Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Here is what could happen for a new iPod Shuffle that could come out in September when the Apple Event is held:

Here are a few things that could happen to the iPod Shuffle:

1. Completely same design, refreshed colors, lower prices. I think lowering the prices of the iPod Shuffle is a completely logical thing to do since other MP3 players like from SanDisk have double the capacity and are at least $20 less and have WAY more features. The new prices should be $49 for the 2GB and either $59 or $69 for the 4GB. Drop the Special Edition stainless steel that goes for $99

2. Slightly changed design, I don't know how they can make it any smaller or redesigned, because Apple ususally doesn't make things thicker or bigger. But who knows, Apple may surprise us, they usually do.

3. Added memory up to 8GB now, comes with 3.5mm adapter so you can use any headphones that you like, It is wrong for Apple not to include an adapter so you can use other headphones with the Shuffle, the Apple earbuds suck, and nobody likes them.

Well, post what you think the new Shuffle might have in store for us this September. Thanks :)

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
1. No design change. Special edition is now normal, with other colours following. 4GB and 8GB for 59 and 79 respectively.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
1. No design change. Special edition is now normal, with other colours following. 4GB and 8GB for 59 and 79 respectively.

Yeah, knowing Apple I think they're gonna drop the 2GB model. 2GB is soooo old. Refreshed colors too, since they did them with the 2G Shuffle.

Davieis

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne, AU
I have a pretty good feeling they'll be a design change to it. I work at an Apple reseller and we used to sell craploads of the older design (click-wheel style). The current model is liked by barely anybody...and we only have two in stock at any time because of their poor movement. This is the case for many other stores too so I think its very likely we'll see a change.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I have a pretty good feeling they'll be a design change to it. I work at an Apple reseller and we used to sell craploads of the older design (click-wheel style). The current model is liked by barely anybody...and we only have two in stock at any time because of their poor movement. This is the case for many other stores too so I think its very likely we'll see a change.
I think that Apple will need to do something right, like include a 3.5mm headphone adapter with controls to plug in any headphones, the rating on Amazon.com of the Shuffle is roughly 2 and a half stars, which is poor. Apple will need to do something right.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

Please God. I was thinking about this the other day. I wish they'd stick buttons on but worry Apple might see it as admitting failure/a step backwards so have my doubts. Tbh though an 8GB shuffle seems a bit overkill - it's hard enough to find anything on it as it is.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Please God. I was thinking about this the other day. I wish they'd stick buttons on but worry Apple might see it as admitting failure/a step backwards so have my doubts. Tbh though an 8GB shuffle seems a bit overkill - it's hard enough to find anything on it as it is.

If they stuck buttons on the new Shuffle, they would be small, but they would work.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010

Hopefully! 2. Generation shuffles get very good prices on ebay for a reason. They were great. No need to get smaller. Shifting controls to the headphones was the deal breaker.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've got a 2G Shuffle that I wouldn't trade for anything, that new one was horrible to use (I forget if the latest one is 3 or 4G).

I really they take a step forward and add buttons to it again. Theres not much else I'd want in a Shuffle. I don't want 8gb storage on something without a display. My iTunes library is 300gb yet I've never filled my 1gb Shuffle. It's already tiny, lightweight and has a great battery life.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I've got a 2G Shuffle that I wouldn't trade for anything, that new one was horrible to use (I forget if the latest one is 3 or 4G).

I really they take a step forward and add buttons to it again. Theres not much else I'd want in a Shuffle. I don't want 8gb storage on something without a display. My iTunes library is 300gb yet I've never filled my 1gb Shuffle. It's already tiny, lightweight and has a great battery life.

300GB? That's huge. I would prefer the 2G Shuffle over the 3G Shuffle any day at all. I wish they would just change the new Shuffle this September. It isn't very liked by consumers.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Hopefully! 2. Generation shuffles get very good prices on ebay for a reason. They were great. No need to get smaller. Shifting controls to the headphones was the deal breaker.

Yeah, I've seen them on Amazon and craigslist for more than they originally retailed for a year and a half ago. They were good products.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
300GB? That's huge. I would prefer the 2G Shuffle over the 3G Shuffle any day at all. I wish they would just change the new Shuffle this September. It isn't very liked by consumers.

Arguably most of that 300gb is video, but strictly music (no music videos, no podcasts) takes up 50gb.

For me the Shuffle is what I take on adventures, or places that my regular 5G iPod wouldn't survive so I don't fill it with everything I can. I usually spend 10 minutes before an outing selecting what I want on it for that day. I'll put a couple of hours worth of music on but I've never come close to filling its 1gb drive. Of course this is just my experience, I'd still take the smallest capacity option if I ever needed a new Shuffle.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Arguably most of that 300gb is video, but strictly music (no music videos, no podcasts) takes up 50gb.

For me the Shuffle is what I take on adventures, or places that my regular 5G iPod wouldn't survive so I don't fill it with everything I can. I usually spend 10 minutes before an outing selecting what I want on it for that day. I'll put a couple of hours worth of music on but I've never come close to filling its 1gb drive. Of course this is just my experience, I'd still take the smallest capacity option if I ever needed a new Shuffle.

Yeah, most people use the Shuffle a secondary iPod or a starter iPod. And now I don't think the Shuffle needs 8GB of storage. But the new Shuffle is just a disappointment in my eyes.

digifork

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
They have to do something. Almost everyone I know uses the shuffle to listen to music while exercising. The new shuffle is completely useless for exercising due to the location of the controls and hypersensitivity to sweat.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Apple should just drop the idea of the shuffle and offer essentially the 2G iPod nano (audio only), complete with click wheel interface and the 2G nano's LCD display, in a smaller form factor than the 2G nano (same width and thickness as the 2G nano but lower height). The price will be US$69.95 for the 4 GB version and US$89.95 for the 8 GB version, including the in-line player controls on the provided headphones.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I like the stick shuffle. Having no controls works for me. I use it outside working on the yard. Mowing, it can't be beat. The only issue is occasionally with gloves on it's hard to use the ear bud remote... Other than that, it's a pretty solid little device. I've heard sales people at the local Worst Try rip it up and down but heck, I can't read the Nano display in bright sun easily, and I really don't need to look at it anyway. I just need, while on my mower, jump ahead, jump back, and pause. I get all that and more from the shuffle.

I even used it skiing last season and it worked extremely well. It was small and didn't bulge out anywhere so it was easy to keep it warm and dry.

When I hear people rip the shuffle, what I hear is people whining about not having a screen and buttons. So what. If you are skiing/snow boarding, who could use the damn buttons anyway? And news to the world, the screens freeze when they get too cold. I love the shuffle. It does what it was described as doing: shuffles music for 'the rest of us' that often don't need a screen and buttons...

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Apple will probably never put a screen on a Shuffle unless its like the Sansa Clip, a 1 inch OLED screen which I doubt. Future will come until everything is touch screen.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
When I hear people rip the shuffle, what I hear is people whining about not having a screen and buttons. So what. If you are skiing/snow boarding, who could use the damn buttons anyway?

Yea I hate operating my Macbook when I'm in the boxing ring. Though its not as bad as trying to operate my iPod Touch whilst scuba diving :mad:.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Remote from the head phones on the shuffle itself, but Apple is so stubborn they can't admit failure so I bet it is the same fail design this year.

Though personally I don't mind it, I use mine periodically at work and it works fine for me. Would be annoying trying to use it for exercise though with the cord running all over the place and the reported failures when the cord gets wet.

tactician1016

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2010
Worth the wait?

I apologize if this is off topic. I currently own a 80gb classic, and am planning to get the 4th gen touch 32gb. I also own a pair of in-ear headphones with remote (apple). Is the next shuffle worth a wait, should I buy one now, or not at all?

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_shuffle

At the very least; wait and see if the next offers anything particularly interesting for you. If it doesn't, you'll probably be able to find the current model being sold off a little cheaper

That's assuming you have no immediate need for a replacement player; I'm presuming not, and you're happy using your current iPod in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.