Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I have the 21.5" iMac and it's hooked up to a 23" Dell IPS panel through DVI. The Dell display is the U2311H for those who want to know.

I have the Dell configured in a vertical orientation as the 2nd display but here's what I've noticed.

If I grab a window and drag it around on my iMac screen, it moves very smoothly and I can drag it pretty fast with no jumpiness in the flow.

If I then take that same window and drag it over to the Dell, the window will move in short jumps instead of smoothly unless I move the window rather slowly.

I'm not display guru so I'm wondering what might be causing this. Is it something with the specs of the Dell display I should have been looking for and missed?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It may have something to do with the GPU you have (9400M or ATI xxxx), as that Dell has 1920 x 1080 pixel and the 9400M might be a bit weak powering two monitors of that size.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I have the ATI card, I think it's like 4870 or something like that.

I would have assumed that any drop in FPS performance would have been seen on both displays though...not just the secondary. I could be wrong though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.