TheRancor
Jul 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hello all,

First off, here's my system stats:

Mac 10.5.8
G5 w/ iSight
2.1 Ghz CPU (PowerPC)
1 GB RAM

I have been using GarageBand, which uses up to 80% when playing a file back. It also becomes unresponsive and bogs the computer down to the point of having to force quit the program. I have lost progress on my work several times due to these lock-ups and I would like to know if anyone has experienced this problem and if there any suggestions as to how to fix it.

I am also having issues with the ReportCrash process in the Activity Monitor (it routinely hogs up to 80% of the CPU when there is nothing else running). Is there any way to get rid of this process? I feel that it is using system resources and contributing to my issues with GarageBand.

Thanks!

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 8, 2010, 07:25 PM
Upgrading the memory would be my first step. I believe that you can install up to 2.5gb into the iSight G5 iMacs. A DDR2 2gb dimm is what you will need as 512mb is soldered and there is only one dimm socket.

How much free space do you have left on your HDD? Slow/full HDD could also cause it to freeze up or slow down the system.

Cleaning all the dust wouldn't hurt either as heat buildup could lead to poor performance. Just clean it out with compressed air.