PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Christmas PC sales starting to sag

MacBytes
Nov 6, 2004, 06:59 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Expectations for Christmas PC sales starting to sag (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041106195900)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 7, 2004, 09:19 AM
For Apple CR's placing the G5 iMac on the cover, and their write up will help Apple. And the iPod helps bring brand awareness of Apple.

Blue Velvet
Nov 7, 2004, 09:53 AM
Most people don't want to upgrade their PC until they are compelled to do so... if the old one breaks, becomes too slow for their needs etc.

Since the majority of users are mostly interested in word-processing, email, web etc why the need to rush out and buy the latest thing?

For the average Windows user, the hoo-ha involved in transfering their data & settings over to the new one makes it a decision not to be taken lightly.

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 7, 2004, 10:14 AM
Most people don't want to upgrade their PC until they are compelled to do so... if the old one breaks, becomes too slow for their needs etc.

Since the majority of users are mostly interested in word-processing, email, web etc why the need to rush out and buy the latest thing?

For the average Windows user, the hoo-ha involved in transfering their data & settings over to the new one makes it a decision not to be taken lightly.

But this is the reason that Apple needs to push their computers just a little more. Get more of the press to talk about the "safety" of Mac's verses the PC

Blue Velvet
Nov 7, 2004, 10:23 AM
From my limited experience, the number 1 issue for Windows users if contemplating a Mac is compatibility of files and software.

Can I use Word? Can I send emails?
Will other people be able to open my files?
Can I use the web?

No amount of iLife bells and whistles will persuade them to part with their money till those questions are satisfied and solutions demonstrated. This is where the Apple Stores come in...

First, a Mac is expensive and second, you're asking them to go out and buy new versions (if they exist) of their favourite applications. It's not something that a lot of people want to think about...

wdlove
Nov 7, 2004, 02:59 PM
I think that this Christmas season should be bright for Apple. The introduction of the iMac G5 and the iPod Photo has got them a lot of press. Now with the numerous Apple Stores it gets the attention of passerby's.

macnulty
Nov 7, 2004, 07:26 PM
Apple should have a "Windows" layer just as they have a "Classic" layer to address the issue of compatibility. That would be killer.

bryanc
Nov 8, 2004, 10:37 AM
Apple should have a "Windows" layer just as they have a "Classic" layer to address the issue of compatibility. That would be killer.

That is a Good Idea(TM). Apple would have to re-invent VPC (which I have no doubt that they could do better), and either become a licensed (OEM) distributor of Windows (might not go over well with Steve) or simply tell customers to obtain install disks for the OS of their choice (they could certainly act as a distributor of various flavours of linux, but why would you run linux in an emulator when you can run a native version?).

Cheers

Blue Velvet
Nov 8, 2004, 10:45 AM
That is a Good Idea(TM). Apple would have to re-invent VPC (which I have no doubt that they could do better), and either become a licensed (OEM) distributor of Windows (might not go over well with Steve) or simply tell customers to obtain install disks for the OS of their choice (they could certainly act as a distributor of various flavours of linux, but why would you run linux in an emulator when you can run a native version?).

Cheers

Then watch Microsoft dump Office for Mac -- a key inducement for many switchers.