PDA

View Full Version : iPad Camera Connection Kit still out of Stock

chas0001
Jul 12, 2010, 05:00 AM
Any ideas why the Camera connection Kit is still not available? You would have though that Apple would have got their act together by now.

I ordered one on the Spanish Apple Store on 26th June and the estimated delivery date is the 17th August. Ridiculous. I wanted to take it on my holiday to Alaska the end of this month.

scruch
Jul 12, 2010, 12:12 PM
It is 3 weeks that I go up and down to any apple store in the silicon valley.. no one have a camera kit since.. since.. maybe since ever. C'mon I really need one.
But the situation is even worse (if you not consider the central San Francisco , and the Santa Clara one.. ) they even not have any iPad protection case.

If you try to ask they just respond you "Sold Out" .. I've bought my iPad in the San Mateo apple store and for the protection case I went to the San Francisco store, because all types of cases were sold out.

if someone know a place in the peninsula were they have camera-kits plz let me know =)

foiden
Jul 12, 2010, 02:31 PM
Well, Apple has a lot of stocking problems to get things out. People want iPhones, they want iPads, they want Accessories.

In terms of what seems to be the priority. They put main hardware sales above all else. Ok. That's fair. I can see the idea of priority for getting the hardware into everybody's hands above all else. That's a smart business decision.

Then there are iPhone Accessories and the iPad cases. Definitely a strong 2nd in line. They are struggling to get them in stores, but they seem to make regular shipments of them. (Maybe not in your color, but options are arriving in stores and timely) Then there's the super *back at the end of the line* priority of the iPad Camera Connector Kits. Either the demand must be astounding, or they just aren't stepping up any production on them.

I'm guessing for every iPad sold, 4+ Camera Connector Kits are being sold. That's my only guess as to why they take an unprecedented 2 months to get to people.

scruch
Jul 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well, Apple has a lot of stocking problems to get things out. People want iPhones, they want iPads, they want Accessories.

In terms of what seems to be the priority. They put main hardware sales above all else. Ok. That's fair. I can see the idea of priority for getting the hardware into everybody's hands above all else. That's a smart business decision.

Then there are iPhone Accessories and the iPad cases. Definitely a strong 2nd in line. They are struggling to get them in stores, but they seem to make regular shipments of them. (Maybe not in your color, but options are arriving in stores and timely) Then there's the super *back at the end of the line* priority of the iPad Camera Connector Kits. Either the demand must be astounding, or they just aren't stepping up any production on them.

I'm guessing for every iPad sold, 4+ Camera Connector Kits are being sold. That's my only guess as to why they take an unprecedented 2 months to get to people.

excuse me Foiden , but I really don't agree with your projections.
I guess is more logically to think that every iPad sold, 1/2 or 1/3 Camera Kits are being sold (and that's an optimistic forecast). And same thing with the apple iPad case.

I don't agree with you also on the Apple priorities lines: if you are an Apple staff, and you are telling me that is in this way OK ! , ...but if you are only guessing... it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's clear that apple is facing a real problem to respond to the products request world wide, but I don't think that the camera-kits come from the same production facilities of the iPads. I'm in the US for work , and am looking for a camera kit since a month.. but nothing. I mean a month!!!! It's just a simply USB<> SD plastic thing....they need to bring this stuff also in the stores. I remember years ago in Europe macbooks was never available during the launch dates... but now?! the italy Apple store is full of iPad cases and iPads, here in the silicon valley I need to sign on a list to have my iPad , and to have a case i need to go in San Francisco... i mean , the iPad was not launched yesterday!!!! now is time also for accessories.

troubleonline
Jul 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Yikes UK store has ships in 4-6 weeks - guess I better order now for my hols in 7 weeks!!:eek:

melman101
Jul 12, 2010, 03:56 PM
I ordered mine June 27th ships August 10th :-(

troubleonline
Jul 12, 2010, 04:05 PM
Are Apple taking payment for the camera kits when you order or when they are about to ship?

bassanoclapper
Jul 12, 2010, 04:55 PM
Are Apple taking payment for the camera kits when you order or when they are about to ship?

If it's the same as their hardware, just before it ships

Mr. Biggles
Jul 12, 2010, 05:17 PM
It is sad. It took mine 4 weeks from order to ship notification. Ordered 5/24 and shipped 6/17. I think at the time I ordered, it was a 3 to 5 week wait.

IrishVixen
Jul 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Ordered June 10th, shipped July 10th. At the time of the order, it was showing 4-6 weeks. It's been sitting in Hong Kong for a couple of days now and has an estimated arrival date of the 15th.

They've been available on ebay for immediate shipment for between $60-70 USD. If we'd be traveling this month, I would've gone that route, but since time wasn't a real factor, I opted to order directly from Apple and wait. Some folks have had success by calling their local Apple store daily after deliveries are unpacked to see if any have arrived, so that's always an option if you have a store in your area.

foiden
Jul 12, 2010, 08:39 PM
excuse me Foiden , but I really don't agree with your projections.
I guess is more logically to think that every iPad sold, 1/2 or 1/3 Camera Kits are being sold (and that's an optimistic forecast). And same thing with the apple iPad case.

Don't take me seriously on that. No really, some of my sarcasm really didn't translate well for me to receive all of this in response. The truth of the matter is that I can't come up with a good reason why the hold up is easily the greatest on the CCK. If it's not a priority thing, and it's not something ridiculous as selling a 3 to 1 ratio of CCK to iPads, I just have to shrug my shoulders.

And believe me, I've been hitting the stores for one of those things since the Camera Kit was supposedly launched. Got nothing of it. After my first month of no luck, I decided to order mid-June. The wait was already into August. I still try to contact the stores, but nothing on that.

I don't want to give the e-bayers the pleasure of my extra money. People want in on any possible legal extortion racket they can get their hands on, and I'd rather miss out than support them. So I'll make due without it, for my vacation. I'll have it, for my next one.

macpluslaptop
Jul 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
I mentioned more than a month ago that an Apple reseller of good repute had told me that Apple had pulled the CCK and was tweaking it because of its USB capabilities (that weren't intended to be used for anything other than the CCK). Who knows? That's as good an explanation as any...

scruch
Jul 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
I don't want to give the e-bayers the pleasure of my extra money. People want in on any possible legal extortion racket they can get their hands on, and I'd rather miss out than support them. So I'll make due without it, for my vacation. I'll have it, for my next one.

:D:D me too !!!!!!!! c'mon apple!!

chas0001
Jul 13, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well I gave in and went the ebay route. Cost $58! The only reason I succumbed is that I can off load photos from my camera when on vacation. Don't really like taking more than one memory card as I will no doubt loose one.

Good little earner selling those on ebay. I wonder where they got them from :eek:

Shinigami301
Jul 13, 2010, 03:47 AM
I mentioned more than a month ago that an Apple reseller of good repute had told me that Apple had pulled the CCK and was tweaking it because of its USB capabilities (that weren't intended to be used for anything other than the CCK). Who knows? That's as good an explanation as any...

No it isn't. It's a false rumor. Newly delivered kits function exactly the same as ones from the initial batch. Verified with five kits in my company, latest delivered today.

jonallan
Jul 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
The Keystone (Indianapolis) store had at least 15 in stock. Just picked up one today.

foiden
Jul 14, 2010, 02:14 PM
Call me the unluckiest person in the universe for getting this Kit. Tomorrow, I go on vacation, so I call today to see if they had the kit in stock (already had one on order with an August Ship date though I ordered early june). Yes, they got it in stock. So I told him if they can hold one for an hour. They said, it should be definitely here then. So I drive all the way from my place (1/2 drive), but by the time I get there, they sold them all out. So I just wasted the gas because there's no store closer to me than that.

What sucks is that I bet that there's people literally waiting in bushes to spring out and buy the kits like crazy.

In the back of my mind, it's saying, "Ebayers should die. You never had any intention to use those things."

Still, I can't compete with that. So the moral of the story is to seriously DEMAND they hold you one if they come in. Because demanding a closer apple store is probably ridiculous. If all these people don't work, how do they afford jumping at Apple stores to buy this at all times? It's also a shame that one store was the ONLY store in Maryland to get them in, in like ever.

If you have one, consider yourself lucky. I'd sooner get my hands on plutonium than one of those things.

iTouch.lover22
Jul 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
I walked into my local Apple Store today in Australia for a quick look around, and to my surprise there were 3 camera connection kits hanging with the accessories. I pounced on it, and bought it :) And I can confirm that nothing has changed too, I can still use the USB connector with a USB. Dunno, why they had them in stock, but I'm thankful :)

Jul 15, 2010, 07:46 AM
Picked on up on eBay.

chas0001
Jul 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
I did not really have a choice but to go the ebay route as I needed it soon. Unfortunately there are no Apple Stores in Spain, apart from the online one, and resellers don't seem to get the stock of 'newish' items for months.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 15, 2010, 10:39 AM
I need to order one....

OK, i just got in line. They said they only do a $1 pre-auth charge and I can deal with that this week. I swear, if this divorce mess isn't over soon i'm going to scream.

portishead
Jul 15, 2010, 12:49 PM
I did not really have a choice but to go the ebay route as I needed it soon. Unfortunately there are no Apple Stores in Spain, apart from the online one, and resellers don't seem to get the stock of 'newish' items for months.

I'll be in Alicante next month, I can try to pick one up for you if you want. Just got one at Manhattan Beach Apple store

TraceyS/FL
Jul 16, 2010, 01:23 PM
I need to order one....

OK, i just got in line. They said they only do a $1 pre-auth charge and I can deal with that this week. I swear, if this divorce mess isn't over soon i'm going to scream.

They authorized not only the $1, but another $1 AND the full amount.

Great. I'm screwed..... thanks "Peter" for lying and didn't i just see Steve say, "We care about all our customers."

HA. Add this to the list of my issues..... then i just got passed around to iPhone sales and someone else before someone would take my call....

ETA: I'm having sooo much fun on hold with Apple, maybe i should call on my TimeCapsule next. UGH.

ETA2: Kudos to Beatrice and Alisha for working to get the pre-auth dropped for me! They have to fax something to the bank, but they showed me someone at Apple does care still!!!

Jul 16, 2010, 02:19 PM
Funny thing is the SD car reader is picky will not do micro SD cards and some othe regular SD cards pops up this device is not working. Yada yada yada....

Google it many are having the same problem.

OverSpun
Jul 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yea, I need one of those too.

iTouch.lover22
Jul 17, 2010, 05:24 AM
I just realised that my camera uses an XD card, not an SD card. Oh well, I mainly bought it for the USB connector :p Perhaps I should sell just the SD card connector for a reasonable price since everyone is wanting one?

mckvakk
Jul 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
I was originally planning on buying one of these when i'm going to new york in august, but since there's obviously difficult to get in store i decided to buy on eBay. 39.99$ including shipping for just the usb-part. It's the one i need, but still extremely expensive.

Ebayers must earn a lot on these things..

davids8477
Jul 19, 2010, 06:37 AM
Mine was due to ship August 4th.

Just received an email that it shipped yesterday - July 18th. Due for delivery on July 22nd!

:)

dalvin200
Jul 19, 2010, 06:52 AM
might be a silly question, but does this work with the apple case on?

whocaresit
Jul 19, 2010, 07:51 AM
might be a silly question, but does this work with the apple case on?

Can you plug in the USB cable with the case on? :p

prot0type
Jul 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
On a whim, I checked Bestbuy.com to see if by chance a local b&m may have it, lo and behold one of the locations near me do!

Picked up one for myself and a friend. So definitely check bestbuy.com. and hit up the store locator for stock information, seems some stores are getting them but in very low quanities.

MigsVuitton
Jul 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
I also just got one from BestBuy

iThinman
Jul 19, 2010, 05:12 PM
Plenty in stock right now at Santa Clara valley fair store

dalvin200
Jul 20, 2010, 03:26 AM
Ordered from Apple UK Online yesterday... says I will receive in early september :eek:!!!

Just to throw this out there, what do you think about this as an alternative?

http://www.ipadhut.co.uk/iPad%20Camera%20Connection%20Kit

I'm not sure if:

1) Website is legit
2) Product is a cheapo chinese knockoff

Opinions please?

OverSpun
Jul 20, 2010, 03:31 AM
anyone know if this camera connection it will work on an iphone too? I'd be excited if it works on both. But, I doubt its working on both.

prot0type
Jul 20, 2010, 06:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I remember a few threads regarding that question, however I'm not sure if that includes a jail broken iPhone.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
Shipping on the US Store has improved to 2-3 weeks.

However, my ship date is still showing August 26. I guess they can't really update that huh? It would truly stink if the people that ordered today got it 3 weeks before me! :rolleyes:

Hoping for a shipping notice this week or next... but will be happy as long as it turns out to NOT be the 26th.

BMP84
Jul 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Shipping on the US Store has improved to 2-3 weeks.

However, my ship date is still showing August 26. I guess they can't really update that huh? It would truly stink if the people that ordered today got it 3 weeks before me! :rolleyes:

Hoping for a shipping notice this week or next... but will be happy as long as it turns out to NOT be the 26th.

Ugh, in the same boat as you except I have a Sept 2nd delivery date. And ships by Aug 27th....

I'm hoping for a shipping notice too.

foiden
Jul 20, 2010, 02:35 PM
Mine was due to ship August 4th.

Just received an email that it shipped yesterday - July 18th. Due for delivery on July 22nd!

:)

I got the same thing. I'm really shocked that they accelerated the shipment on it. Should have it in 2 days. That's a lot better than the 2 month wait they told me I would have. It might be coming a week after my vacation started, but fortunately the iPhone 4 and my Camera had all the memory they needed to take all my pictures without even the need to swap out memory cards on the Camera. However, I sure as heck will bring it along to the botanical gardens shoot sessions. Being able to immediately view the stuff I took, on iPad's screen, is a fantastic idea. I already even have photo enhancement tools on the thing.

Daremo
Jul 20, 2010, 03:55 PM
anyone know if this camera connection it will work on an iphone too? I'd be excited if it works on both. But, I doubt its working on both.

No, it does not work on the iPhone. When i Unboxed my iPhone 4, this was one of the first things I tried to do.

Mac7
Jul 20, 2010, 03:59 PM
how good of a camera is it anyways?

scruch
Jul 20, 2010, 06:15 PM
BREAKING NEWS =)

Hillsdale Apple Store, have just received like 50-60 Camera Kits, I've bought mine too! , 29 dollars!!!!

It work smoothly, you can even connect it to your iPhone and shoot also while he is connected , the new image will appear after shooting directly on your ipad screen work very very nice!

I'm wondering if you can recharge the ipad with charger <plain usb cable> camera USB kit > ipad . I don't have an USB cable here right now , but I gonna try soon!

mvp2206
Jul 22, 2010, 03:55 AM
Ordered mine online on June 9th and FINALLY received an email yesterday saying it has been shipped and should arrive on 26th July!

About bloomin time!

chas0001
Jul 22, 2010, 04:00 AM
Well I received my connection kit in the post yesterday. Looking forward to offloading pictures from my camera on vacation next week. Always nice to have a backup.

igoggsy
Jul 22, 2010, 09:30 AM
for those in Toronto, i was at the eaton centre store this morning and they probably had about 40 of them on the shelf. apparently came in a couple days ago. i grabbed one.

jsimpson
Jul 22, 2010, 11:57 AM
I started asking or calling my local Apple store and within a week I got one. I just walked in and asked if they had any in the back that might not had been brought out and they had a couple dozen or so. Also it will work if you need to transfer photos from the iPhone to the iPad. (this might have already been mentioned but I thought I would throw it in)

TraceyS/FL
Jul 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
I started asking or calling my local Apple store and within a week I got one. I just walked in and asked if they had any in the back that might not had been brought out and they had a couple dozen or so. Also it will work if you need to transfer photos from the iPhone to the iPad. (this might have already been mentioned but I thought I would throw it in)

I could probably get one by now at one of the 3 Apple stores in the area, but i'm 60 miles away and well, delivery is easier!

dalvin200
Jul 23, 2010, 01:54 AM
got an email from apple to say my online order will now be shipping 8th august ... 3 weeks ahead of the scheduled shipping date!! (Y)

Jonmurgie
Jul 23, 2010, 05:02 AM
got an email from apple to say my online order will now be shipping 8th august ... 3 weeks ahead of the scheduled shipping date!! (Y)

Same here, though I got 2 emails... the first late afternoon saying it would be the 11th August, then one later in the evening saying it will be the 2nd!

I'm hoping for another soon that just says it's been dispatched ;)

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
Was in apple store this week and they had quiet a few of these in stock. Clerk said they had gotten them in that day and it was first supply they had ever gotten

TraceyS/FL
Jul 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Same here, though I got 2 emails... the first late afternoon saying it would be the 11th August, then one later in the evening saying it will be the 2nd!

Well, my US order is still showing the 26th of August for a ship with the Sept 1 arrival. No updates online or via email.... the current shipping window is still showing 2-3 weeks, so there is a chance it might ship by the end of next week. Unless they keep me at the back of the line because customer service mucked all around in the order....

Oh well, it will get here when it gets here!

foiden
Jul 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
Mine came in 2 days ago. Seems to work with everything I had. The supposedly unintended extra ability of the USB kit connector is still very much intact. The USB keyboard works and such, though I can't say it is that useful to me given I already have bluetooth keyboards that work. I don't have a USB headsets, so that might be of use in the future.

Still, it works with my camera cards, and that's the most important thing.
The iPhone 4 camera quality is pretty good for a camera phone. In good light, it's very good. However, it's ability of the flash is limited compared to regular cameras. It's more useful for taking pictures where a group of people are really in the dark. It doesn't do the dynamic dedicated camera stuff like being able to deal with shadows created by rear lighting and such.

I tend to use my DSLR anyway, for still shots when I do have the chance. The IPhone is mainly for when I don't have the other camera with me, or I want to take videos of 720p quality since my DSLR is only standard definition. (Still, my DSLR takes better audio given it has two built-in spacial microphones in it. The Canon model I use has a bit of a specialty there for stereo audio captures.)

roberthodgson
Jul 25, 2010, 05:19 AM
I picked up a camera kit at Apple Store in the Yorkdale Mall
they had over a 100 according to the sales guy but they were going fast
416 785 1776 give them a call first and get them to put one aside be for you head over

md63
Jul 25, 2010, 08:12 AM
I picked up the camera connection kit at an Apple Store in NJ yesterday. The had about 10 on display.

chas0001
Jul 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
Looks to me that the only people screwed when it comes to the camera Connection kit are those outside of the USA and probably the UK too.

There is just no availability other than on Ebay.

Let hope that the first Apple store in Spain opens soon!

brulafu
Jul 25, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm coming to NYC tomorrow, does anyone know if any of the stores have one. I don't want to take my MBP with me as this was the whole point of the iPad....

Failing that, anyone fancy lending a cheery Scottish guy one for 4 days in NYC ? :)

md63
Jul 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm coming to NYC tomorrow, does anyone know if any of the stores have one. I don't want to take my MBP with me as this was the whole point of the iPad....

Failing that, anyone fancy lending a cheery Scottish guy one for 4 days in NYC ? :)

I've been to the 5th avenue store numerous times during the past several weeks and never saw them. I picked up mine in NJ.

brulafu
Jul 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
I've been to the 5th avenue store numerous times during the past several weeks and never saw them. I picked up mine in NJ.

Cheers mate, I'll pop past and see what there is.

Time to google map the NJ one and see if i can do a fact finding tour which includes the NJ store, therefore telling the girlfriend were 'seeing the sights' on a day trip ;)

I'll keep you posted to how i get on !!

melman101
Jul 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
I ordered mine June 27th ships August 10th :-(

Finally got mine today!!!! It shipped July 27th from China. And I got it today, July 30th.

Can't wait to use it!!!

TraceyS/FL
Jul 30, 2010, 01:20 PM
Finally got mine today!!!! It shipped July 27th from China. And I got it today, July 30th.

Can't wait to use it!!!

Dang, i'm still 2 weeks behind you then.... my order was July 15.

Did your online info ever change from the originally quoted dates?

ob81
Jul 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
I just walked into the Apple store and bought 1 today. They had about 20 of them. Went at lunch time right around when they get shipments.

melman101
Jul 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
Dang, i'm still 2 weeks behind you then.... my order was July 15.

Did your online info ever change from the originally quoted dates?

No it did not.

Jonmurgie
Jul 30, 2010, 05:30 PM

Dispatched today apparently... just need to sort out an iPad now!!

Abyssgh0st
Jul 30, 2010, 11:44 PM
My Best Buy had four today. I bought all of them for forum members here and sold them at cost.

iFerd
Jul 31, 2010, 06:48 AM
The frenzy on eBay seems to have cooled. Latest lists of sold camera kits have gone for close to retail cost.

bassanoclapper
Jul 31, 2010, 11:00 AM
Looks to me that the only people screwed when it comes to the camera Connection kit are those outside of the USA and probably the UK too.

Ordered mine a week ago and was quoted 3 - 4 weeks for delivery. Got an email yesterday to say it was on it's way!
Was desperate to have it for the end of August as I'm travelling to Belgium for the Grand Prix

Maybe they've ramped up production

Hey Jude
Jul 31, 2010, 04:31 PM
Ordered mine a week ago and was quoted 3 - 4 weeks for delivery. Got an email yesterday to say it was on it's way!
Was desperate to have it for the end of August as I'm travelling to Belgium for the Grand Prix

Maybe they've ramped up production

WTH is going on with Apple? I ordered mine over six weeks ago, and online status still shows a ship date of August 6th.

This is so not fair; Apple's order fulfillment department is really screwed up.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 31, 2010, 04:41 PM
WTH is going on with Apple? I ordered mine over six weeks ago, and online status still shows a ship date of August 6th.

This is so not fair; Apple's order fulfillment department is really screwed up.

I'm assuming you are in the US?

The UK ones seem to be shipping faster than ours. But i would have thought you would have been in the batch that got theirs already given what has been posted.

I'd call!

jamesmay
Aug 3, 2010, 10:54 AM
Bluewater has about 10!

mKTank
Aug 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
Apple indeed seems to be finally catching up with demand. After months of searching, the local Apple store finally had a bunch in stock so I ran over there and grabbed two (second one for a friend.) If you haven't been so lucky getting one yet, I suggest you phone the local Apple store this week.

iFerd
Aug 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
At this moment the Apple Store on the web reports a 7-10 day shipping time. Much shorter than it has been.

Clix Pix
Aug 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
Walked into the Tysons Apple store yesterday for something else and was dumbfounded when I saw the Camera Connection Kit package hanging on the display shelves.....grabbed the thing before it could escape and quickly bought it, brought it home. It's neat, absolutely worth the wait!

jwilson25
Aug 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
If anyone is near the Columbia, MD store, I was their late last week and they had a ton of them in stock. I hadn't been able to find one around Northern Virgina, but had to go up that way for work, so I checked on a whim and got one. Love it so far :)

Built
Aug 7, 2010, 10:41 AM
Apple.com is shipping the camera connection kit far faster than stated on the website.

Just bought iPad day before yesterday (8/5). Purchased camera connection kit through Apple.com yesterday around noon (8/6).

The receipt said it would ship on Aug 20, with delivery around Aug 25.

Received notification last night that it has ALREADY shipped, with delivery around Aug 12. It's on its way from China...already.

Really fast service and for anybody on the fence, they are shipping fast.