Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
My USB cable for my iPod touch has been fraying on both ends for a very long time now and I think it will stop working eventually.

Does Apple replace these things for free (or at all)?

Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've has Apple replace about seven of them. Just show it to one of the sales people in the Apple Store and they'll ask you when you got it. Just make sure you say within the past two months or it'll be out of warranty.

In my opinion the dock cables aren't as great as they used to be. I think they went down hill around summer 2008.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Well, what if it came with the iPod? Bought the iPod late March.

I am NOT shelling out 20 dollars for a new wire. And I have to have an original wire because I am selling my Touch...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it came with the iPod and you tell them the real date of purchase they won't replace it. Yes it is unethical to lie about things like this, but saying it "came with my sister's iPod around the 22nd" usually works.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Like this:

Apple: When did you purchase it?

Me: About a month ago, probably less than that...

What if they ask for like, information ;) I am paranoid about these things ;P

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Like this:

Apple: When did you purchase it?

Me: About a month ago, probably less than that...

The above conversation is all that basically that happens. They'll then take it to the back to have it checked and most likely come back with a new one.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
In a box, or like, just a loose, unpackaged wire...

Do I need Genius appointment?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It comes in a little white plastic bag. It's the same thing as the boxed headphones, but no box. You do not need a Genius appointment. I just walk up to any Apple Sales Person and show them the fraying cord ends. It also helps if you act like your grandmother and not know anything about technology.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
LOL, like this?

Excuse me, my iPod wire is broken... Instead of the usual
excuse me, my USB syncing cable is fraying on the ends...

I could pull it off!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yep the broken iPod cable/wire is the way to go. It works better if you're a girl\woman, then you can act very clueless. Because everything *thinks* girls don't know anything about computers.

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Or if you have an Apple Product that still has warranty you could just go online to https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and fill it out. I have done this a number of times to get USB cables fixed and headphones fixed. They next day you a cable and you ship the old one back no questions asked. Considering I don't have an Apple Store nearby I can't just walk in.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Or if you have an Apple Product that still has warranty you could just go online to https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and fill it out. I have done this a number of times to get USB cables fixed and headphones fixed. They next day you a cable and you ship the old one back no questions asked. Considering I don't have an Apple Store nearby I can't just walk in.

I never knew this existed. Thanks! :D

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
jdusoccer12, what category best describes the USB cable fraying...

Attachments

• fsdf.png
    fsdf.png
    9 KB · Views: 12,402

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Sorry for double posting, but only use jdusoccer12's link if you DO NOT have an Apple Store nearby because it will temporary charge 20 dollars if you don't send it in by 10 ten days... bleh...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
if they don't take a visit to monoprice and pick up some sync cables there.
they have two lengths, a 2 foot and a six foot. Get at least one 2 foot, sometimes the devices time out with the longer cables. rarely but I have had it happen

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Sorry for double posting, but only use jdusoccer12's link if you DO NOT have an Apple Store nearby because it will temporary charge 20 dollars if you don't send it in by 10 ten days... bleh...

Ok, so the solution is not to avoid using the link, but rather to make sure you send the faulty cable back.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Just made my way to the local Apple Store...

They require the device to be there (so they can check if it is under warranty) and I didn't have my iPod touch with me.

Next time I'll go, I'll bring my iPod touch and they'll replace it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've never had a frayed iPod or iPhone cable.

Sounds like some people are pulling on the cable instead of pulling the plug area.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've never had a frayed iPod or iPhone cable.

Sounds like some people are pulling on the cable instead of pulling the plug area.

I am very careful with my cables. I have never pulled them out by the cable, always the plug. I think it has more to do with always being bent and the ambient temperature.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
And the bad quality ever since they started packing iPod's with the "slim" version. I like my Sister's cable better, her's has the buttons on the side with the better quality... :(

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
And the bad quality ever since they started packing iPod's with the "slim" version. I like my Sister's cable better, her's has the buttons on the side with the better quality... :(

...I have that cable with my 60Gb iPod photo and it won't work on my iPod Touch...made the mistake of brining it with me on a trip and got stuck with out my iPT...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.