PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Terrorist Attacks Worry US

MacBytes
Nov 7, 2004, 12:20 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Cyber Terrorist Attacks Worry US (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041107012054)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

MacDawg
Nov 7, 2004, 07:00 AM
Assuming that Windows is more vulnerable than Unix/Linux, how many of the US critical systems are using Windows v. Unix/Linux?

Stock market/commerce
Defense
Power grids (since it was mentioned prominently)
Communications
eBay :p

Can this threat be addressed (not eliminated) in some ways by a migration to Unix/Linux?

macridah
Nov 7, 2004, 08:20 AM
First easy step to battle cyber attacks ... use macs. Simple, yet so genius. ;)

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 7, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah, but as the marketshare of Mac's goes up, so does the threat of virus attacks and the such.

Nermal
Nov 7, 2004, 03:27 PM
Yes, but you do need to remember that Mac OS is more secure than Windows, so it's harder to make the virii in the first place.

MacDawg
Nov 7, 2004, 03:34 PM
I am not so secure in OSX that I believe that it is impervious to attacks. Hackers will be hackers, and will always find a way. Yes, if everyone used a Mac intially security would be better, but the hackers would eventually overtake the platform like Windows.

sjk
Nov 8, 2004, 04:01 PM
I am not so secure in OSX that I believe that it is impervious to attacks.Ever since opener became popular news a few weeks ago I've noticed significantly more ssh break-in attempts on my home network.

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2004, 06:57 PM
Interesting. Lets hope it isn't a sign of things to come.
The less pub about Macs and viruses the better.

gwangung
Nov 8, 2004, 08:55 PM
I am not so secure in OSX that I believe that it is impervious to attacks. Hackers will be hackers, and will always find a way. Yes, if everyone used a Mac intially security would be better, but the hackers would eventually overtake the platform like Windows.

Yeah, but I think you're ignoring the statement...OSX is more secure than Windows. That doesn't mean totally impervious...it will mean that worms and virii are possible, but they'll be harder to make...and I bet that recovery will be more robust.

MacDawg
Nov 9, 2004, 06:04 AM
Yeah, but I think you're ignoring the statement...OSX is more secure than Windows. That doesn't mean totally impervious...it will mean that worms and virii are possible, but they'll be harder to make...and I bet that recovery will be more robust.

I wasn't ignoring the statement. We all agree that OSX is much more secure than Windows (heck, an unlocked car at the mall is more secure than Windows). All I meant was that I don't think it will be immune forever. It isn't impervious by virtue of being OSX. If all of the hackers who put their efforts toward Windows took aim at OSX we would have some issues. Sure, I believe recovery would be quicker and damage less, but "he that thinks he stands" should take heed "lest he fall".