PDA

View Full Version : How do I speed up my PowerPc G5 2.0?

macusersince200
Jul 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, I think I have the right forum.

I have a PowerPC with a G5 processor. (It is a Dual 2 GHZ processor).

I also have 3.5 GB of PC3200 Ram DDR.

The hard drive is a Maxtor 6Y250M0 SATA 7200 250GB.

I have read this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=314837

My problem is that my computer is not running as fast as I would like it to be. After reading that above thread, I found out I can't upgrade my 2.0GHZ G5 processors to 2.4GHZ G5 processors without upgrading the motherboard and just about everything else.

Anyway, I use this computer as a secondary machine for work purposes when I'm not at my home office, where I have a more optimized machine.

I have several Safari tabs open, a Firefox Window open and I use Quicktime to make minor edits (In and Out points) on videos. It takes forever to export the video to a Broadband-Medium quicktime movie.

Anyway, is there anything anyone would suggest I do to increase the speed of my computer?

Thanks.

leekohler
Jul 11, 2010, 10:43 AM
Add more RAM. Get it up to 8 gigs at least.

Hrududu
Jul 11, 2010, 11:24 AM
I would recommend one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284).

macusersince200
Jul 11, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hi .. thank you both for your replies.

So basically ... (1) I need more RAM and (2) I need a faster, newer hard drive?

I've only been using Apple since 2008 (best switch on any item I have made in my life, by the way). And this is coming from someone who has used Windows based PCs for decades.

At home, I have the new i5 Intel 27" with 8GB of Ram. As someone who is impatient, I think I even need more speed on that machine! Point being, I don't think I'll ever be happy with this machine. However, like i said, it is a secondary computer.

But again .. a faster HD and more RAM should fix things?

How about how fast it takes to export .mov files in Quicktime? Isn't that based on your processor speed or does RAM matter to for that?

Thanks, again.

max••
Jul 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
you should put more ram in there and if you want to go really fancy you could put an ssd in there

CubeHacker
Jul 11, 2010, 09:23 PM
I can't believe people are recommending that he get more RAM to decrease his encode times!

Bottom line, is that there is little you can do to speed up your export video projects. A new hard drive might help but only slightly. Chances are your G5 is spending all its time encoding the video into another format, which is 100% CPU bound. More RAM will not help, and neither will another hard drive. Only a newer CPU will help, and you cannot upgrade the CPU in your G5 machine.

If you ARE running low on RAM, for example, excessive pageouts while working or multitasking, then more RAM might help you. But since you say you already have 3.5gb, I highly doubt this is the case unless you frequently have 10-20 apps open at once, or are working with very large files that like to sit in RAM.