Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcdavies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yes, that RAM will be compatible with your computer. However it is not possible to tell you what the maximum amount of RAM that your computer will take with just the processor speed alone. Your computer will support at least 3GB of RAM, however your model may be able to support 6GB of RAM.

Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner and then "About this Mac" and then click on "More info..." and post what it says next to "Model Identifier". Once we see which one it is, we can tell you the max RAM that you can put in it :)

jcdavies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
hey thanks for the responce this is what it says

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

So my macbook has two slots i guess each with 512mb so if i replaced one of them with a 2gb ram than i would have 2.5gb Ram is that correct or would it be incompatible?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
hey thanks for the responce this is what it says

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

So my macbook has two slots i guess each with 512mb so if i replaced one of them with a 2gb ram than i would have 2.5gb Ram is that correct or would it be incompatible?

Alright, the max RAM you can put in it is 3GB. So with that 2GB stick you would have 2.5GB of RAM, correct.

jcdavies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Cheers you have been a great help.

Just out of interest how did you figure that out, 2 and the 1 after the macbook???

Does that mean one slot will fit 2gig and the second 1 gig??? If so how do i know which slot fits what?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Cheers you have been a great help.

Just out of interest how did you figure that out, 2 and the 1 after the macbook???

Does that mean one slot will fit 2gig and the second 1 gig??? If so how do i know which slot fits what?

No problem :)

And the model identifier tells which MacBook you have, so depending on the numbers it refers to the generation of the MacBook.

And you could put in a 2GB and a 1GB stick to max it out, yes. It doesn't matter which slot you put either of them.

351Windsor

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Florida
I have an early '08 black macbook 2.4ghz wit 2 gig of ram, I was planning to upgrade the 5400 rpm hard drive to a 7200, and the 2 gigs of ram to 4, mine is version 4,1 will it support the 4 gigs? and do you think these upgrades will make much of a difference?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have an early '08 black macbook 2.4ghz wit 2 gig of ram, I was planning to upgrade the 5400 rpm hard drive to a 7200, and the 2 gigs of ram to 4, mine is version 4,1 will it support the 4 gigs? and do you think these upgrades will make much of a difference?

Yours supports 6GB of RAM. And the RAM will make a noticeable difference, the hard drive on the other hand won't make a huge difference. The difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM is not that much. What you might consider instead is getting the Seagate Momentus XT. That will make a big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.