Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Right then

The movies i'am using are in widescreen mkv
what is the best way to convert these? I've tried Mpeg steamclip (crap) and many others all with no luck. :(

why hasn't Final cut been updated to the 21st century to inc mkv?

also why does my video convert to 4:3 instead of widescreen?

Thanks for any help

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wow. .mkv is only a container, most probably it uses the H264 codec, which is NOT (repeat: NOT) meant for editing.

Use MKVTools to mux the .mkv to .mp4 (no transcoding involved), then use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to the appropriate format, .mov with Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes (overkill for the source you have).

And what do you mean with "also why does my video convert to 4:3 instead of widescreen?", if you wrote this "I've tried Mpeg steamclip (crap) and many others all with no luck" before?

What other (non-crappy) application have you used then to have the 4:3/16:9 problem?

And please read the manual, so you get at least some understanding of supported formats and why it is that way.
You can even use MRoogle to find dozens of threads about this (why can't I use my heavily encoded downloaded video in FCP, ...).

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)

To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.