat it. People know this.

Savage Henry
Nov 4, 2004, 03:54 PM
Salzburg added the MSN Music store had become a profitable business for Microsoft, but he declined to provide further financial details

With minimum set up costs in an arena where all the development and research has been done by other companies and price it the same .... it will be virtually impossible to make it loss making.

Curios they wouldn't provide details ...

macnulty
Nov 4, 2004, 03:56 PM
The installed user base of Windows OS should have little to do with online music sales. It should correlate with sales of the relevant digital player, of which there is only one relevant digital music player, which isnít compatible with whatever MS is doing. I donít know what the market share of the iPod is in Europe but if it is any thing close to US percentages or gets close, I want whatever Slazburg is smoking for my bong.

iMeowbot
Nov 4, 2004, 04:02 PM
By "overtake" they could well be speaking of availability rather than sales. Of course, they already have that in existing markets, with multiple vendors offering WMA tracks, and it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference so far.

Savage Henry
Nov 4, 2004, 04:05 PM
I donít know what the market share of the iPod is in Europe but if it is any thing close to US percentages or gets close, I want whatever Slazburg is smoking for my bong.

Over here a guy at work said that while he was in the US he picked up 3 minis (at the third store of trying) for him and two other uk-based requestors because you can't get them for love nor money round here. So as far as sales numbers go, I'd say it was exactly equal to the number that Apple have managed to ship here.

nagromme
Nov 4, 2004, 06:13 PM
Funny... last I heard, after MSN opened their music store, Apple's share of downloads remained steady at 70%.

Hardly surprising with iPod having 92% of the HD player market.

spinner
Nov 4, 2004, 07:32 PM
not sure how they plan to overtake iTMS when its the only store that works with the mp3 player that has 90% of the market...magic perhaps, yes, that's it magic. Now watch as Bill pulls a rabbit out of his ass.

Sun Baked
Nov 4, 2004, 07:45 PM
Microsoft, which launched a download service over two years before Apple in Europe, has had difficulty keeping up with the popularity of Apple's iTunes, industry observers say.Yes, I can see MS overtaking Apple soon -- with a 2 year lead I'd hope the bloated rabbit can finally catch the svelte and nimble turtle.

Stella
Nov 4, 2004, 08:04 PM
Yes, I can see MS overtaking Apple soon -- with a 2 year lead I'd hope the bloated rabbit can finally catch the svelte and nimble turtle.

HP took over Creative and iRiver in less than 4 weeks!!!!

OK, its not *quite* the same...

zelmo
Nov 5, 2004, 07:08 AM
HP took over Creative and iRiver in less than 4 weeks!!!!

OK, its not *quite* the same...

Yup. I'm definitely worried about HP. They have a pretty good player on the market. Could be trouible for Apple. :p

g4cubed
Nov 5, 2004, 07:30 AM
Microsoft is good at disinformation and misdirection. And there are millions of people out there that are gulible and nieve about the truth, so they will believe this crap. Oh well, to bad for them. :p

shamino
Nov 5, 2004, 11:01 AM
They say they'll be taking over the market because they'll have stores in more countries.

Yeah, right.

If those stores don't move any product, they'll end up losing money, not making it.

It's like the old joke. You're taking a loss on every sale, but it doesn't matter because you plan to make it up in volume.

Having a broad distribution channel means nothing if you're not selling what people want to buy.