Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

021534-youtube.jpg

YouTube has announced that it has revamped its mobile YouTube site to support a complete YouTube browsing experience on modern mobile phones, including the iPhone. Of the changes to http://m.youtube.com, YouTube notes:
- It's really fast.
- The user interface incorporates larger, more touch-friendly elements, making it easier to access videos on the go.
- It incorporates the features and functionality you’ve come to expect from the .com site, like search query suggestions, the options to create playlists, the ability to designate “favorite,” “like” or “unlike” videos directly from your device.
- As we make improvements to Youtube.com, you’ll see them quickly follow on our mobile site, unlike native apps which are not updated as frequently.

In many ways the new mobile site now makes the native iPhone YouTube app obsolete. Like the native app, the mobile YouTube serves iPhone-friendly h.264 video that can be played right in mobile Safari. Every since 2007, YouTube has been encoding their videos in both Flash format as well as h.264 (for AppleTV and iPhone).

Article Link: YouTube Revamps Site for iPhone and Other Mobile Devices

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
The official Youtube app has been obsolete for years. Why not just update the App too?

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
obsolete stock apps is an overall problem with iOS, in my eyes
(weather app!, ... stocks, for some, etc.)

it's a pity one pretty much has to create a "trash" folder for un-needed apps instead of being able to just delete them, or maybe "toggle them invisible" somewhere in the settings menu

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Wow. Truly a great update. High quality videos over 3G is much welcomed. Time to hide the Apple build crappy Youtube app (with it's ugly icon).

Although, the subscriptions page is of all my subs, not unseen videos :(. I'll go send them a suggestion.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Way, way better than the app!

theneweyes

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
How about this idea?

The iPhone and iPad OS will be simpler to navigate and increasingly powerful.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
When I went to the site, I got an option to add an icon to my phone. This icon acts as a shortcut to the website. What's even better is that it allows me to sign in using my google information.
I can now stick the old YouTube app in my unused apps folder and move the link to mobile You Tube to the front.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
This has been long overdue - when I first got my iPhone 3G two years ago, Youtube vids worked great. But, as they introduced the "HD" (before the current 360, 480, and 720p), they never updated the site for the iPhone, and as a result, I kept getting "this format is not supported on this device" error messages. Over the past few months, a new message has been popping up: "this video not available on mobile" (even when on WiFi). It got to a point where I stopped watching YouTube on my iPhone and just went straight to my Windows XP computer because more than half of my favorite videos were "not available on mobile" with the iPhone.

Hopefully, YouTube has fixed these problems. I'm going to go check right now....

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Needs to show more recent videos added by subscriptions on the home page! Right now, it only shows the most recent 15, with no option to load more than that. I like the way Apple's YouTube app sorts Subscriptions, but I suppose I'll have to compromise in order to take advantage of the higher quality over the 3G network.

EDIT: Also, videos don't play in 720p when on Wi-Fi, but they do on the native app.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I'll give it a go but in my experience no web app has ever seemed as polished or fast as a native app (that goes for desktops too) but then I don't use YouTube much anyway...

EDIT: why haven't they added an icon for iPhone? That screenshot looks ugly on my home screen!!!

mac442

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Orlando
Finally! Youtube videos that actually download, and fast! And they don't stop downloading halfway thru! Eureka!

Looks like the App is going to the "Never Used" folder! Yay.:)

oneals2focus

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Indianapolis
When I went to the site, I got an option to add an icon to my phone. This icon acts as a shortcut to the website. What's even better is that it allows me to sign in using my google information.
I can now stick the old YouTube app in my unused apps folder and move the link to mobile You Tube to the front.

Yes! Now you also get a better icon too, like I had on my jailbroke 3GS! :D
0d7c0216.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.