PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple make the Touch thicker?

sportsfrk214
Jul 11, 2010, 09:43 PM
Before you just jump in and say no, think about it. Apple has constantly been making the iPod thinner and thinner over the years, and that has extended to the Touch. But at what point is it too thin?

The current iPod Touch is the thinnest iPod ever of the major models (iPod Classic, iPod Touch). But it looks like the technology is finally catching up. There are features, primarily a camera, that don't fit inside the Touch's current form factor (and people might say the 3.2 MP camera does fit, but I can't see Apple releasing anything less than 5....It's 5 or bust in my mind....You can't justify 3.2 when the iPhone has 5....and "It's too thin" doesn't fly for consumers).

If there are going to be cameras in the next iPod, it's going to need to be thicker. So will Steve do it? I honestly don't think people care that the iPod is so thin, I think they'd buy it even if it was as thick as the iPhone (which it would never be, but just a point).

I could see Steve using his Reality Distortion Field to make the iPod sound super thin, while ignoring the fact that it's thicker than the previous model. Anyone think it will happen?

yoyo5280
Jul 11, 2010, 09:45 PM
The iPhone 3G was thicker than the iPhone 1... but only at its thickest point.

Thats why the 3G was curved, to create the allusion of being thinner.

Omi

alust2013
Jul 11, 2010, 09:47 PM
Honestly, I hope so. I love the feel of my first gen, and the second/third are just too thin for me to hold on to comfortably, and I don't even have big hands.

liamkp
Jul 11, 2010, 09:51 PM
Honestly, I hope so. I love the feel of my first gen, and the second/third are just too thin for me to hold on to comfortably, and I don't even have big hands.

My hands are huge :-/ I think they'll make it the same size as the iPhone 4 so we'll have cases to have when it releases.

tadad1
Jul 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
Actually at 8mm the 1st gen touch was 0.5mm thinner than the current design. I don't think the next one will be thinner but if it gets squared off like the iPhone 4.0 and manages a camera etc the hype will be "We added all these extra features and still managed to keep it just 8.5mm thin."

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
They'll add more features and make it just a tiny bit thicker.

Xavier
Jul 11, 2010, 10:27 PM

Agreed. Completely.

PeterQVenkman
Jul 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
I hope to God they just make an iPod touch with the form factor of the iphone 4 and that gorgeous camera.

TheIntruder
Jul 12, 2010, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't object to a thicker form if that meant a larger battery that improved life during surfing and gaming.

And I, too, find mine more comfortable to hold when it's inside its case.

DraziGuy
Jul 12, 2010, 01:22 AM
I concur. Give it the iPhone 4's styling and camera and it's a no brainer for me. Even if it was slightly thicker, it still fits in my pocket just fine.

KameronBriggs
Jul 12, 2010, 02:07 AM

Same here. I had a first gen, but I sold it when I got my first iPhone. It was amazing, but I don't like the feel of the newer ones.

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 09:23 AM
I wouldnt know if i would prefer the feel of the 1st gen, well, because I've never "handled" one. I dont really mind the feel of the 2nd/3rd gen. I really want the iPhone 4 design, so we can have cases, and it should be cheaper because all the parts dont have to be so small which is more expensive than large. It wont have all the cellular parts, GPS, etc.

SlovakApple
Jul 12, 2010, 10:14 AM
I like the design of the 3rd more than the design of the 1st, but would really appreciate the design of the iPhone 4 - something new. Of course if they put camera in it, it has to be thicker.

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 10:17 AM
I like the design of the 3rd more than the design of the 1st, but would really appreciate the design of the iPhone 4 - something new. Of course if they put camera in it, it has to be thicker.

Hmmmmmm... Not really, but it most likely will be, the iPhone 4 design would be nice so we have some more cases.

Biker
Jul 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
Im for the ipad design, that wouldnt be bad too?

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 10:23 AM
Im for the ipad design, that wouldnt be bad too?

I WANT MORE CASES!!! ;)

leomac08
Jul 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
Yes

androiphone
Jul 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
I do not think they will make it the same size as the iphone they will try to make it similar to how it is now. they defo not just use the same parts as the iphone.

as for cases I hate them, naked beauty all the way, I especially dont want them to make it fat for the sake of some cases

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 01:23 PM
I do not think they will make it the same size as the iphone they will try to make it similar to how it is now. they defo not just use the same parts as the iphone.

as for cases I hate them, naked beauty all the way, I especially dont want them to make it fat for the sake of some cases

ok..... Uhhmmmm... Some people like cases so that theyre $200/$300/$400 investment doesnt break.

androiphone
Jul 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
ok..... Uhhmmmm... Some people like cases so that theyre $200/$300/$400 investment doesnt break.

they rarely stop it from breaking just prevent the back getting all scratched up (unless a piece of dirt makes its way under), but horses for courses I'm on the side of nakedness :)

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
they rarely stop it from breaking just prevent the back getting all scratched up (unless a piece of dirt makes its way under), but horses for courses I'm on the side of nakedness :)

It might just make the difference!

Zay1993
Jul 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
I wouldnt know if i would prefer the feel of the 1st gen, well, because I've never "handled" one. I dont really mind the feel of the 2nd/3rd gen. I really want the iPhone 4 design, so we can have cases, and it should be cheaper because all the parts dont have to be so small which is more expensive than large. It wont have all the cellular parts, GPS, etc.

Hmm so a new generation of iPod touches with considerable advances in features, and it'll be cheaper than the current generation? Sorry I just don't see that happening. Even if only one upgrade from the iPhone 4 made it into the next Gen touches, such as the new display, how would they be able to make it cheaper for more? Sorry it just doesn't make any sense at all. If you can't afford a base 299$ 4th generation than get a job or start doing a LOT of chores. Not trying to start another price war but I wanted to point that out.

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hmm so a new generation of iPod touches with considerable advances in features, and it'll be cheaper than the current generation? Sorry I just don't see that happening. Even if only one upgrade from the iPhone 4 made it into the next Gen touches, such as the new display, how would they be able to make it cheaper for more? Sorry it just doesn't make any sense at all. If you can't afford a base 299$ 4th generation than get a job or start doing a LOT of chores. Not trying to start another price war but I wanted to point that out.

I didnt mean cheaper than the 3rd gen, i meant cheaper in general.

Oh, and thanks for making me feel terrible about my life. :o

Zay1993
Jul 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
I didnt mean cheaper than the 3rd gen, i meant cheaper in general.

Oh, and thanks for making me feel terrible about my life. :o

I meant cheaper than current 3rd gen prices which is most likely the prices the 4th gen will adopt when they are released. Even if it did get cheaper than 299$ it would only go down slightly. How would a 20$ difference matter to much?

Not sure if that last part is a joke but working for things you want makes it so much better when you can buy it with your own hard earned money.

iMac0765
Jul 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
Thicker? This is Apple were talking about! HELL NO.

Unless they make the new design more beveled than the current one... That will really throw people off... :cool:

liamkp
Jul 12, 2010, 03:48 PM
I meant cheaper than current 3rd gen prices which is most likely the prices the 4th gen will adopt when they are released. Even if it did get cheaper than 299$ it would only go down slightly. How would a 20$ difference matter to much?

Not sure if that last part is a joke but working for things you want makes it so much better when you can buy it with your own hard earned money.

More accesories. I wouldnt mind $20 off.

It was, sure. I could buy one for $299 if i wanted to. Im sorry for prefering a cheaper option.

Aero26
Jul 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
I hope to God they just make an iPod touch with the form factor of the iphone 4 and that gorgeous camera.
qft.

happy21
Jul 12, 2010, 08:49 PM
i want some of what youre smoking. this is apple, not bootleg apple.

liamkp
Jul 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
i want some of what youre smoking. this is apple, not bootleg apple.

:rolleyes:

So what do you think :apple: wont do?

Mac7
Jul 13, 2010, 10:08 AM
I will take some added thickness if it included a camera

liamkp
Jul 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
I will take some added thickness if it included a camera

Obviously :rolleyes:, i dont really think anybody would mind i f they made it thicker, most actually want it to be.

Slix
Jul 13, 2010, 11:41 AM
Thicker? This is Apple were talking about! HELL NO.

Unless they make the new design more beveled than the current one... That will really throw people off... :cool:

The 4th Gen iPod Classic was bigger than the 3rd Gen. They've done it before, to add new features (in that case a color display).

I think they should do it, especially to add a camera (or 2) and other features.

liamkp
Jul 13, 2010, 11:43 AM
The 4th Gen iPod Classic was bigger than the 3rd Gen. They've done it before, to add new features (in that case a color display).

I think they should do it, especially to add a camera (or 2) and other features.
Yep, i wouldnt mind some extra thickness.

Peterson8765
Jul 13, 2010, 05:15 PM
Oh boy, if they made the new Touch just like the iPhone 2G, I would be in heaven. I love the more thicker and aluminum design. But I doubt Apple will.

liamkp
Jul 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
Oh boy, if they made the new Touch just like the iPhone 2G, I would be in heaven. I love the more thicker and aluminum design. But I doubt Apple will.
Apple will most likely make it as thin as possible while being cost efficient.

Peterson8765
Jul 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
Apple will most likely make it as thin as possible while being cost efficient.

Yeah, the iPod Touch 2G and 3G are actually 0.5" thicker than the original 1G, but it looks thinner because of it's rounded design which I have came to like, but I think it is time for Apple to make it semi squarer to look somewhat like the iPhone 4. The iPhone 3G was actually a tad thicker and wider than the iPhone 2G. Who knows what'l happen.

liamkp
Jul 14, 2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the iPod Touch 2G and 3G are actually 0.5" thicker than the original 1G, but it looks thinner because of it's rounded design which I have came to like, but I think it is time for Apple to make it semi squarer to look somewhat like the iPhone 4. The iPhone 3G was actually a tad thicker and wider than the iPhone 2G. Who knows what'l happen.
Im pretty sure everybody thats going to buy a case (including me) would like for the iPod Touch 4G to be same size as the iPhone 4. But unfortunately i dont think Apple will do it because its thicker than needed, but they might because they increased the size of 1st-2nd gen. It will obviously be somewhat thicker, because of all the extra stuff they are most likely going to put in it.

Peterson8765
Jul 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
Im pretty sure everybody thats going to buy a case (including me) would like for the iPod Touch 4G to be same size as the iPhone 4. But unfortunately i dont think Apple will do it because its thicker than needed, but they might because they increased the size of 1st-2nd gen. It will obviously be somewhat thicker, because of all the extra stuff they are most likely going to put in it.

Yeah, buying a case for any Apple Mobile Device is just Common Sense if you don't want to scratch the heck out of it. It will probably be 0.5" thicker or so to accomadate a back camera and maybe a very slightly bigger battery. I just like the feeling of the iPhone 2G because it feels Amazing.

liamkp
Jul 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, buying a case for any Apple Mobile Device is just Common Sense if you don't want to scratch the heck out of it. It will probably be 0.5" thicker or so to accomadate a back camera and maybe a very slightly bigger battery. I just like the feeling of the iPhone 2G because it feels Amazing.
I would LOVE some of the cool iPhone 4 cases that are already released or about to be.

Do you really think all the case will do is help against scratches and not drop damage? If so i think ill just get a BSE for $7.99+S&H and not spend $25 for a good case.