Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Just brought home a Mac mini 2010 for evaluation. I run a dual-DVI monitor setup at home, and I've verified separately that each monitor will work fine off a 2009 MBP and the mini-DP DVI adaptor.

However, the Mac mini 2010 does not appear to support DVI output from Displayport using the mini-DP to DVI adaptor.

It does support DVI from the HDMI port using the included adaptor, but I have two DVI monitors to support.

Can anyone else confirm my observation that the Mac mini 2010 does not appear to support DVI from the mini-DP to DVI adaptor?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Isn't this one of the items sold along with the Mini in the Apple store?:

Use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to connect to a 30-inch display, such as a 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, and enjoy the ultimate widescreen canvas with a resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels.

It is $99 though. Is this what you need?

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Isn't this one of the items sold along with the Mini in the Apple store?:

It is $99 though. Is this what you need?

No, the $29 mini dp to dvi adapter should work fine. Both monitors work fine using the same adapter connected to my 2009 MBP. If i connect the adapter to the 2010 mac mini, nothing. Reboot, nothing.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
No, the $29 mini dp to dvi adapter should work fine. Both monitors work fine using the same adapter connected to my 2009 MBP. If i connect the adapter to the 2010 mac mini, nothing. Reboot, nothing.

Strange, the same adapter ($29) is sold as an accessory while ordering the Mac Mini online. Maybe a hardware defect? Make a Genius bar appointment and ask them.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

That sucks :(. It should work because there is not a lot of difference between your two systems in reality. Could there be something wrong with your Mini's mini display port? Do you know someone with a display that has a display port so that you could try a direct connection?

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
That sucks :(. It should work because there is not a lot of difference between your two systems in reality. Could there be something wrong with your Mini's mini display port? Do you know someone with a display that has a display port so that you could try a direct connection?

I brought the mini to the office where I have an LED Cinema Display. mini-DP to the LED Cinema Display works fine.

I now notice that if you look closely at the Apple product page for the Mac mini, the only mini-DP adapter they reference is the VGA adapter. They make no mention of the mini-DP to DVI adapter, whereas it is explicitly mentioned on the product page for the Macbook Pro.

Hopefully this is just some kind of glitch. No time this weekend for a Genius bar appointment but I'll try Apple support online.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I brought the mini to the office where I have an LED Cinema Display. mini-DP to the LED Cinema Display works fine.

I now notice that if you look closely at the Apple product page for the Mac mini, the only mini-DP adapter they reference is the VGA adapter. They make no mention of the mini-DP to DVI adapter, whereas it is explicitly mentioned on the product page for the Macbook Pro.

Hopefully this is just some kind of glitch. No time this weekend for a Genius bar appointment but I'll try Apple support online.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find out.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

They let you add the mini-DP to DVI adapter when you order the Mac Mini. There's probably something wrong with the DP port.

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
They let you add the mini-DP to DVI adapter when you order the Mac Mini. There's probably something wrong with the DP port.

The mini-DP port is working fine as I type this, connected to a LED Cinema Display. Doesn't rule out the possibility that it won't pass through a DVI signal, though.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Just brought home a Mac mini 2010 for evaluation. I run a dual-DVI monitor setup at home, and I've verified separately that each monitor will work fine off a 2009 MBP and the mini-DP DVI adaptor.

However, the Mac mini 2010 does not appear to support DVI output from Displayport using the mini-DP to DVI adaptor.

It does support DVI from the HDMI port using the included adaptor, but I have two DVI monitors to support.

Can anyone else confirm my observation that the Mac mini 2010 does not appear to support DVI from the mini-DP to DVI adaptor?

According to this Apple document, :apple: Mac mini (Mid 2010): External ports and connectors, DVI via mini-DisplayPort is supported:

Connect a Mini DisplayPort display such as the Apple LED Cinema Display or a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or Dual-Link adapter, sold separately. The Mac mini (Mid 2010) supports up to 2560 x 1600 pixels resolution and extended desktop and video mirroring across both ports

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
According to this Apple document, :apple: Mac mini (Mid 2010): External ports and connectors, DVI via mini-DisplayPort is supported:

Connect a Mini DisplayPort display such as the Apple LED Cinema Display or a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or Dual-Link adapter, sold separately. The Mac mini (Mid 2010) supports up to 2560 x 1600 pixels resolution and extended desktop and video mirroring across both ports

Great, so it *should* work, according to that document.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Great, so it *should* work, according to that document.

Seems over the weeks since the new mini's release, I've read a couple of occurrences with the power cable needing to be pushed rather hard to get it in sufficiently that it didn't fall out. I've also seem to remember reading of a another occurrence along these lines with either the HDMI or the mini-DisplayPort (can't remember which), could it be possible that the mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter isn't getting plugged in sufficiently far to make complete contact rendering it non-functional?

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Seems over the weeks since the new mini's release, I've read a couple of occurrences with the power cable needing to be pushed rather hard to get it in sufficiently that it didn't fall out. I've also seem to remember reading of a another occurrence along these lines with either the HDMI or the mini-DisplayPort (can't remember which), could it be possible that the mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter isn't getting plugged in sufficiently far to make complete contact rendering it non-functional?

That's possible, but when I've tested it, I've had it plugged it as firmly as physically possible. Internally it might still not be making sufficient contact. I am trying to locate a third DVI monitor to try, but it sounds like I might need to also try another mini-DP/DVI adapter.

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
I tested with a third, newer dvi monitor. This time, the adapter worked. I will retest with my older monitors at home. Maybe the mini has realized it should send signal through the DP since i hooked it up to the cinema display for testing.

macros73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
All is well. Brought the mini back home, hooked it up to both monitors, and it "just worked." Only change: I hooked the mini up to a LED Cinema Display at the office, via mini-DP. Then I brought it home and connected it to a DVI display via mini-DP/DVI adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.