PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to get a dc2.1 pmg5?

PowerGamerX
Jul 10, 2010, 04:21 PM
Okay so I have the option to get this powermac g5 for only 200 dollars or so but is it worth it, yeah I could resell it to make money but I wouldn't want too and considering apple will probably pull complete support away from ppc next year, I want to know if I should get it.

max••
Jul 10, 2010, 04:27 PM
seems like a good deal, i would get it

leekohler
Jul 10, 2010, 04:36 PM
Okay so I have the option to get this powermac g5 for only 200 dollars or so but is it worth it, yeah I could resell it to make money but I wouldn't want too and considering apple will probably pull complete support away from ppc next year, I want to know if I should get it.

For $200? Hell yes. You can use it for storage when it's outlived it's usefulness. I plan on keeping mine for the same purposes once it's no longer useful as my main computer. I doubt that will be for a while though. The dual core is an excellent computer.

PowerGamerX
Jul 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
Eh can't hurt i guess. I have the money. So, how will it handle World of Warcraft? Is there an affordable graphics upgrade you all could recommend?

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 10, 2010, 06:34 PM
$200 is a pretty good deal on the DC G5s. What are the rest of the specs? It probably has the Nvidia 6600LE graphics which is pretty decent. It should handle WoW alright.

Hrududu
Jul 10, 2010, 06:52 PM
I've been using my dual 2.0GHz G5 with 2GB of RAM for the last week while my MacBook Pro has been getting a new logicboard put in. Everyday tasks don't feel any slower on this thing than they do on the MBP. True story. Its a great machine, and I'm going to have to disagree on complete PPC support being dropped. I think we'll see support for 10.5 and universal apps continue for a few more years. Lots of Intel based Macs were shipped with 10.4 and 10.5 so I doubt Apple will drop them too terribly soon.