Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8uoza4VAY&hd=1

Video I made to give perspective on WoW on the new Mac Mini with the 320M GPU. Overall it performs very well, playing on Ultra settings just fine for many things. You can easily knock the settings down a tad and play the game without any issues. Hope this helps someone, I know I spent tons of time looking for this information before making my purchase lol >.>

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Looks good, thanks for sharing. I kinda miss playing WOW, if it was cheaper and I didn't want to spend so much time on it I would start up again.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
I'm suprised to see how well WoW runs, I think you can get a lot more of a performance boost just by turning down shadows, it really is a FPS killer in that game.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I'm suprised to see how well WoW runs, I think you can get a lot more of a performance boost just by turning down shadows, it really is a FPS killer in that game.

Most definitely, just a few tweaks and you can have it running smooth in any zone/situation.

LOLaMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I don't know, man......looks kind of choppy to me. Not too bad standing around in Org, but not very smooth while flying around in Crystalsong Forest. I'd hate to see what your fps looks like during an AoE pull in ICC25, or even just hanging around Dalaran during prime time. Maybe another video will surprise me, but if this was meant to show how the mini can handle WoW like a champ, I'm not seeing it. But, that's just me.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
I don't know, man......looks kind of choppy to me. Not too bad standing around in Org, but not very smooth while flying around in Crystalsong Forest. I'd hate to see what your fps looks like during an AoE pull in ICC25, or even just hanging around Dalaran during prime time. Maybe another video will surprise me, but if this was meant to show how the mini can handle WoW like a champ, I'm not seeing it. But, that's just me.

He had everything maxed though and he was using a in game recorder. THere are other youtube videos of people running WoW on the new mini with some settings turned down and its very smooth, even in 40+ man bgs.

willabbotsm

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
You could probably get twice that fps on a cheaper Windows machine.

I don't think Mac was meant for games... :eek:

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010

Dalaran on major servers is choppy (if you read the video description box I explained this). Crystalsong Forest was very smooth flying through, any perceived choppyness is from the recording itself.

This wasn't intended to show the Mini as a gaming machine or that is was "a champ" at WoW, just trying to provide perspective to those who had similar questions and concerns about it like I had before making a purchase. Many people only play WoW and nothing else, so this is a big selling point/concern for many people.

The conclusion is easy to see, that the Mini can play WoW just fine. The settings will vary by what you particularly do. I don't raid anymore so I cannot comment about ICC.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Did you ever find out how well TF2 runs on the new mac mini?

I've been running it fine on Medium settings (its suggested settings) just fine. Haven't had a chance to try recording any game play to show, cause I really just don't enjoy the game lol.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
I've been running it fine on Medium settings (its suggested settings) just fine. Haven't had a chance to try recording any game play to show, cause I really just don't enjoy the game lol.
'

Awesome, I'm thinking of moving away from my hackintosh and getting a mini, and the only 2 PC games I play now are WoW and some TF2, and I'll be using it on a 1920X1200 monitor, and I prefer to play on native res.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
'

Awesome, I'm thinking of moving away from my hackintosh and getting a mini, and the only 2 PC games I play now are WoW and some TF2, and I'll be using it on a 1920X1200 monitor, and I prefer to play on native res.

You should be fine then, considering I am playing on 1920x1080 widescreen. As long as you don't have to have every bell and whistle feature maxed the machine is great so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.