PDA

View Full Version : Pixar 'Cars' teaser posted to Apple Web site

MacBytes
Nov 5, 2004, 11:35 AM
Category: Videos
Link: Pixar \'Cars\' teaser posted to Apple Web site (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041105123535)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jydesign
Nov 5, 2004, 11:39 AM
Looks like a quota over quality effort, perhaps to get closer to the end of Pixar's Disney agreement? Sorry, but the boxiness looks outdated compared to the lush organic stuff going on in Incredibles...

2GMario
Nov 5, 2004, 12:15 PM
i thought it looked good

dont think id see it in the theater, but definately rent and buy maybe

what do you mean by boxy ? thier cars, thier supposed to be boxy looking.

-Mario

backupdrummer
Nov 5, 2004, 12:30 PM
It just wasn't that funny and the CG looked more like Dreamworks then Pixar. :confused:

Oh well they do have a year to improve it.

macridah
Nov 5, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cars looks promising. I heard someone in Pixar say at an interview that "monsters inc or finding nemo isn't even our best movie, wait until Cars comes out."

We'll see in about a year. For now, I'll compare monsters inc and finding nemo to incredibles ... in about 10 hours.

2GMario
Nov 5, 2004, 12:40 PM
isnt that a bit odd also ? for a second i thought it came out yesterday and i just never heard of it. then i saw 2005

why release a trailer a entire year in advance ? bring up the stock ? not like pixar isnt a pretty well known name.

Mudbug
Nov 5, 2004, 12:52 PM
the preview for the incredibles was out around a year ahead of time as well - they use it to keep the public aware that they're always working on new projects. The fact that they're so far along with Cars at this point is quite promising. :)

I'm looking forward to it already, and plan on seeing The Incredibles this weekend with the kids. Good stuff! :D

the_mole1314
Nov 5, 2004, 12:59 PM
They promoted Monsters Inc infront of Bugs Life, they promoted Nemo infront of Monsters Inc, they promoted Incredibles infront of Nemo, and now they are promoting Cars infront of Incredibles.

I'm not thrilled.

edesignuk
Nov 5, 2004, 01:10 PM
From that short teaser (and yes, I know it's early days), it looks toilet, I wouldn't wanna see it.

zelmo
Nov 5, 2004, 01:26 PM
Well, I feel about Cars the same way I feel with the first view of any Pixar trailer....eh.

That being said, I haved enjoyed every movie, so I guess I'll be excited about this one, too.

jettredmont
Nov 5, 2004, 01:29 PM
Category: Videos
Link: Pixar \'Cars\' teaser posted to Apple Web site (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041105123535)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Hmm. It doesn't thrill me. Pretty much, at all. Very dissapointing.

As a track record, I've been quite excited by almost all of Pixar's previous teaser trailers. The exception was Finding Nemo, which looked interesting but not exciting. This doesn't even look interesting.

But then again, since Finding Nemo was a blockbuster hit, maybe I'm a counter-indicator on Pixar box-office appeal ...

IMHO, the first thing that bugged me was the bee disappearing from the truck's windshield when the gag was over ... very un-Pixar-like. The second thing that bugged me was that I already saw this anthropocentric car styling ... in a Chevron commercial. The third thing that bugged me was that there were no people in the teaser ... even the pit crew was replaced by cars, albeit smaller ones ... so is this to be the first Pixar production which doesn't even have a minor finger-on-the-ledge hold to the "real world"? That's more Dreamworks' style, IMHO.

All in all, disappointing. I do, of course, reserve the right to change my analysis upon the second teaser and full trailer which should be coming out as the release date approaches :)

katanna
Nov 5, 2004, 04:27 PM
Dad Gum!!

Looks great, too bad we have to wait a full year (almost exactly) to see it!

Oh well

Matthew

Flying Llama
Nov 5, 2004, 06:57 PM
wow... im dissapointed. looks too "cartoonish", like on the chevron commercials. i dont think i will see it in theaters...
:( :( :o

StarmanDeluxe
Nov 5, 2004, 08:18 PM
Reminds me of Brave Little Toaster, which WAS a favorite of mine growing up. I'm interested.

PlaceofDis
Nov 5, 2004, 10:22 PM
the first thing that bugged me was the bee disappearing from the truck's windshield when the gag was over ... very un-Pixar-like.

well i read your post, and replayed that part, if you watch closely, you can see him blink the bee away, Very Pixar-like

im not too sure where i stand with this one right now, i want to know more about the movie before i say yes or no for it....

solvs
Nov 5, 2004, 11:29 PM
From that short teaser (and yes, I know it's early days), it looks toilet, I wouldn't wanna see it.
I would agree with you... but considering I've said the same thing after watching the preview for every other Pixar movie, I might give this one a chance. It is a year away from being released, hopefully we will be surprised (iPod is overpriced and will never sell, anyone?)

I do see images of Chevron (even though I believe Pixar has been developing this for awhile), but also brave little toaster. Which was a good 'toon. If you're into that sorta thing.

redAPPLE
Nov 6, 2004, 04:33 AM
my say is, i would wait to find out what "cars" is all about. i had the same feeling with "nemo".

Rod Rod
Nov 6, 2004, 07:43 AM
-snip-

The second thing that bugged me was that I already saw this anthropocentric car styling ... in a Chevron commercial.

The animation in the Chevron commercials was very different. The medium was clay and the colors were a bit drab. It's reminiscent, sure, but by the same token it's similar to cartoon cars going back decades.

The third thing that bugged me was that there were no people in the teaser ... even the pit crew was replaced by cars, albeit smaller ones ... so is this to be the first Pixar production which doesn't even have a minor finger-on-the-ledge hold to the "real world"? That's more Dreamworks' style, IMHO.

You probably meant "anthropomorphic" when you said anthropocentric in reference to the Chevron commercial. The lack of humans, noted in the above quote, actually shows the opposite of anthropocentrism.

All in all, disappointing. I do, of course, reserve the right to change my analysis upon the second teaser and full trailer which should be coming out as the release date approaches :)

It's probably a good thing to have lowered expectations, as that will likely enhance your enjoyment once you see it (provided it's on the Finding Nemo level).

No matter what, my nieces and nephews are going to love it. :)

MacDawg
Nov 6, 2004, 07:48 AM
I don't doubt it will do well with the kids.
I just think it will have to have more to it to keep the interest of the adults. But that's true of any animation/cartoon movie. So far they have been able to do that. Each movie has to prove itself. We will have to wait and see.

g4cubed
Nov 6, 2004, 12:37 PM
IMHO, the first thing that bugged me was the bee disappearing from the truck's windshield when the gag was over ... very un-Pixar-like. If you look again he blinks several times and you can see it fly off the windshield.
The second thing that bugged me was that I already saw this anthropocentric car styling ... in a Chevron commercial.
I don't think anthropocentric is the word you mean. And just because someone else did something on similar lines as this, which you may not have liked, doesn't make this bad.
The third thing that bugged me was that there were no people in the teaser ... even the pit crew was replaced by cars, albeit smaller ones ... so is this to be the first Pixar production which doesn't even have a minor finger-on-the-ledge hold to the "real world"? That's more Dreamworks' style, IMHO.
If you look in the stands those too are cars or should I say vehicles. I don't think you'll see people in this. But I might be wrong on that.
in all, disappointing. I do, of course, reserve the right to change my analysis upon the second teaser and full trailer which should be coming out as the release date approaches :)
And I'm sure you will change your mind. Most all their first trailers looked so-so.

What I'm wondering is if it's going to be more about the NASCAR cars and their life or a story about a car wanting to race? Looks as if it has good possibilities.

sparkleytone
Nov 6, 2004, 09:46 PM
I have yet to see a Pixar movie I didn't like. A Bug's Life was my least favorite, and it was still very good. The movies seem to be getting better and better. The Incredibles was was awesome, Cars will be too.