Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcdavies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Just brought a

Refurbished Mac mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram and 160 gig hard drive

did it really spare of the moment saw it was online have been looking to get a mac since they gave me one to use at work. I now these mac mini refurbs dont seem to hang around long. Not sure i made the right decision though. looking to mostly use it for surfing the net and some lightroom 3 work and interested to use garageband.

did i make a good decision????

Will keep as it is for now will then to look to boot up to 4 gig ram and then maybe change the hd to a ssd.

Any way just thought i would share my buy and see if anyone has any imput.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Depends on what you paid for it, and if your happy. The new mini's are out, they have HDMI support which is more tempting for me. It would make a nice media center for the big screen tv...

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have a 2.0Ghz Mac mini that came with 1GB of memory and a 120GB HDD. I upgrade the memory to 4GB and the HDD to a 320GB 7200RPM drive. It's been a wonderful little machine. It's fast and silent. It drives two monitors. It does what I need with no fuss. The 9400M doesn't suck. All in all, it was a great purchase!

Enjoy the mini. I don't think it was a bad purchase at all. The new ones offer HDMI and a new chassis that makes it almost impossible to upgrade the HDD. The new video is nice, but other than that, the architecture is about the same.

jcdavies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Cheers guys not really bothered about the HDMI its not top of my priorities by any means. Im looking forward to using it and then upgrading stuff when i have the chance should be fun. i paid $550 canadian for it.

Not quite sure what I am going to tell the gf though sure she wont be impressed.

depulse

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Europe
I have a 2.0Ghz Mac mini that came with 1GB of memory and a 120GB HDD. I upgrade the memory to 4GB and the HDD to a 320GB 7200RPM drive.

Exactly what I did just a few days ago. I found a shop which had a factory refurb of the same model in stock, for 399 Euros instead of paying 799 for the new model. Full warranty from the shop.

I will add 4 Gb of RAM and a 500 Gb 7200 RPM harddisk, which I would have done for the enw model anyway.

The new Mini is a very good ad for the older model, I don't need better graphics (I'll use the Mini for composing music) and the base configuration for RAM and HD is too small anyway so they need to be updated. An easy way to get similar performance for half the price.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Even with the 9400M, I've been playing World of Warcraft with all the pretties at medium and at full resolution (I've got a pair of 20" easel cinema displays. full resolution is 1680x1050) with no lag and no issues at all. Graphically it does pretty well. As for everything else, I wouldn't be able to tell if it were a Mini or a Mac Pro. It really is a great little machine. I just wish it used 3.5" HDDs, as upgrading to a 2TB disk would be really great. That's about my only complaint with it, though.

Katilea

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Anyone know where I could get refubished Mac Mini in UK?

Also could I connect it to a regular touchscreen windows computer and run Mac on it instead of windows. I want to be able to input text by pressing the keystrokes on-screen keyboard directly and touching icons on dock etc rather than having to 'steer' the cursor via a mouse.

I thought I may be able to do refurbished/second hand mac mini and touchscreen cheaper than an Axiotron modbook with synergy touchscreen (around £3,000 in UK I think).

Thanks

Kati

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.