PDA

View Full Version : Filthy Powermac G5 2.3dp swap into Powermac G5 1.8gdp case?

VanneDC
Jul 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hi, just upgraded my oldish Powermac G5 1.8ghz DP with an Ebay dual 2.3ghz PCI-X (both agp machines) and its just absoloutely filthy and has a few marks on the case.

Iam thinking of swapping cases. Are both PSU's the same? are the mobo stand-offs the same? The 2.3ghz box has 8 ram slots whereas the 1.8ghz box only has 4.

will it all fit in nicely? or not worth doing? eitherway i gotta strip down the 2.3ghz box as its just filth inside..

any good strip down guides that you know off? anything to watch out for?

cheers
:apple:

Hrududu
Jul 9, 2010, 10:12 PM
Its going to be a lot of work. You'd need to switch the PSU over too. Those aren't hard to do though.

666sheep
Jul 10, 2010, 01:11 AM
You'll need 9" hex wrench, 2.5 mm diameter (to unscrew CPUs) and Philips screwdriver. Switching over PSUs is not necessary (both computers are using that same PSU IIRC - 450 or 600W - depending on manufacturing series) but to remove logic board you must take out PSU :).

If it's your first time, get yourself service manual for G5 DP or take a look on this site: http://g5.bhmm.net/
Do not damage CPU cover pin - small round plastic "thing" (see photos on site above).

It's not so hard to do, but for the first time it takes less than one hour, second time is much shorter ;)
Be careful to do not swap CPUs between sockets (upper/lower) and be gentle with mounting them back.

ReanimationLP
Jul 10, 2010, 01:16 AM
IIRC, the cases are different.

At least I remember seeing a ton of different part numbers depending on what revision.

666sheep
Jul 10, 2010, 01:21 AM
IIRC, the cases are different.

No, they aren't. I've swapped cases between various models of G5 with no probs. Only difference might be in PSU cover: DP models with single CPU cover have PSU cover with clips, single CPU and DP with two CPU covers have it without clips. Cases are identical.

VanneDC
Jul 10, 2010, 01:32 AM
Drak!!! (part numbers are different)

loos like the kid geting my old G5 is gonna be one hell of a lucky gnomer!

That erks me a bit as this 2.3dp case has quite a few marks on it.. I hate marks on my crap!!!

Awell at least i can test run it for a bit, hope she holds out.
Also, this 2.3ghz unit has a pioneer 109 burner in it (its what i have in my Win7 box) but i wasnt aware that that was an apple shipping drive?

and also it came with a 160gb drive, (not that that ***** me), but that obviously means its been swapped around as they came with 250gb drives.

Sooo cant believe how much damm dust is in this thing, how can some peeps let thier equipment get like that..... :(

Crappy Nvidia FX5200 with cruddy black heatsink... what a piece of crap card. And that card also never shipped with this box.... should have been ati 9600 or 9650.... trippy

also, just wondering how to find out what PSU i have in there, can i do that witout pulling it apart? id imagine its properly the 450w..

cheers

heh, just saw that last post.... ARE you SURE there the same cases????? i dont wanna stuff around only to find out iam shagged anyhows... :)

also, how the heck do i get that white plastic pin outa the heatsink cover? cos id imagine iam gonna need that again to stick it back together? any good ideas?

cheers

666sheep
Jul 10, 2010, 01:55 AM
Yes, i'm sure. Part numbers are dependent on manufacturing date and model (i think). My experience is from real life. I've done it many times. Only swap that I haven't done was DP into Dual Core case - never had no necessity.

About plastic pin: I'm always using flat, sharp blade - to lift up a center part of this clip a bit (if you'll look at pics from linked site, you'll see what I'm talkin about), then pull it up. Next, when you unhook lower part of CPU cover, you need to take out second part of plastic clip. I'm using needlenose pliers to squeeze and push it up. Regular pliers will do the job too.
In fact, removing this small pin this is most pissing out part of the whole job.

There is no way to determine which PSU you got, until you do not remove PSU cover.

VanneDC
Jul 10, 2010, 02:41 AM
okay, depending on how this test run goes, i may still change the boxes around.

Its been on all day, no dramas there at all, however ive installed Istat pro and it reports the CPU temps as 56 and 59 respectivly (Celcius) for A and B.

i have noticed that this box is quite a bit louder in regards to fan spool up and down than my 1.8DP box, are those temps normal? thats at idle.

running geek bench pushes that up to 69 and 70 degrees max.

should i be worried?

666sheep
Jul 10, 2010, 03:43 AM
Temps are in tolerance area IMO. Decent dust off could make them little lower. If you would do case swap, it's good idea to remove heatsinks from CPUs and apply new thermal paste. Clean old one with isopropanol (or other high % alcohol). I'd recommend to use high performance thermal compound, like Zalman ZM-STG2 or IC Diamond Carat 7 (this is one of the best). After required "heating" time it should lower temps by few degs.
2.3 are quite hot CPUs so don't expect it to be 10 degs cooler after that, but about 5 degs lower is what you can get. It's always better than nothing ;)
Avoid Arctic Silver 5 - it's high performance paste, but about half a year it losing its good thermal conductive abilities and temps could be even higher than before applying.

VanneDC
Jul 12, 2010, 11:33 PM
finally got around to docktoring the 2 macs. >;)
thanks for the reply Sheepy, just another question.

this 2.3ghz DP seems to take ages to boot up. I did some time checks and found:

from cold boot to initial grey screen with apple logo 31.00 secs
this is when the circle under the apple logo starts spinning 41.00 secs
and up to when the desktop pops up 59.00 secs.

does that sound normal? running 10.5.8

cheers
hardware diags pass everytime.

666sheep
Jul 13, 2010, 02:46 AM
See if your Startup Disk (in Sys Prefs) is set to 10.5.8 HDD. Second what could shorten boot time is PRAM reset. If none of above will help (do both), maybe it's HDD problem (just slow preformance or mechanically "tired").