PDA

View Full Version : Cloning OS in Leopard to new HDD on PM G5

Davy.Shalom
Jul 11, 2010, 02:03 PM
How should I go about cloning my noisy Maxtor 500 GB 7200 RPM to a newer quieter Western Digital 500 GB 7200 RPM?

All thoughts are quite welcome, thanks!!

iBookG4user
Jul 11, 2010, 02:12 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) has worked great for me in the past :)

Davy.Shalom
Jul 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) has worked great for me in the past :)

I agree, in the past using Tiger on my PowerBook G4 CCC has been very reliable. However:

Stupid question 1:
Will my B drive in there be bootable after using CCC if I put it in the primary slot in the PM G5, or will it not. CCC gives me some warning about PPC Macs and apple partition map.

iBookG4user
Jul 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
I agree, in the past using Tiger on my PowerBook G4 CCC has been very reliable. However:

Stupid question 1:
Will my B drive in there be bootable after using CCC if I put it in the primary slot in the PM G5, or will it not. CCC gives me some warning about PPC Macs and apple partition map.

Alright, what you'll want to do is connect the hard drive that you're going to be cloning the data on to. Then go to Disk Utility and select the new hard drive, select "Partition". Set Volume Scheme to 1 Partition and then select "Options..." under the flyout menu select Apple Partition Map and select ok. Then click "Apply". That will allow your Mac to boot from the hard drive. And then after Disk Utility is done, go to CCC and clone the disk over to it.

Davy.Shalom
Jul 11, 2010, 02:31 PM
Alright, what you'll want to do is connect the hard drive that you're going to be cloning the data on to. Then go to Disk Utility and select the new hard drive, select "Partition". Set Volume Scheme to 1 Partition and then select "Options..." under the flyout menu select Apple Partition Map and select ok. Then click "Apply". That will allow your Mac to boot from the hard drive. And then after Disk Utility is done, go to CCC and clone the disk over to it.

Thanks so much!! I didn't even know Disk Utility had this feature...haha I guess we learn something new every day.

iBookG4user
Jul 11, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much!! I didn't even know Disk Utility had this feature...haha I guess we learn something new every day.

No problem, glad to help :)