PDA

View Full Version : Did someone edit my signature?

makisushi
Nov 4, 2004, 08:22 PM
"Wha' Happened?"

PlaceofDis
Nov 4, 2004, 09:56 PM
what is it supposed to say? or why do you think someone edited it?

bousozoku
Nov 4, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yes, we all chipped in and bought you italics. :D

iMeowbot
Nov 4, 2004, 09:59 PM
I'll bet it's related to the moratorium on political discussion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=96200).

stoid
Nov 4, 2004, 10:01 PM
You also had exceeded your semi-colon quota, and the fine people of New Zealand were starting to get uppity about the ensuing shortage.

dotnina
Nov 4, 2004, 10:13 PM
If I remember your sig correctly, makisushi, I'm pretty sure iMeowbot is right on -- it's probably related to the moratorium on political discussions.

Mudbug
Nov 4, 2004, 11:05 PM
not really - the way you had it formatted, it was really tall and was distracting - we try to keep sigs from being more than 6 lines of normal type tall. One of the mods must have either seen it and changed it, or it was reported for some reason. You're welcome to change it to whatever you'd like, just try to keep it from being huge. :)

I don't remember exactly what it was like before... Usually if a mod changes it, you'll get a PM from them explaining why.

Macs R Us
Nov 5, 2004, 12:11 AM
Well, I had a mod ask me to shorten my sig by 2 lines, I had complied and there was no further problems... Just make it look neat and not flashie and no bad word :D :rolleyes: :cool: ... And you will be good to go...

Wes
Nov 5, 2004, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure if it was you, but in the last day I reported somebody for a big VOTE BUSH in their signature.

dotnina
Nov 5, 2004, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if it was you, but in the last day I reported somebody for a big VOTE BUSH in their signature.

I believe makisushi's sig did say "VOTE BUSH," in capital letters. It was in the default Macrumors size and font, however.

Doctor Q
Nov 5, 2004, 02:49 AM
It might have been me, makisushi, if it used to look like this:

ibook g3 500
quicksilver 733
imac g3 233 bondi
P4 2.6 homemade (gaming)
P3 500 thinkpad
P3 1.1 viao laptop
P4 1.8 viao desktop (POS)
P4 2.8 hp
P4 2.4 dell (office)

since signatures that are considered too tall are sometimes combined into fewer lines by me or another moderator. If it used to say "VOTE BUSH" and it no longer does, that wasn't my doing. Signatures should be no taller than about 5 or 6 lines of regular-sized text and not inflammatory or otherwise too distracting. The usual rules about profanity and personal insults also apply. But giving an opinion, political or otherwise, is acceptable. When changes made by a moderator are major (i.e., other than changing spacing or point size), we usually PM the member. Otherwise, we might not.

You and others are free to change your signatures at any time, as long as they follow our guidelines.

makisushi
Nov 5, 2004, 07:25 AM
I removed the "Vote Bush" yesterday, as it seemed to have worked... ;)
But, at about that same time, a moderator took out all the hard returns and replaced them with semi-colons, it is really no big deal, just an aesthetic thing for me.

Elan0204
Nov 5, 2004, 06:34 PM
makisushi, I believe that your old sig had all your computers listed as in Doctor Q's post. I believe it also had some sort of quote or other 2 line statement, plus your vote Bush comment. In total, you sig was like 12 lines longs and took up a lot of screen real estate, especially if your post was only like a line or two. If I had to guess, I'd say that your signature was probably edited do to its excessive length.

I know that on my small laptop screen, that long of a signature can take up like a third of browser window's length.

Doctor Q
Nov 5, 2004, 06:52 PM
Sometimes it's the stuff on the left (name, rank, avatar, location, and all the icons) that takes up the vertical space. Look at Wes's post above, for example. It's not a problem, so there will always be THAT minimum height to a post.