PDA

View Full Version : Pismo fan dead? Something else?

rootsmaneuver
Jul 9, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have an old, trusty 500 MHz Pismo. She's not my #1 ride anymore but the other day I was taking her for a spin down memory lane and noticed she was getting HOT. Much hotter than I ever remembered. So I popped off the keyboard to have a look inside and noticed the exhaust fan wasn't spinning. For as hot as she was, I wasn't surprised.

Now I'm considering replacing the fan but wanted to ask this knowledgable community for any suggestions first.

I could just by the replacement fan and swap it out but I am wondering if there is anything else that could be malfunctioning and causing the fan to NOT spin up - anything I can check before forking out the cash.

Is there a way to see if the temp sensor is working? Could it be the LB? Can I test the electrical supply to the fan by using a multimeter? If so what setting/voltage, etc should I use to read that? And lastly, is there more than one fan?

I'm hoping someone in this forum has had a similar situation, reads this and can comment on it. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

max••
Jul 9, 2010, 03:07 PM
relay any voltage if the fan is not spinning but i believe it should be about 5v

rootsmaneuver
Jul 9, 2010, 03:34 PM
relay any voltage if the fan is not spinning but i believe it should be about 5v

Yep, it reads anywhere from about 3v to 4.5v at any given time. Its appears to have power so I'm gonna buy a fan. Thanks a ton!
:):apple:

max••
Jul 9, 2010, 03:53 PM
Yep, it reads anywhere from about 3v to 4.5v at any given time. Its appears to have power so I'm gonna buy a fan. Thanks a ton!
:):apple:

yup that sounds about right