PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Tycoon 3

iriejedi
Nov 5, 2004, 10:07 AM
I was always a fan of this series - anyone play the new version?

Considering putting it on my wish list for Santa.

Cheers,

Irie

ChrisFromCanada
Nov 5, 2004, 11:20 AM
I have played it and it is lots of fun. I have never played the other ones though.

hvfsl
Nov 5, 2004, 11:57 AM
I played it on my PC and think it is a lot of fun. Although I will normally play it for about a week, then go off it and then come back to it a few weeks later. The graphics are serveral times better than the old version and there are quite a few improvements too. Although I wish you could build more than a 2 lane/track railroad because I quite often get really long cues of trains suck behind one that is broken down, on the busy parts of the line.

Does anyone know if there will be a demo because I would like to get it for my Powerbook, but want to know if it runs well.

wowser
Dec 4, 2004, 08:06 AM
Sorry to bring this one up again, but how would RRT3 run on the machine in my signature?

erickg
Dec 4, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sorry to bring this one up again, but how would RRT3 run on the machine in my signature?

I ran it on a powerbook 12" G4 rev. A 867MHz and 640MB Ram with no problems so it should be okay on your system. I don't know how much vram you have, but they recommend 32MB. Now I'm running it on an ibook g4 1.2 GHz with 768MB and it's very smooth as well.

wowser
Dec 4, 2004, 12:21 PM
Cool. I have the 32MB ATI card - that was what worried me as it only just meets the requirements. I downloaded Open Transport Tycoon, though, and am pretty happy with it!

micvog
Dec 22, 2004, 06:06 PM
I was considering picking up Railroad Tycoon 3 (never played it or its predecessors before) and I have two questions:

1. Does it require the CD to play? If so, does creating and mounting disk images work?

2. Does it support the widescreen format? I have a 17" iMac G5 and the two other games I have - F/A 18 OIF and AOE2 - don't support widescreen.

Thanks.

Kerry Sanders
Jul 19, 2005, 01:15 PM
My apologies for digging this thread out of the grave, but there is really no use in opening up a new thread.

Anyway, what does everyone who is playing RRT3 think of it? I installed it on the Mac the other day and played around through the tutorial a little, but I have not gotten into a complete game as of yet.

One thing that I noticed right away is that the game seemed to be a lot smoother on my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 system compared to my AMD XP-2000+ based system. I even had all detail options set to the highest level available.

pknz
Jul 19, 2005, 03:22 PM
Rail Road Tycoon 3 is a huge improvement from RRT2. A decent graphics card for more eye candy might be in order.

I'm 90% sure FA-18 Hornet OIF supports widescreen. Unpatched it just stretched it to fill the screen but if you update it, you will get a wider view...

Kerry Sanders
Jul 19, 2005, 04:28 PM
Rail Road Tycoon 3 is a huge improvement from RRT2. A decent graphics card for more eye candy might be in order.

The ATI Radeon 9650 with 256 meg of RAM on my Power Mac blows right through the ultra-high resolution graphics that I have it set to in all of the settings. It is definitely a nice game. My six year old son has been bugging me to show him how to play it for a while now. I need to sit down and do that.

Eric5h5
Jul 19, 2005, 08:01 PM
One thing that I noticed right away is that the game seemed to be a lot smoother on my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 system compared to my AMD XP-2000+ based system. I even had all detail options set to the highest level available.

But...but...x86 is faster, PPC sucks for gaming, etc. etc. ;)

I have it, but have only poked around a bit so far. Seems nice.

--Eric