PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the apple wireless keyboard? any alternatives?

MacJames8
Jul 8, 2010, 09:04 AM
I use the iPad primarily for web browsing and email.
Now, I get to the point where I find the virtual keyboard is bothering me.
It takes up valuable real estate of the LCD screen when I need to type.
I am thinking to buy the wireless keyboard. I am just wondering whether there are other lower cost alternatives with similar or better performance than the Apple wireless keyboard.
Thanks.

DaddyWhale
Jul 8, 2010, 09:21 AM
I am thinking to buy the wireless keyboard. I am just wondering whether there are other lower cost alternatives with similar or better performance than the Apple wireless keyboard.
Thanks.

Though I can't personally vouch for it, I've read that people have success with the Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000. I believe some say it's lighter than the Apple keyboard. Here's a link to Staples.com, http://www.staples.com/Microsoft-Bluetooth-Mobile-Keyboard-6000/product_818800?cmArea=SC3:CG18:DP1924:CL141982, which has it for a pretty good price (though you should google around to see if there are better prices. The Staples site claims that they have it in stock. But it does not seem to be available at my local Stables. So you should confirm availability if you want an in-store purchase.

I have the Apple wireless keyboard, and I like it a lot. Perhaps you should check out ebay. I got mine, brand-new, there for $47 including shipping.

DW

JonMPLS
Jul 8, 2010, 09:27 AM
Just my opinion. I really like the Apple wireless. Nice design and good tactile response.

sracer
Jul 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
The Apple BT keyboard is indeed excellent. I just wish that they had an iPad version that has the same keys as the iPad keyboard dock. There is one design flaw in the Apple BT keyboard in that the slightest contact with the power button will turn the keyboard on. This is particularly a problem when the keyboard is stowed in a backpack.

MacJames8
Jul 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the help !

Maziar
Jul 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
I use the Apple wireless keyboard and so far its been excellent.I recommend it to anyone who wants to pair their iPad with a BT keyboard

smithjake
Jul 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks.

If you'd be okay with a flexible keyboard, check out one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003K1VABO?ie=UTF8&tag=0123899951-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003K1VABO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JIQA36?ie=UTF8&tag=0123899951-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003JIQA36

skullnbones
Jul 12, 2010, 12:46 AM
I do quite a lot of work on mine with Pages and QuickOffice. So much in fact that my finger tips began to get quite sore. Glass is quite unfirgiving, like tapping on a window all day. So the BT keyboard is a fantastic accessory, which I keep in a neoprene (Spiderman!) pencil case which cost me all of $10.

I have one for my iMac, so the batteries only need to be replaced every 8-10 weeks or so wimth frequent use.

SchneiderMan
Jul 12, 2010, 01:47 AM
Yes you really should get Apple's Wireless Keyboard. It's a great keyboard. Might I say the best keyboard imo.

prot0type
Jul 12, 2010, 05:59 PM
There's a foldable full size keyboard from Matias that seems to work well. Just do a search on amazon.

I'm also debating on apple's keyboard. Just wondering if a number pad is worth the extra $15-20 that the Matias offers.

prot0type
Jul 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
The Apple BT keyboard is indeed excellent. I just wish that they had an iPad version that has the same keys as the iPad keyboard dock. There is one design flaw in the Apple BT keyboard in that the slightest contact with the power button will turn the keyboard on. This is particularly a problem when the keyboard is stowed in a backpack.

Any idea if there is a case available? Good way to protect the keyboard as well as prevent any accidental powering.

JonMPLS
Jul 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
Any idea if there is a case available? Good way to protect the keyboard as well as prevent any accidental powering.

WaterField has a nice keyboard case. Out of stock, of course. (It would be interesting to know how many items went out of stock as a result of the iPad launch!)

http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboardcases/keyboard.htm

However, the only one I have seen that helps prevent accidental powering on is the original box the keyboard came in--that's what I pack in my suitcase.

IrishVixen
Jul 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
For the accidental powering issue...I cut my own plastic cover from a pump spray bottle cap. Went through the bathroom cabinets until I found one with a diameter that would ensure a fairly snug fit, then notched it with a pair of kitchen shears. It works well, but the plastic has loosened a bit over the 6-8 weeks I've had it in my messenger bag. Thankfully, the bag was custom made specifically for the width of that keyboard, so the cap can't fall off while in there. Using a longish rubber band over the cap and width of the device might also work.

Of course, some people just remove the batteries! :D

vincenz
Jul 13, 2010, 12:06 PM
You can't go wrong with the Apple wireless keyboard. When you don't want to use it for the iPad, it translates nicely to a computer too.

tkao2025
Jul 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
WaterField has a nice keyboard case. Out of stock, of course. (It would be interesting to know how many items went out of stock as a result of the iPad launch!)

However, the only one I have seen that helps prevent accidental powering on is the original box the keyboard came in--that's what I pack in my suitcase.
DOH! I bought one today and never noticed the sold out issue. I'm still keeping the pre-order, but wish I had it for my trip this weekend.

prot0type
Jul 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
Took the plunge, apple keyboard will be here Thursday :)

tkao2025
Jul 13, 2010, 09:05 PM
Took the plunge, apple keyboard will be here Thursday :)
You won't regret it.

elleana
Jul 14, 2010, 03:21 AM
I use the wired keyboard for my iMac so the wireless one that came with it can be paired with the iPad. Works like a champ. If you're used to laptop keyboards you won't even notice that the numberpad is missing.

tkao2025
Jul 14, 2010, 05:38 AM
Ordered a case from Waterfield.....they didn't have the one I wanted in stock and offered something equally nice. I must say they have excellent service and I would not hesitate to buy again.

Now I will have a case for my upcoming trip with my Ipad :)

MacJames8
Jul 14, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have decided to go with a Apple BT keyboard. Thanks all the enabler here! I emptied my wallet once more. I suspect that I will find more accessories to buy after this one. Do I see that cool bag to keep my iPad and keyboard together somewhere? :rolleyes:

prot0type
Jul 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
Received my keyboard yesterday and am very pleased with it's performance. Definitely a thumbs up.

Those looking for a case, a netbook sleeve works well in a pinch.

Built
Sep 1, 2010, 01:57 AM

I found this keyboard case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard on Ebay (I ended up buying two of them.) Awesome case. Fits like a glove. Soft, yet rigid enough to prevent accidental turning on of the keyboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320559308802&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I think Waterfield Designs is run by very nice people...VERY responsive...but their products, thus far, have left me unimpressed. I was VERY disappointed with an awful, ill-fitting iPhone 4 sleeve I purchased directly from Waterfield Designs. Unfortunately, I would not purchase from them again. It didn't fit with the bumper on...but slid around inside with the bumper off. I was really hopeful that their products were as good as their Customer Service, but this was not the case...at least not for me.

I DO, however, highly recommend the keyboard case I bought off of Ebay.

IrishVixen
Sep 1, 2010, 02:15 AM
I found this keyboard case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard on Ebay (I ended up buying two of them.) Awesome case. Fits like a glove. Soft, yet rigid enough to prevent accidental turning on of the keyboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320559308802&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I DO, however, highly recommend the keyboard case I bought off of Ebay.

Sigh.

**adds yet another accessory to the growing pile of "stuff I must have for my iDevices"**

It NEVER ends! :D (But thanks a lot, Built!)

Built
Sep 1, 2010, 02:23 AM
Sigh.

**adds yet another accessory to the growing pile of "stuff I must have for my iDevices"**

It NEVER ends! :D (But thanks a lot, Built!)

:) No problem, IrishVixen!

Actually...I hear you...I THOUGHT I was getting off cheaply when I realized that I had about 500 dollars in Best Buy gift cards and Reward Zone points. and decided to get the iPad from there.

Little did I know that I would be spending a small fortune in accessories, cases, sleeves, etc. LOL (Of course, this was my choice.) Of course, I also did this for each one of my iPhones, my Macbook, and all of my other electronics, to be honest. LOL I can never be happy just having the device...I have to go nuts with accessories!

TraceyS/FL
Sep 1, 2010, 08:57 AM
:) No problem, IrishVixen!

Actually...I hear you...I THOUGHT I was getting off cheaply when I realized that I had about 500 dollars in Best Buy gift cards and Reward Zone points. and decided to get the iPad from there.

Little did I know that I would be spending a small fortune in accessories, cases, sleeves, etc. LOL (Of course, this was my choice.) Of course, I also did this for each one of my iPhones, my Macbook, and all of my other electronics, to be honest. LOL I can never be happy just having the device...I have to go nuts with accessories!

HMPH.

I need one of these.

I was going to SEW again to make something on my own.... i still may have to try that because the wallet is empty for a few more weeks!

Thanks for the enabling Built! LOL!!

Built
Sep 1, 2010, 09:58 AM
HMPH.

I need one of these.

I was going to SEW again to make something on my own.... i still may have to try that because the wallet is empty for a few more weeks!

Thanks for the enabling Built! LOL!!

Morning, Tracey! :)

I will say that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is great. Lightweight, compact and easy to pair.

Sorry for the enabling! :)

newbiemacguy128
Sep 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.senacases.com/apple/apple-ipad-cases/keyboard-folio/
(http://www.senacases.com/apple/apple-ipad-cases/keyboard-folio/)

Sena has a nice keyboard case. If you intend on using it to type notes at school this seems really nice.. Although it wont deliver until October.

I'm debating if a keyboard is actually worth it for me though. I've gotten used to carrying my 15in mbp around...

tekchic
Sep 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
I was surprised to find that my 5 yr old "ThinkOutside" Stowaway bt keyboard worked just fine on my iPad and iPhone 4. It's a folding keyboard and just has 4 rows of keys (have to hit function keys to use numbers/punctuation). I like that it folds up and all, but I'll probably be getting the Apple wireless keyboard at some point just because it's much easier to type on than my little folding one.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 1, 2010, 02:14 PM
Morning, Tracey! :)

I will say that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is great. Lightweight, compact and easy to pair.

Sorry for the enabling! :)

I got the BT keyboard for mothers day.... But somehow my child keeps stealing it to type her school stuff. Brat.

But we are having issues with throwing it in bags and such, so I have to figure something out to put it in. When i'm not having to lug around 500 pieces of paper for this stupid pending trial.... It won't be as big of a deal to fit in the bags.

But that case you found on eBay is tempting......

And hey, i tsice to be enabled for a change - its normally my job to enable! :D