Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey all,

I am receiving my iPhone sometime this week. In preparation, I downloaded and bought a number of Apps to my laptop. However, when the iPhone comes, I would like to use my Desktop PC for my iPhone handling.

Is there any way to get the Apps I downloaded to one computer onto a different computer, and then install them to the iPhone from there, or am I stuck with the computer I originally downloaded the Apps on?

Thanks!

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Hey all,

I am receiving my iPhone sometime this week. In preparation, I downloaded and bought a number of Apps to my laptop. However, when the iPhone comes, I would like to use my Desktop PC for my iPhone handling.

Is there any way to get the Apps I downloaded to one computer onto a different computer, and then install them to the iPhone from there, or am I stuck with the computer I originally downloaded the Apps on?

Thanks!

Yup. When you sync your iPhone for the first time, select the: "Manage iPhone manually option." It will allow you to sync your iPhone from multiple libraries, but I THINK they have to all share the same iTunes account.

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
short of downloading them 1 at a time with the same account on the other computer, i dont think so. I've been trying to find a way to DL all the apps i've ever dl'd at once, never have though.

But just make sure you activate your itunes account on your desktop and redownload them thru there. All the paid ones will be free if you bought them once before.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Hey all,

Thanks!

Other then redownloading using the same account as was used on the laptop, don't think so.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Other then redownloading using the same account as was used on the laptop, don't think so.

I think this is the only way to do it. Just log in to your second computer using the same iTunes account and re-download the apps. Even if they're paid apps, they'll let you download them again for free. I did this today so that my wife could use apps that I'd previously purchased.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
You should be able to just copy all the .ipa files from the laptop onto the desktop. They will be located in your iTunes library folder under mobile applications. Just use the same iTunes account on the desktop that you used on the laptop and it will work just fine.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
You should be able to just copy all the .ipa files from the laptop onto the desktop. They will be located in your iTunes library folder under mobile applications. Just use the same iTunes account on the desktop that you used on the laptop and it will work just fine.

Found this solution. Instead of copying the files to an iTunes folder you need to drag and drop the icons for the ipa files onto iTunes or the dock icon. This will add it to your iTunes library.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I think this is the only way to do it. Just log in to your second computer using the same iTunes account and re-download the apps.

So, in the iTunes store, I can just purchase the App again, as long as I am logged into the same account, and not get charged for it? I want to make sure before I burn $50 through trial and error.

It still says the price of the App in the iTunes store, and gives me the 'are you sure you want to buy' warning when I click on it.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
So, in the iTunes store, I can just purchase the App again, as long as I am logged into the same account, and not get charged for it? I want to make sure before I burn $50 through trial and error.

It still says the price of the App in the iTunes store, and gives me the 'are you sure you want to buy' warning when I click on it.

Yes, you can also view what you have already purchased thorough your purchase history under your account info.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

Did you read the link I posted. If both your computers are on the same network, wired or wireless. You simply open itunes on each computer and you will see a "Shared" column with the library from the other computers on the same network. Click on the library of the computer that has the apps your looking for, then click on the Apps tab. From there you can drag the apps, music, movies, whatever to the library of the computer you working on. Its really that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.