Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I'm looking to buy the ultrasharp U2311H, I've seen that you can rotate the screen 90 degrees (would be perfect for coding/reading). How does this feature of the display work with the mac? If I physically rotate the screen would the mac recognize the new position or how do you configure it for it to display everything the correct way?

thanks

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
The rotation is done in the OS, in the display settings for the external monitor. I used the u2311h with rotation, so I can verify that it works just fine.

falk182

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Bump

I just set up my u2311h with my 2010 macbook, and I tried to change the rotation settings - but the "horizontal" and "vertical" options for the display settings are grayed out. Has anyone got the same problem? My graphics card settings say that rotation is supported.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I just set up my u2311h with my 2010 macbook, and I tried to change the rotation settings - but the "horizontal" and "vertical" options for the display settings are grayed out. Has anyone got the same problem? My graphics card settings say that rotation is supported.

"Horizontal"? "Vertical"?

You just use Displays in System Preferences

21m6adt.png

falk182

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Thank you, it worked! I had been using the menu buttons on the physical display rather than system preferences on the mac. :)

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The physical 90 degree physical rotating of the monitor screen is called pivoting. Rotation refers to the changed orientation of the displayed data. Normally, when a monitor is pivoted, it communicates with the video card via EDID (extended display identification data) to inform the video of the new resolution and rotation. For instance, if a 1920x1080 display is pivoted, the video card would be told to rotate the displayed data 90 degrees and change the resolution to 1080x1920. I don't know how this works in Macs, but in Windows PCs, the only action the user takes is to physically pivot the monitor, the rest is automatic.

Benway

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Rotation / Pivot problem on Macbook

Hello.
I have got a Dell Ultrasharp U2410 which I am using as an external display for my macbook.
When I "rotate" the display in system preferences --> displays , as well as physically pivot the screen, the resulting image displayed only takes up about 1/3rd of the screen, in the centre, with two big black bands [which are unusable] on the top and bottom.

Can anybody tell me why this is?

Ps. I'm running latest Mountain Lion 10.8.2 , on a late 2011 macbook pro.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.