Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Sent e-mails to that website and an E-Bay seller asking, but something tells me if I get a reply it'll just be a guess.

teezee09

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Why wouldn't it? It's just something that fits into the headphone jack and the headphone jacks have not changed from the 3G to 3Gs to iPhone4. I see they offer a different one for the original iPhone, which makes sense since it had a recessed port. I bet that would be long enough to work with my bumper.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I think eBay version and radtech is the same. I had it on my 3GS and it worked perfect. only thing with the iPhone 4 is the straight angle and this is made for the slant of the 3G and 3GS. I'm hoping someone makes one for the iPhone 4. I also had the 30pin dock plug and that worked great also. I was amazed in how much dust/lint was in my original iPhone when I was cleaning it before selling. it was a whole ball full of dust. This plug can really help for someone who wants to keep the ports clean.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Why wouldn't it? It's just something that fits into the headphone jack and the headphone jacks have not changed from the 3G to 3Gs to iPhone4. I see they offer a different one for the original iPhone, which makes sense since it had a recessed port. I bet that would be long enough to work with my bumper.

I really don't know - the fact that they made a separate version for the original iPhone, and the fact that the 3G/3GS version appears slightly tapered to accomodate the curved body makes me think that it may look funny on the iPhone 4.

Just curious if anyone has actually tried putting it in the iPhone 4 (pics would be nice).

Mattman504

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Update

Hi guys,

I've lurked this site for years but for some reason never registered. Since this thread comes up via google when people (as I) search for this item, I thought I should post my findings... incase anyone like me is still out there looking.

First of all, there has been some confusion on this site and others regarding dummy plugs for the iphone 4. I contacted RadTech.us directly and they offer everything that you need (safely). Most importantly they have the headphone port dummy, the website says it is for the 3g/3gs, and according to most peoples post it should work on the iPhone 4 (though concerns are regarding the bevel design of the 3g/3gs). I was unsure about this, since I was ordering online, I emailed them for clarification. Here is the initial response.

"Hello Matthew,

The 13-597 audio jack Portectorz were engineered with the 3G and 3Gs in mind, but they are also compatible with the iPhone 4. The units are beveled to fit the profile of the 3G/3Gs backplate, but this will not cause any compatibility issues with the iPhone 4 - the small amount that does protrude actually helps when removing the plug from the audio jack. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Chris Billington"

I followed up by asking if they plan on making an iPhone 4 specific version and if they have an ETA for it. See response:

"Hello Matthew,

I haven't received an ETA from our engineer regarding a revision, but he may do one at a later date - it will likely depend on how the current model sells.

Best Regards,

Chris Billington"

Even though these may not sit perfectly flush, they should definitely do the trick. Since, I have a bad habit of picking/biting my nails I figured this may be a good thing to aid in removing the dummy plug. I ordered a few, and hopefully I will remember to come back here and post some pictures for you guys. If I forget just email me a reminder :D.

On a separate note, though related, I'm sure most people looking for these are going for the "naked" look. I didn't want to buy a case on my phone but still wanted to protect it. I chose to get a film (to stay mildly on topic, just go search the forum for film reviews) and cover everything except the glass. To complete my goal, I was also on the search for a dummy plug for the bottom 30-pin dock connector plug. I have seen most people on the site recommend online/ebay/radtech for these lil guys. The problem I encountered, was either EXTREME shipping charges (such as $5 shipping for a .99 product) or EXTREME shipping times (3 weeks). Anyway as you can see from the link I just posted, radioshack carries these bad boys for $1.99 for 2 of em. These are as flush as possible, and I'm very happy with these.

Anyway, I hope that info may help people that are searching the interwebs like I was.

Mattman504

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
UPDATE:

I'm very happy with how things turned out. This headphone jack combined with the 30-pin plug, and the Best Ever Case film; is awesome. The head phone jack is clearly made for the 3g/3gs but seems to work fine. the best way to describe it, is it doesnt sit flush. luckily it doesnt stick out much though. basically one side sites flush, how you would expect; and the other side slants into the whole a lil bit. it doesnt seem to go leave any space so it still provides security... but basically you can only pinch it from one side to remove the plug. hopefully that helps.

overall these work perfectly, but i will happily buy one specifically made for the 4g
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.