Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Ok so i own a 27" i7 iMac. I currently use a Hanns.G 28" LCD monitor that i used for my PC but not use it as a 2nd display for the iMac.

Everything works great actually but the displays colors are just to different and tend to annoy me.

The iMac is Clear, bright and Crisp, The Hanns.G is matt finish screen and though its bright, its a bit washed out looking and no matter how hard i try to adjust the Hanns.G in the monitor settings i cannot get the colors to look the same as the iMac.

So i was thinking about getting a 24" ACD ( found one used w 2yr apple care, local for 600 ) and was curious will the display ( color, brightness and crispness ) look the same as the iMacs display?

or should i just stick with the Hanns.G and try to ignore the color difference?

I actually PREFER a glossy screen also over a matt finish.

Also, I prefer LED over the LCD ( takes awhile for the LCD to warm up, So if i come out of sleep or standby, the Hanns.G looks really nasty until it warms up )

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 60

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Have you tried calibrating it? If you really want perfection, grab another 27" iMac, they go for as low as 1449$ in refurb store. BTW, both are LCDs, the Apple just has LED backlight while the other has likely CCFL ;)

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Have you tried calibrating it? If you really want perfection, grab another 27" iMac, they go for as low as 1449$ in refurb store. BTW, both are LCDs, the Apple just has LED backlight while the other has likely CCFL ;)

Ya know, i was REALLY thinking about just getting a C2D refurb from Apple and using that...My only problem with that is, Wouldnt that be a waste using it just as a monitor? What else/How could i use the 2nd iMac? What other purpose could i use it for? Using it just as a monitor would be a complete waste to be honest. I was trying to think of others ways i could use it.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Pickup a cheap hardware color calibrator like a Huey pro and then calibrate both monitors. That should make them display the same colors and alleviate your annoyance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Ya know, i was REALLY thinking about just getting a C2D refurb from Apple and using that...My only problem with that is, Wouldnt that be a waste using it just as a monitor? What else/How could i use the 2nd iMac? What other purpose could i use it for? Using it just as a monitor would be a complete waste to be honest. I was trying to think of others ways i could use it.

I'm not sure but I think it can run at the background so if you encode videos for example, you can let it to do it while using its display and notice no hit in performance on the main computer. It would also be a nice file server and secondary computer etc. Plus it has higher resale value. It was just an idea. Would be so cool to have dual 27"s, the 1449$ isn't wasted IMO

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
HMMM, How could i find out if i could use the 2nd iMac in the background while also using its display on my other iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.