PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 17" Alum odd issues

Kaji79
Jul 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi all long time lurker, first time poster!

I recently picked up a powerbook with no display, and the keyboard/trackpad do not work.

When hooking a monitor to it it works just fine. So I ordered a new screen inverter to see if I can get it working.

The other issue I have is with the keyboard/trackpad.

Neither work, and the odd thing is the keyboard lights up when I shut the lights off.

Has anyone seen a nonworking keyboard do this? I have spent a few days reading, and I cannot figure out of the mouse and keyboard are combined or separate plugs. I will be cracking it open when the inverter shows up, so I will be checking the plugs.

I figured it's a hardware issues since I have reinstalled tiger, down pram resets etc to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

mrsir2009
Jul 12, 2010, 08:43 PM
Is it worth getting the screen and the keyboard and the trackpad replaced? Unless its just a connection.

666sheep
Jul 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
If it would be inverter, display shouldn't be completely black. You'd be able to see "something" on it.
Check connections before ordering replacement parts. Get yourself service manual for this PB and disassembly unit to check/reseat all possible ribbons and cables display and topcase related.

Kaji79
Jul 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah Sorry I meant to mention that I can everything if I shine a light on it :) I think it is worth since I picked it up for 20$ If it's just a 30 $ part, and a disconnected plug I can't complain for a 17" display :)

Kaji79
Jul 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
THe odd part is the keyboard lights up but does not work. Are they separate?

666sheep
Jul 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
IIRC keyboard backlight is on separate ribbon, but i coud be wrong. See here how it's builded: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-17-Inch-1-67-GHz-High-Res-Keyboard/1055/1

Kaji79
Jul 13, 2010, 01:15 PM
IIRC keyboard backlight is on separate ribbon, but i coud be wrong. See here how it's builded: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-17-Inch-1-67-GHz-High-Res-Keyboard/1055/1

Awesome thanks ! This helps a lot!