Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
I admit - I was one of those people who got up at 4 in the morning to preorder the iPhone the day preorders were available. 16 hours later I was able to put my order through.

When I got my iPhone 4, I was in love, except I despised the darn dropped calls! One day, 3/5 calls I made in 3-4 bar areas were dropped within 10-20 seconds. It was the most frustrating thing to experience, especially when they are calls with clients.

Right after I dropped 2 calls with a client today and had to actually use a landline phone to actually talk, a case and screen protector package I ordered from eBay for $5 came in the mail. I was so glad so I could take off the factory plastic protectors on my phone!
The case and screen protector look really nice and flawless on the phone. The best thing about it - I haven't dropped a call since I put it on. I've made several calls today with the case on even in 1 bar areas and I've been perfectly fine.
Just to experiment - I took the case off and made a call to my mother (holding the phone "correctly" of course). I didn't even talk to her for a minute and I dropped the call. I put the case back on, I talked to her for about 5 minutes and finished my call with no trouble.

Do you think this reception situation with iPhone 4s are just a coincidence or do you believe this is an actual software issue that will be resolved with an update or a simple case? It shouldn't be necessary in the first place, but what are your thoughts?

I'm just glad I found a solution... for now. :p

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I was NEVER a case guy until 2 years ago when my son dropped my 3G from about 1 foot up and the glass broke. I figured as a father it'd just be smart to use a case from that point forward.

To be honest, although I thought I'd hate the idea, I like to use a simple black case. I used an inCase Slider before and am using the Black iFrogz on my i4. Both are slick so they go in and out of my pocket easily. Plus, I can now gently 'toss' my phone on the counter without having to worry so much. It's my $30 'insurance policy' and it just makes me feel better.

Also, I just sold my 3G for $200 and part of that was because it was in excellent condition despite 2 years of hard use by me and my kids. The $30 paid for itself IMHO.

Enjoy your case! :)

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Glad to hear the cheap cases on ebay work well.

I ordered one on ebay that looks identical and it is also shipping from NY but it is from a different seller. I am currently using the rubber case that is made for my old 3g which "kinda" fits. But i have had it on from day one and I haven't dropped a call so i'm pleased. Hopefully the new one will have the same results.

I should be getting it any day now and i will report back on the quality of the case and the amount of bars lost.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
I was NEVER a case guy until 2 years ago when my son dropped my 3G from about 1 foot up and the glass broke. I figured as a father it'd just be smart to use a case from that point forward.

To be honest, although I thought I'd hate the idea, I like to use a simple black case. I used an inCase Slider before and am using the Black iFrogz on my i4. Both are slick so they go in and out of my pocket easily. Plus, I can now gently 'toss' my phone on the counter without having to worry so much. It's my $30 'insurance policy' and it just makes me feel better.

Also, I just sold my 3G for $200 and part of that was because it was in excellent condition despite 2 years of hard use by me and my kids. The $30 paid for itself IMHO.

Enjoy your case! :)

I never used to be a case person either until I got really picky and annoyed seeing scratches on the screen and the back when friends took my phone and played around with it roughly. Plus with a case, I know my value should be higher if I decide to sell it in for another iPhone in the future. ;) I sold my jailbroken 3Gs that lived it's life in a case for $255, so I made out!

Is the silicone really thin? I like silicone cases but have found cheap ones have really thin silicone which will do very little if you drop your phone

I honestly hate silicone cases, but this is one I actually like. It's thin, but it's thicker than other flimsy cases I have seen. It seems like a really durable case and fits very snuggly around the phone.

Glad to hear the cheap cases on ebay work well.

I ordered one on ebay that looks identical and it is also shipping from NY but it is from a different seller. I am currently using the rubber case that is made for my old 3g which "kinda" fits. But i have had it on from day one and I haven't dropped a call so i'm pleased. Hopefully the new one will have the same results.

I should be getting it any day now and i will report back on the quality of the case and the amount of bars lost.

I would love to hear your results when you get the case!

simer

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
screen protectors dont do anything

Sorry, but you're going to have to explain that statement to me. Screen protectors protect the screen. What else do you want them to do?

My 3GS screen has no scratches on it after nearly a year going in and out of my pocket extremely regularly. Are you saying that would have been the case if I didn't use a screen protector?

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
It sucks that I ordered this case from the site that sells them (can't think of what it is, currently) two weeks ago, and it hasn't come in yet. I really need a case, but am too lazy to go out and buy one.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I purchased some cheap cases from ebay.co.uk (three for about £7 including shipping) and they seem to have done the job. You will still have antenna issues if you squeeze the phone but for actual, normal and realistic use it seems to be great now.

The cases seem quite thick and do the job pretty well.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Sorry, but you're going to have to explain that statement to me. Screen protectors protect the screen. What else do you want them to do?

My 3GS screen has no scratches on it after nearly a year going in and out of my pocket extremely regularly. Are you saying that would have been the case if I didn't use a screen protector?

I'll take this one.

One word answer: YES

Longer answer: yes, and with a much better screen feel and overall cleaner screen while you're at it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
screen protectors dont do anything

Of course they do. They protect the screen -- not just from other items in your pocket or bag, but also from "d'oh" moments like losing grip of a sharpie which then bounces onto your phone's screens. Happened. At $1 or so a piece I don't see any reason not to have one.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
I have an iPod Touch from 2+ yrs ago. I put it in a flip case and it looks great. I have not dropped it but I have taken it with me in suitcases, handbags and other things and it looks great. I would never get an i-anything without having a case to go with it to protect it, and that includes something to keep the screen scratch free, too.

Same with my old Blackberry, it is in a case and even though it has a plastic screen, it looks new. Been dropped and taken around the world. The case is a great investment.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
I agree with others that screen protectors do benefit us. I put my iPhone in my clutch that has coins, my keys (and my BMW key that enjoyed scratching my other generation iPhones without screen protectors) and other various objects that can do some damage. It's a small investment that saves you from saying, "I should have got a screen protector."

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
It sucks that I ordered this case from the site that sells them (can't think of what it is, currently) two weeks ago, and it hasn't come in yet. I really need a case, but am too lazy to go out and buy one.

Meritline . com?

I have the exact case that is in this thread that I purchased from meritline. It great for the price and is a thick silicone case. The silicone is a little on the slick side, probably because it is new, and hugs the phone very well. This is going to hold me over until the otterbox comes out.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
Meritline . com?

I have the exact case that is in this thread that I purchased from meritline. It great for the price and is a thick silicone case. The silicone is a little on the slick side, probably because it is new, and hugs the phone very well. This is going to hold me over until the otterbox comes out.

Great to hear. It was a steal for $2.

How long did it take you to get yours, if I may ask?

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
For those who ordered similar cases, mine took a bit of time... about 1 1/2 weeks. But it was worth the wait.
I've been making calls all day in low signal areas and no dropped calls so far! If I didn't have the case I probably wouldn't be talking. :rolleyes:

simer

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
I'll take this one.

One word answer: YES

Longer answer: yes, and with a much better screen feel and overall cleaner screen while you're at it.

Horse manure. And it's not even that we have difference of opinion or experience.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

had 3gs since day one and perfect screen. and my 3g too. and damn that thing slid down concrete and down metal chairs.

also screen protectors make the screen feel cheap and make it so the screen gets dirtier. it can even break it if its one of those liquid screen protecters, it can cause damage and there goes your phone and apple care...

any how i dont see any benefits to them. only draw backs. tho a case is a must have.

simer

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
had 3gs since day one and perfect screen. and my 3g too. and damn that thing slid down concrete and down metal chairs.

also screen protectors make the screen feel cheap and make it so the screen gets dirtier. it can even break it if its one of those liquid screen protecters, it can cause damage and there goes your phone and apple care...

any how i dont see any benefits to them. only draw backs. tho a case is a must have.

I'm happy to accept your points on the difference in the screen feel, but I know for a fact that with the way I use my 3GS I get scratches on the screen when I don't use a screen protector. You can say your screen is exactly the same as it was when you got it out the box, maybe you have magic, dust free pockets, I don't know or maybe I just don't believe you.

If you argue that the problems outweigh the benefits, fine that's an opinion, but to say that a screen protector does nothing is, as I say, horse manure. You cannot convince me that the front of any consumer device is constructed from something that is completely impervious to scratches.

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
I have the Meritline case and love it. I don't need anything better. Since my wife now has an IP4, I ordered 3 more, so that we each have a case and a spare. At $3 each delivered - why not?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
just received my case from that seller after about 2-3 days of waiting. it's obviously not the greatest build quality for a dollar case, and the camera hole doesn't produce the best results with flash (gonna probably modify it with an xacto blade), but it fits pretty good, and the death grip issue seems to have disappeared.

until other manufacturers fix their cases' flash issues, i'll be using this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.