Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi folks I was sick of 4.0 crashing my fav apps (nba live is one) so I downgraded to 3.1.2 successfully. I have a 2g Ipod touch.

I added the following line to /etc/hosts in windows 7:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Then I downloaded the right firmware from this site (ver 3.1.2 only 3.1.3 does not work from this site)

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Then I synced my 4.0 touch and then did a click restore in itunes 9.2. This forced itunes to select the firmware file.

The upgrade was painless from there on! I then set the ipod as a new ipod and the old apps synced fine with Itunes even letting me know that 4 apps were meant for newer version of touch ios (4.0) and therefore they were not synced with the touch.

Many thanks to user liamkp and others for their patience and I hope this will help others sick of 4.0 ios.

Now my apps don't crash like they used to, the wifi signal is stable, and windows open quickly! Unlike 4.0 ios on 2g ipod touch!

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
I'm happy for you but...hasn't a shift-restore in iTunes always been possible?

Kafluke

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Hi folks I was sick of 4.0 crashing my fav apps (nba live is one) so I downgraded to 3.1.2 successfully. I have a 2g Ipod touch.

I added the following line to /etc/hosts in windows 7:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Then I downloaded the right firmware from this site (ver 3.1.2 only 3.1.3 does not work from this site)

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Then I synced my 4.0 touch and then did a click restore in itunes 9.2. This forced itunes to select the firmware file.

The upgrade was painless from there on! I then set the ipod as a new ipod and the old apps synced fine with Itunes even letting me know that 4 apps were meant for newer version of touch ios (4.0) and therefore they were not synced with the touch.

Many thanks to user liamkp and others for their patience and I hope this will help others sick of 4.0 ios.

Now my apps don't crash like they used to, the wifi signal is stable, and windows open quickly! Unlike 4.0 ios on 2g ipod touch!

Thats a pretty funny statement. That firmware from that site doesnt work for you because you don't have your shsh blobs on file with cydia. That 3.1.3 firmware from that site works just fine. YOu can't simply just pick any firmware you want and downgrade to it. You have to have those shsh blobs on file with Cydia. Thats the ip address that you put in your hosts file. That's cydia's server and you must have had your 3.1.2 blobs on file with cydia or else you wouldn't have been able to downgrade.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
As far as I know, 2G iPod touches don't need SHSH blobs or any of that and you can downgrade them any time you like, just like OG and 3G iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.