Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samrulestothema

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Hiya,

I just have bought a second hand macbook (white one with leopard)

I want to change the home from his current name of JJlaw02 to my name, as is on my current iMac. However I cannot do this, he has not provided me with his password, but has instead deleted his account, having just one user, called User. I am since confused as to why I even need a password, if I currently do not need one to start it up.

Yeah, so anyway! Any help is appreciated.

If I cannot, can I use the OSX dvds that came with my iMac to do a fresh install on the macbook??? Or is it a violation of EULA?

Cheers guys!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Restore disks that come with your Mac are model specific, so iMac disks won't work on a MacBook.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Cheers!!

However i cannot enable root user... as he/she has passworded her computer. They are not reply to my emails, very frustrating!!

If it's your computer, use the restore discs that came with it to reinstall. If you don't have the discs (you should always insist on these when buying a used Mac), call Apple for replacement disks or buy a retail copy of Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.