PDA

View Full Version : I'm interested in developing apps for iPhone..

amazingdm
Jul 9, 2010, 12:43 AM
with ad based revenue viable for free apps, I am down to try as hard as I can.

Where do I start?

MorphingDragon
Jul 9, 2010, 03:36 AM

Where do I start?

The first step would be learning the Objective-C Language. This book teaches the Objective-C language and a little bit of iPhone development. Its also arguably the best Obj-C book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

(If you're too cheap to buy a book http://cocoadevcentral.com/)

But the real question to ask is where do I want to go? Do I want to make games? Do I want to make utility apps?

EG: I want to make games for a living. I also need funds during University, so I thought I might try making iPhone games. So I directed my non-University learning towards that and got this book to start me off http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Games-Development-Cabrera/dp/1430225998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664536&sr=1-1

amazingdm
Jul 10, 2010, 01:08 AM
The first step would be learning the Objective-C Language. This book teaches the Objective-C language and a little bit of iPhone development. Its also arguably the best Obj-C book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

(If you're too cheap to buy a book http://cocoadevcentral.com/)

But the real question to ask is where do I want to go? Do I want to make games? Do I want to make utility apps?

EG: I want to make games for a living. I also need funds during University, so I thought I might try making iPhone games. So I directed my non-University learning towards that and got this book to start me off http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Games-Development-Cabrera/dp/1430225998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664536&sr=1-1

I want to make EVERYthing. I want to make tons and tons of apps.
But thank you... you gave me a start. If I learn, master, objective-C will this be like a second nature for me?

admanimal
Jul 10, 2010, 01:30 AM
I want to make tons and tons of apps.

Please don't.

BklynKid
Jul 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
Please don't.

:)

Anyway, I like this book. If you're just new to the iPhone/Xcode/Objective-C but not programming in general it'll give you a nice crash course in Objective-C while showing you the basic ropes of developing iPhone apps.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430224592/

amazingdm
Jul 10, 2010, 03:50 AM
:)

Anyway, I like this book. If you're just new to the iPhone/Xcode/Objective-C but not programming in general it'll give you a nice crash course in Objective-C while showing you the basic ropes of developing iPhone apps.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430224592/

To clarify I AM absolutely new to programming

MorphingDragon
Jul 10, 2010, 06:14 AM
To clarify I AM absolutely new to programming

The "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" book I linked assumes no programming Knowledge.

amazingdm
Jul 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
The "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" book I linked assumes no programming Knowledge.

Thank you.
Should I wait for the 3rd edition?

MorphingDragon
Jul 11, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thank you.

Well, look at it this way, the third edition will have more "errata" fixed, minor updates to reflect new changes that Apple have made etc.

Lets just put it this way, you can but it doesn't matter that much.

dejo
Jul 11, 2010, 04:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I want to make EVERYthing. I want to make tons and tons of apps.
But thank you... you gave me a start. If I learn, master, objective-C will this be like a second nature for me?

And what is your goal in developing tons and tons of apps?

amazingdm
Jul 11, 2010, 11:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

And what is your goal in developing tons and tons of apps?

Make money

admanimal
Jul 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Why not just make one really great app?

amazingdm
Jul 11, 2010, 11:40 PM
Why not just make one really great app?

Either or..

skochan
Jul 14, 2010, 05:20 AM
Thank you.

It's going to be a few months before the third edition is out. The new edition will include updates throughout, as well as:

1. minor updates due to changes in XCode
2. removal of some deprecated methods
3. feedback from my forum, including some additional explanations and diagrams

There will be some new material as well (such as an introduction to blocks).

If you need to learn Objective-C now, I wouldn't suggested waiting.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

MorphingDragon
Jul 14, 2010, 05:50 AM
It's going to be a few months before the third edition is out. The new edition will include updates throughout, as well as:

1. minor updates due to changes in XCode
2. removal of some deprecated methods
3. feedback from my forum, including some additional explanations and diagrams

There will be some new material as well (such as an introduction to blocks).

If you need to learn Objective-C now, I wouldn't suggested waiting.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

I might buy it just for my offline reference just for these. I find it faster looking up the appendix at the back for basic things than Apple's reference.

Would you consider putting a cheat sheet in your new book? Just a little nicety.

---

I still haven't bothered to learn C :o

mdatwood
Jul 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
Make money

Haha...good luck, here's some bed time reading:
Long Tail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail)

skochan
Jul 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
I might buy it just for my offline reference just for these. I find it faster looking up the appendix at the back for basic things than Apple's reference.

Would you consider putting a cheat sheet in your new book? Just a little nicety.

I was thinking of something like that. You use the appendix (the language summary)? :eek: I was thinking of removing it (I didn't think it got much use).

I still haven't bothered to learn C :o

Haha!

By the way, that appendix is online at my website (classroomm.com).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

Cromulent
Jul 14, 2010, 11:57 PM
I was thinking of something like that. You use the appendix (the language summary)? :eek: I was thinking of removing it (I didn't think it got much use).

The language reference is the best bit of a programming book. Its highly frustrating to have to read through a section of text just to find out one little thing.

Probably why I love the O'reilly pocket guides so much.

MorphingDragon
Jul 15, 2010, 04:26 AM

I use it for the little things like PreProc Macros and Obj-C Directives.

Which is why a cheat sheet would be good for me. One side with often used Obj-C/C, pre-processor Syntax, the other side with the often used methods you like to dump randomly in chapters.

---

Was the "Haha!" a disappointed haha?

firewood
Jul 15, 2010, 01:01 PM

Where do I start?

Is there an easy way, faster than many years of medical school? I hear surgeons make lots of money, so I am down to try as hard as I can. Can I practice on you?

Where do I start?

At least, that's how all these requests appear to me...

:mad:

dejo
Jul 15, 2010, 01:17 PM
At least, that's how all these requests appear to me...
I hear what you're sayin'. The other one that I hear a lot is: "I am trying to solve world peace. I am new to international politics. Can you give me a solution?"

skochan
Jul 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
The language reference is the best bit of a programming book. Its highly frustrating to have to read through a section of text just to find out one little thing.

Probably why I love the O'reilly pocket guides so much.

I use it for the little things like PreProc Macros and Obj-C Directives.

Which is why a cheat sheet would be good for me. One side with often used Obj-C/C, pre-processor Syntax, the other side with the often used methods you like to dump randomly in chapters.

Hmm, I have always included language summaries as a reference in my C, shell, and Objective-C books. Funny things is that I never get any sort of comments or acknowledgements about them, so I've come to assume they're not used or viewed as important by the users (they're typically not an insignificant amount of work to create---for example, there is not other Objective-C language summary that I'm aware of).

Many years ago I had done 8-1/2 x 11" plastic cheat sheets for Shell and C programming.

Let me ask your opinions: Would having it online (as it exists now) or even as a (free) iPhone app or ePub doc work as a quick reference or would you still like to see it physically in the back of the book?

Cheers,

Steve

Heimlich
Jul 24, 2010, 04:05 AM
Let me ask your opinions: Would having it online (as it exists now) or even as a (free) iPhone app or ePub doc work as a quick reference or would you still like to see it physically in the back of the book?

An iPhone app would be great. Would also be a great way to tell people about the book. You can include it in the description of the app.

Having a language reference or cheat-sheet at the back of the book would be nice too. I feel like it would somehow maintain the integrity of a physical book.
(something about the convergence of digital online content and physical books; what makes a physical book special; strengths and weaknesses of both forms)

The months ahead will bring a tornado of change to books as we know it. We have iBooks, Google Editions, Color E-Ink, more advanced e-readers, and they're starting to play videos and stuff. So I think that's something to keep an eye out for.

Metal Dice
Jul 24, 2010, 08:57 PM
An iPhone app would be great. Would also be a great way to tell people about the book. You can include it in the description of the app.

Exactly. An iPhone app crammed with all that information would be amazing.

ranguvar
Jul 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
Yay, a ton more useless trash apps coming soon! :rolleyes:

skochan
Jul 26, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yay, a ton more useless trash apps coming soon! :rolleyes:

I assume you didn't mean by your post that a quick reference guide to Objective-C would be a "useless trash app?

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

ranguvar
Jul 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
I assume you didn't mean by your post that a quick reference guide to Objective-C would be a "useless trash app?

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

Haha, I sure didn't, I meant of course the OP's yet-to-be-made apps :D
I actually really like your book and a quick reference guide would definitely be one of the apps that deserve to be in the App Store!

TheWatchfulOne
Jul 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hmm, I have always included language summaries as a reference in my C, shell, and Objective-C books. Funny things is that I never get any sort of comments or acknowledgements about them, so I've come to assume they're not used or viewed as important by the users (they're typically not an insignificant amount of work to create---for example, there is not other Objective-C language summary that I'm aware of).

Many years ago I had done 8-1/2 x 11" plastic cheat sheets for Shell and C programming.

Cheers,

Steve

If you make an app like that available, I would certainly have it on my phone and would likely use it quite a bit. Having it physically in the book would be great too!:cool:

BTW I'm working in the 2nd printing of your book right now (in chapter 15.) Even though it's an older edition and some of the methods in it have since been deprecated, it's really helping me a lot to grasp Objective-C. Thank you for making it available!

skochan
Jul 27, 2010, 10:10 PM
Was the "Haha!" a disappointed haha?

No, the Haha was just showing how far you can get without learning C. As you know I don't recommend learning C first before Objective-C.

Cheers,

Steve